• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Cricket Season

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As some may know, just over a year ago I had my face rebuilt after a freak cricket accident. Apart from one random game, I had not played since. Recently, though, Ive had a few nets to see if I want to get back into it.

It has been going OK but I don't have the extra two yards of pace that I had in my prime - which probably makes sense given I am 36 and have not played a serious game of cricket in about 5 years.

I took a vid at the nets last night and the answer for the loss of pace is clear. Obviously is still sharpish (it's only of 6 steps or so but I was trying) but only when I see it on tape do I see that I now have an old man's action. All the dynamic aspects have been reduced.

- Shortened delivery stride (bad hamstrings)
- Reduced range of motion on the arc of the front leg
- left leg collapses
- back foot bisects the crease rather than being parallel
- There is a hitch at the top of the action that breaks the fluidity

Here is the link. The first guy, in yellow, is a FC and ODI player.

Back in the saddle - YouTube

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All bar the first one fixable by just playing/training more, yeah? Unless your knees are shot?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
All bar the first one fixable by just playing/training more, yeah? Unless your knees are shot?
It may take some commitment but, you are correct, they may be fixable. Luckily the knees are fine. My bones and joints are good, groin, quads and hamstrings are not.

not sure how you can tell that from that video other than clearly still sharpish
You can see most of those things, the original is of higher quality and the balls do not run together so quickly. But we also took a few close up vids of my action that I used to make my analysis.

The biggest concern is that the delivery stride and how much the left leg collapses isn't the same every ball and it leads to the ball not always coming out right.

uvelocity

International Coach
tails never fails, got a duck, we got bowled out for 108 in 30 overs. they chased it down for the loss of 6, got 2 wickets not enough. may lose top spot. it bloody rained at drinks which didn't help our cause

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We are 148-2 at stumps. I am number 5 so may get a bat next week. At this point just happy to see the lads pile on the runs.

The game may be heading towards a draw as they made 223 in their first dig. Some of our guys want to declare over night and try to roll them in their second dig.

I personally think the best chance of winning is to bat quickly to 270 (which will be a high score for us) and then try to roll them and give our selves a small total to chase in the 4th inning.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The length of time you bat on after reaching a total is directly related to how much you hate the opposition.

Riggins

International Captain
yea my post was purely in terms of forcing a result. if they're a bunch of ****s they can field til 6.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Finished a coaching session tonight feeling tremendously good about cricket. It was with a group of players we've been working with for some time (U11 now) and was one where we picked out some little, subtle technical intricacies with several of them that really made a difference to how they were hitting the ball. Two things were great - the progress they made and their attitudes toward it all. Joy to coach it.

Next week we are doing a wicketkeeping master class with the County/District U13 and below. I have a bunch of drills and ideas in my mind, but has anyone got any favourites?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Rolled for 29 by the team with the ridiculous quick I've spoken about before. They make 150 in 20-odd overs and declare.

I then manage to get us off for light in the third over, pissing off the opposition captain (and ridiculous quick), who were obviously hoping to roll us outright in a day.

Opening the batting against a fresher ridiculous quick will be ITSTL. Some guys in our team thought he may max out at 135. I reckon he's operating more around the 125 mark.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
There is a 55 over limit on the 1st inning. The decision is to bat them out aggressively get a small lead and try to roll them.

Riggins

International Captain
There is a 55 over limit on the 1st inning. The decision is to bat them out aggressively get a small lead and try to roll them.
In 2 day games the biggest limiting factor to outright wins is the time you need to bowl them out in the second. Best chance is to pull out as soon as you pass them.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Just played my first game of cricket in 2 years!, bowling first change i got a decent amount of outswing with pace, but struggled with front-foot no balls in an effort to pitch the ball up, which really put me off. I still ended up building decent pressure, but not enough to pick up any wickets

Hopefully once i fix my release i can start picking up some wickets