• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Cricket Season

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed if you don't pick up at least one 5fer each season you are doing something wrong. One of our blokes took a 5fer in 2.2 overs which made a farce out of 5fers as well.

This last year was better however as we qualified for a better grade so there were less free wickets on offer.

It is especially tough batting against the two piece.

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah i dont even get that many 5fers as after the first couple they shut up shop often, and as i said i don't beat too many for pace. so a lot of 3/20's and the like (12 in edges through slips probably)

jan

State Vice-Captain
Number 4 at St.James, duck. Lost.
Number 11 at West Chiltington, 0 not out. Lost.
Didnt bat at Hailsham. Lost.
Number 2 at Rottingdean, 1 run (which was leg bye honestly) - most enjoyable because I batted long by my standards, 15 overs imo. Draw.
Watched the FL T20 quarter-finals in Southampton.

Brilliant tour of the Brighton area. Great facilities, nice people and valuable experience for me :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Number 4 at St.James, duck. Lost.
Number 11 at West Chiltington, 0 not out. Lost.
Didnt bat at Hailsham. Lost.
Number 2 at Rottingdean, 1 run (which was leg bye honestly) - most enjoyable because I batted long by my standards, 15 overs imo. Draw.
Watched the FL T20 quarter-finals in Southampton.

Brilliant tour of the Brighton area. Great facilities, nice people and valuable experience for me :)
Probably one of my favourite posts on the forum. No ego, very positive and love of cricket. You deserve some runs in the future and the cricket Gods should smile on you because of this post :)

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is remarkably similar to my first ever overseas tour with the school team jan. Even the leg bye :laugh:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
went in for my first session of pre-season, bowled OK, not to much flight and low on the revs, but landing my offies OK, batting wise I was solid and compact, but pretty loose outside off stump, barely laid bat on anything off the stumps.

J_asonR

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
A Successful Season

I've only just recovered from a big weekend of celebratory cricket!

On Saturday, my first XI team needed 22/24 to secure promotion and we did it. We managed to secure a 23 point win after bowling out the opponents for 136 and knocking off the runs whilst only losing 3 wickets.

Looking forward to a better standard of cricket next summer and a big winter of serious training!

I'm personally looking to be in the top 3 next year and will need to get some serious training/fitness work done over the winter to allow for this. Will also be taking my mate (fastest bowler in the league) down to the indoor nets to get some serious practice against the faster bowlers.

Hopefully all goes well and looking forward to a season in the Hampshire County Division 2 next Summer!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We were set 130 to win off 27 overs in a two day match. I told the captain to put me down the order and I said I would dunny door it if we lost wickets. I walked out at 50-5. The captain was batting with me and didn't want to throw in the towel. he pumped some fours and when he got out we need 50 to win off 7 overs. The incoming batsman told me it was up to me to pump it and he would work singles. They thought they had it in the bag so they brought on some inswing bowler who I pumped for 12. We smacked some more and needed 7 off the last over. He bowled me a full delivery and i tried to hit a boundary and skied it. Our supporting batsman then hit a four but got bowled off the last ball. We made 129 instead of 130 and I am gutted we got so close but couldn't win it. Match ended as an eventful draw.

Prensel

U19 Cricketer
Made 54 today and we only set a target of 114 for them to win. Got one wicket should of had two, the guy who got dropped ending up getting 66 runs, he got dropped on 4. They were 8 wickets down in the end so that one guy made a hell of a difference. Dirty slogger..

jan

State Vice-Captain
My 2013 season in stats (compared to my teammates' best performances):

total runs: 14 (257)
best knock: 5 (74*)
total wickets: 3 (29)
best spell: 2 for 34 (5 for 13)

This was my 3rd season. The only thing I think I have improved at is fielding. Trying to figure out what goals to set for 2014.
Probably will arrange for regular coaching sessions with our ozzie guy in the nets too, did a few this year and it was really cool and he doesnt charge much. Tougher fitness regime to start in January!

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I moved up to the third grade team today and made 60 batting at three, however we fell about 30 short while chasing 250 off 50 overs. Overall across all grades I'm averaging a tick under 35 this season

91Jmay

International Coach
I moved up to the third grade team today and made 60 batting at three, however we fell about 30 short while chasing 250 off 50 overs. Overall across all grades I'm averaging a tick under 35 this season
Averaging 29 then? That's the kind of tick ratio I use when rounding up.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well I suppose I might as well make the most of one of these all-nighters with a bit of a wrap-up for the 2013 season...

