• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Cricket Season

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Concluded a long season 'in the coat' last Sunday, it had started on 22 April.

76 umpiring gigs of assorted levels. Well over 100 LBWs given - surely some of them must have been out

Highlights were my first games at Lords (OK, the Nursery End but still Lords) and The Oval and my first International (from one of the Test playing nations) player umpired.

One extremely tough and unpleasant League game. This resulted in two Disciplinary Reports (the first two I have ever submitted). One captain was done for orchestrating and leading persistent and excessive (in amount, volume and length) appeals and generally showing ill grace. He also, apparently, insulted me personally, although my colleague heard this I did not. If we'd both heard it he would have been well into the fire. One of his team mates was reported for illegal fielding (an automatic report) having left the field early in an over without umpires permission (he stepped into the trees to, ah hem, relieve himself) he came back on two balls later and happened to field the next delivery. Had he not fielded the ball we might have been able to have a quiet word of guidance on the correct protocol at the end of the over - as it wa,s penalty runs, and the automatic report, had to follow.

I admit I was quite down that evening and the following day, where I was lucky to do a game that, although serious, had two teams that play the game correctly, which helped get me back on the road.

Apart from that the League stuff was most enjoyable.

Comment of the season came in an U16s swish and giggle match involving two rather good private schools.

The ball is short and wide outside the off stump. The batsman sets up for the 'climb on' square cut that the delivery appears to deserve but the ball, after pitching, cuts in a bit. As a consequence the batsman has to adjust his shot and instead of giving it the kitchen sink gently steers it behind point.

A call from mid on.

"Ohhhhhh............. passive aggressive!................. He's got domestic issues!"

Psychoanalytical sledging!

I turned to the lad and applauded.

A fine comment wasted on the young.
"my first International (from one of the Test playing nations) player umpired."

explain

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
"my first International (from one of the Test playing nations) player umpired."

explain
I've umpired many 1st class players (current and former) and a few who have played for what might be considered minor cricket nations (such as Bermuda and USA) but in a game this season I umpired a game which included James Dalrymple who has played ODIs for England.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
25 off a ****load today, opening the batting.

Started off well, but just wasn't timing the ball so struggled to rotate the strike later on in my innings. Despite that managed to build a few partnerships, including a rather nice one involving a guy who went on to get a ton, and keep us roughly in position to chase down the total. Fell after 35-ish overs with the score about 130, chasing 250-odd in 60.

Was to an offie as well -- guy dropped one short on about leg stump, so I rocked back to pull it through square leg, only for it to kick up to head height somewhat randomly. Hooked it to short fine leg, who only just held on. I was pretty dirty with myself, really wanted to make it through to the drinks break about 5 overs later. We ended up 40 short of their total, bowled out with 7 overs to spare.

Apparently I was "batting really well" according to almost everyone. If that was batting well, then I'd love to actually feel good at the crease and see what happens then.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
25 off a ****load today, opening the batting.

Started off well, but just wasn't timing the ball so struggled to rotate the strike later on in my innings. Despite that managed to build a few partnerships, including a rather nice one involving a guy who went on to get a ton, and keep us roughly in position to chase down the total. Fell after 35-ish overs with the score about 130, chasing 250-odd in 60.

Was to an offie as well -- guy dropped one short on about leg stump, so I rocked back to pull it through square leg, only for it to kick up to head height somewhat randomly. Hooked it to short fine leg, who only just held on. I was pretty dirty with myself, really wanted to make it through to the drinks break about 5 overs later. We ended up 40 short of their total, bowled out with 7 overs to spare.

Apparently I was "batting really well" according to almost everyone. If that was batting well, then I'd love to actually feel good at the crease and see what happens then.
1st game of the season mate. I find it doesn't matter how many runs you score in your first dig it is just important that you bat for over an hour.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've not 100% sorted out my itinerary for my trip to Aus yet but just curious how easy it would be to pick up a gig for a side out there? Doubtful I'm going to be able to bring any of my gear with me or that it'd be worthwhile to do so but there's no way I'm going to Aus for any length of time and not having a hit/trying to bump someone.

Riggins

International Captain
Where are you going / what level do you (+ want to) play?

I can't imagine it would be very difficult to get a game unless you're only available for a really short time. Clubs always seem to have guys who are only here for a month or two.

Jarquis

I'm either going to be in Brisbane (Logan) or Sydney depending on a few things. I've still not quite got my head around how your system translates in terms of comparison with ours but I've played an OK standard. As for standard I'd wish to play - I won't turn my nose up at any sort of game but while I'm out there I'd like to make the most of it and have a decent go at a reasonable standard.

I'm hoping to be fixed in a place for ~6 months so the time thing shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

jan

State Vice-Captain
Played my first match of the season, an intra club friendly yesterday. Got bowled after making 5 runs at no.7, then bowled 2 decent (by my standard) overs. Cricket is back finally :)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Ha, we had an intra club friendly to open the season yesterday as well. I'm remarkably sore after it though. Must be getting old.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/66470-cricket-web-net-fantasy-test-draft.html

Sign up for this fantasy draft,where you could pick the likes of Marshall,Ambrose,Wasim,Sachin in your team! We have 4 more spots to be filled.If interested please do comment on this thread with your preferred team name.At the end a voting procedure will select the prune th no.of players to 8 and finally a final to pick who the best manager is.Mark my words it will be an amazing draft experience.For more info do visit this thread!

Be quick only 4 spots are vacant!

Jarquis

So first game last weekend, batting 2. First ball was a huge wide down to fine leg so we ran one. 2/0 off 0 balls became 2/1 as I gloved the first legitimate ball of the summer behind. Yay.

Yesterday went better.

jan

State Vice-Captain
First 40-over league game on Sunday. We lost by 10 wickets. And according to tradition I started the season with a duck, feebly pulled straight into bowler's hands. Sigh :(