Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Your Cricket Season: 2012-2013

congrats

how long have you been coaching for. even if its kids, teaching others improves your own skill at just about anything, a handy side benefit
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Qualified as a coach in 2003; been coaching district rep sides since 2006 and county sides since 2008.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Sunningwell II 183/6 (Pickup 100*)
    Kilkenny II 103

At some stage this is actually going to sink in.
    congrats
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer J_asonR's Avatar

The Weekends Cricket

How did your cricket go this weekend? Any good scores, wickets or fielding displays?

Personally, I had an average weekend of cricket.

Saturdays game being high scoring, but unfortunately not being able to contribute myself. My First XI hit a good total of 280/7 off 45 overs and the opponents had given up even before the end of lunch. Unfortunately this led to them simply defending any ball of a decent standard, giving us a very dull fielding display. Dull apart from one superb take from our vice-captain at gully diving to his left. It reminded me slightly of Strauss’ effort in the 2005 Ashes if any of you remember that. Our opponents ended up with a total of 174/9 which to be fair was around 80 runs too many as we could have easily had them for under 100 if we were on edge at all time.

Sundays game was a late call up for me. Only being a friendly, a mate of mine from another local team needed an extra player so gave me a ring. Luckily we batted first as we posted a total of 330/4 off 35 overs. I hit a decent 102 and retired, but against an aged bowling attack it wasn’t much of an effort if I’m brutally honest. Again, after posting a good score, we were all a bit laid back in the field and bowled the bowlers that would probably not have gotten a bowl if the game was going to end up a bit tighter. No spectacular fielding displays to mention in this one, but the second innings finished with a total of 153/8 on the board. One player on their team scoring around 60ish with a 3lb bat, that thing was HUGE.

Anyway, I guess it was slightly better than average with an average of 107 for the full weekend. Looking forward to my midweek Wednesday game against one of my best mates and his local team! Shouldn’t be too much competition for the squad we’ve got, but will be a good fun game as they always are when you know the opponents.
    The English South African.

Batting is simple (3W's):
    Watch it
    Wait for it
    WHACK IT!

Hey mate, just so you know, there's a thread a bit like this already...

Your Cricket Season: 2012-2013

Sounds like your cricket's going ok!

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Congrats Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Sunningwell II 183/6 (Pickup 100*)
    Kilkenny II 103

At some stage this is actually going to sink in.
    That's definitely a relief! Debut century, I had the same feeling first game of the season, and it's a weight off your shoulders! Keep it up.

How did everyones game go today?
    My first XI played in a rural ground just outside Southampton and it was a cracker! Nicest ground I've ever player on I think, solid wicket and perfect outfield! Slightly uphill on one of the straight boundaries, but it's nice to run once in a while I guess!

We batted first and the openers got to around 70 before the first wicket.. Being number 3, I went in confident as ever and had to start off facing two left arm offies.. One of which could spin the ball unbelievable amount, and the other who simply lobbed it and hoped not to be hit too hard!
    Anyway, got my eye in and got to a decent 62 before somehow lobbing one up to square cover off a forward defence.. Anyway, a good partnership of 122 upped the run rate and after I got out we just kicked off and ended up on 271-5 off the 45 overs.

Fortunately our bowling attack managed to keep the opponents doing to 212-8 and again, no chance of finishing it off for some reason!

jan
    Took two wickets in a friendly 40-over against touring team from England. Scored 3 runs iirc (caught by bowler) and patiently faced many wides. We lost though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    aspiring social cricket player, left-handed batsman, grainy low-res streams watcher

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Garsington III 182/3; Sunningwell II 151/5 (Pickup 83).

Rain-reduced to 35 overs; their number three hit 122* as our change bowling served up a miserable diet of filth, tripe and rubbish. We found it very difficult to get anything off the square for eight overs, leaving us with 8rpo to get, which we managed to get close to until the opening bowlers came back at the end. I was LBW in the final over, following a (very thin) inside edge. Karma, I suppose, given that I was given not-out on 5 last time out due to a phantom inside edge...

It is rather surreal to go from joke batsman / tail-ender to the bloke scoring more than half the team's runs on a regular basis. 268 Saturday runs @ 89.3 this summer. I know how Misbah feels...
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 15-06-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Positives of today: we won! And I took a good catch!

Negatives of today: got a tanks for coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

caught and bowled the gun bat in the penultimate over to win a lms fixture today, 2 wickets & only a couple of runs at the end of our innings plus an outfield catch and a hard running 1 handed drop for six. we won by about 4 runs, good game

jan
    Was part of the opening pair in a t20 and was bowled for a duck third ball I faced. Straight under the toe of my bat.
    Batted at no.4 in a following friendly and managed 5 I think, then feebly pulled straight to a guy at square leg.
    Not satisfied with my batting

Got a game coming up against Mordialloc CC from Victoria. Having been spent time in cricketing backwaters for the past 5 years I'm looking forward to a game of a potentially good standard. Anyone heard of them? Are they a decent team?
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Well I guess you could say I've had a pretty good week in and out of cricket.. First of all, the Isle Of White Festival was an absolute blast, and I've definitely got the festival bug!

Secondly, I hit another top score on Wednesday with a score of 164 in 13.2, 8 ball overs ..

Unfortunately the opponents had given up after probably the first two overs after having posted a total of 79-0 off 16 balls! My opening partner and myself just went off on their openers and from then on in the onslaught didn't stop!
    We managed to get a total of 280-2 off the 14 lots of 8 balls and I don't think anyone expected the opponents to get anywhere near us! And they didn't. We ended up bowling them out for 116 off 13.6 overs..

Could have been a pretty short game if they batted first!

Current Stats for this season(Wednesdays and Saturdays since 1 May):
    Total Innings: 8
    Total Runs: 619
    Total Times Out: 5
    Total Average: 123.8
    Saturday Average: 71
    Wednesday Average: 152
    Best Score: 164
    Fifties: 1
    Centuries: 4

Unfortunately can't get my strike rate up as the scorers don't go into that much detail.. But still, I'm a happy chappy.

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread Information