Let's start statistically:
Innings: 15
Not Out: 3
Runs: 467
Average: 38.92

For reference, at the start of the summer my lifetime record (yes, I've been keeping track since I was 12) was 757 runs @ 9.71. Let's just say that keeping a detailed statistical track wasn't difficult in the early years.

Over the winter, as well as investing in a new bat from B3, I spent a good hour every Wednesday afternoon facing up to the bowling machine in the school gym, with the help of a fellow teacher who plays at an altogether higher level than me - which immediately gave me two options: (i) train at the same level as him, or (ii) go to the effort of altering the machine every ten minutes. Inertia can be a wonderfully profitable thing.

The big technical aim over the winter was an attempt to cut out the counter-rotation in my hips that was leading to my squaring up when aiming to drive straight, consequently playing inside the line (and generally getting bowled). Plenty of buckets of balls later, I'd lost off peg several times, but had no doubt that I was striking the ball more cleanly and more consistently than ever. I'd continued to read plenty of literature about coaching and player development, the growth mindset and clear thinking, and I had complete determination that this season was going to be different. I put my hand up to open the batting, and our season began on a green deck at Hanborough.

Facing two left-arm bowlers, I spent the majority of the first hour blocking, leaving and nicking things through the cordon - it took 20 overs before I scored in front of square - but, as I discovered over the summer, the art of getting runs is about seeing off the new ball, and the opening bowlers, and getting stuck in to the change. The pressure dropped, the field fell back, and the runs started to come: and a pull shot took me to my first ever fifty. I went on to 69, including a huge six over long-on (which I was aiming far, far squarer) as we posted 220+. Sadly, our bowling attack wasn't equal to the task, and Hanborough recorded an easy win.

This, however, was just the beginning. I've read quite a bit about ironic processing lately (in short, a child heading out to bat thinking "don't get out, don't get out" is going to be heading back again fairly shortly), and this summer these thoughts - which plagued my mind before - were absent. Watch the ball; hit the ball. Simple game.

A couple of T20 games brought low scores as I aimed too large too early, but the next Saturday game only yieded a scratchy18, compiled in almost 24 overs on a painfully slow track. It was, however the longest crease-occupation on any side in a low-scoring game and ensured our middle order could finish the run chase.

Next up was a Cup game against Kilkenny, flying high in the division below, and their opening bowlers (incredibly including a guy who went to primary school with my little brother) gave us as much - if not more - of a test than any other pair managed. I had a life on 5: plumb LBW only to be saved by a phantom inside edge, but we ground onwards, waiting for the change bowling, and when it came, we cashed in. I am still far from sure what bowling left-arm medium pace half-trackers without any cover on the leg side boundary was aiming to achieve, but I didn't complain. A middle-order collapse saw 88/0 turn into 125/5, and I decided it was time to start farming the strike.

I was dropped more than once: but when you hit the ball, hard, at tired fielders then you will get luck. I had little idea of my own score; I just wanted to get the team score up to 160, and once we were there I thought I'd just go for it. With an over to go, someone yelled out that I was on 96. I wasn't facing. I got back on strike (thanks to my partner sacrificing his wicket), skewed a two over midwicket, played and missed and then, with a refreshing lack of thought for the circumstances took a single. Fortunately, the new batsman was aware of the scoreboard, was alert to the scrambled leg bye from the fifth ball, and was backing up sufficiently aggressively to be able to make it home even though I mis-hit my drive to cover point. Less than a month after a maiden fifty, I'd finished 100*.

The next game brought another fifty - 83 to be precise - but it was once again in vain as we fell short of our target. On sheer volume of runs, I ended up in the first XI for the rest of season - and whilst this rather put an end to my run of form, the good fortune that helped me on my way to my ton deserted me; LBW off the inside edge, or full tosses hit straight to fielders rather than a yard to their side. I also developed Shane Watson-like tendency to plant that front foot across the line of the ball that both (i) led to more LBW decisions than I'd have liked and (ii) made it very difficult to pull any pace. I managed a couple more half-centuries in friendly cricket - 57 from ~40 balls in a T20 game having (for arguably the first time ever) been picked, effectively, as a ringer and told to bat at three, and 69* from ~60 in an end-of-season club friendly match that finished the summer on a high note.

I'd never have imagined a chain of events like that for the summer, and it just goes to show the value of purposeful practice and training to develop skill levels. This winter, I know I can tell the boys I coach that anybody can make 100 if they work hard enough, and know that it's true. I've also got to work on that front foot planting, and develop my back foot game, but if 2013 can pan out like that, who's to say what 2014 might bring?

Last edited: