• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Cricket Season

J_asonR

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one keeping this going and I'm new here.. Does anybody else play weekly cricket?!

So my first XI team played Sway CC on Saturday, we bowled them out for 56, and Marvin Atapattu's cousin (his actual cousin, not a racist remark in the slightest) was the only batsman we couldn't get out. Fortunately giving him a single at the beginning of each over was enough to keep him from getting into his stride. Unfortunately I didn't play much part in the fielding as no catches came to me at 2nd slip, but first and gully got peppered, luckily taking them all!

After a quick turn around (tea scheduled for 5:30pm) our openers went in as confident as anything with such a low score to chase. In the first over, one was out and I was in.. Two more wickets fell around me, and we finished the game on 57-3, and I contributed 34*.

Good game all in all.. Unfortunately the 2's couldn't get their win even with the added support from the majority of the 1st XI and their beverages.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Unfortunately working Saturdays rather punctuates my cricket season during term-time. We've broken up now, though, so should get back in action.

I did omit to mention last weekend's game, however. First XI callup... 22-ball duck in a ten-wicket defeat. The opposition's captain did refer to me as "the best wicket-keeper he's played against in a long time", though - mainly on the grounds that I just stood up to everything and hopefully not at all down to the fact that his son is in my county side...

Had the honour of putting together a group of boys for some workshops with the PCA Masters XI yesterday afternoon - had some good chat about coaching batting with Dean Headley, and also managed to take a diving catch against a tennis ball machine where Andy Caddick and Min Patel had failed to do so moments before.

Summer starts here!

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
69(70) last Saturday. Opened and we were chasing 180 odd. Got out when we needed 93 off 96 (shortly after) and I decided I was going to go for it, got a half tracker from a leggie. Rocked back to carve it through/over cover and chopped on. Was devastated.

5(15) last Sunday. Much the same situation except I walked out at 5. Opening batsman who was not out had been on 2*(35) at one point chasing ~210 off 40. He showed no signs of getting on with it despite the RRR being ~6.5, I decided that I was targeting the next ball. Missed it.

This Saturday batting 3 made 0(5) got a short and wide one which I slapped to point. Was livid with myself. Should have been four and up and running. In the end we finished up 15 or so short chasing 152 off 45. I really should have just taken my time and carried my bat.

This Sunday. Hit and giggle. Opened and made 30 odd off 20 odd. Got bored and decided to treat it as middle practice. Eventually clean bowled after an overs worth of attempted 'death batting'. Kept wicket, first time ever that I stood up without a lid. 2 byes down the legside when I was too busy worrying about what might have been about to happen to my teeth. 3 caught behinds and a stumping. One caught behind stood up, one pretty regulation taken in front of first and one top edge running back towards the boundary which I overran and took falling onto my bag.

Decent 2 weekends I guess.

jan

State Vice-Captain
We have a t20 game on saturday after one month break. Not much cricket going on during summer holiday.
I have at least added extra practice sessions focusing on the very basic stuff with the bat.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
It was hot today. Especially as I hadn't played for a couple of weeks and hadn't been outside much since it turned warm. Got out to the middle and the sun was reflecting off the wicket. Another defeat.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It was hot, wasn't it? We thought we'd done the hard work by bowling Dorchester out for 153, but we only got 89. I took a good, parried-back catch at long leg and was LBW off a significant inside edge for 5.

J_asonR

I know how getting 5 feels! We played top of the league and managed to squeeze out our sixth win in a row, now a strong second place! Kept them down to 186-7 and knocked them off in 42 overs.. Wicket was hard, ball was swinging, a few difficult catches went down when we were fielding but still managed to keep on top of them and keep the score down.

Fielding well, 2 good catches in the slips, after dropping a left handed diving catch which simply didn't stick.. Ended up taking a strong two handed catch, low and right to our fastest bowler(up there at about 78mph according to recent speedo), and then luckily took a left handed catch to get out their top scorer.

Decent game all in all but need to get my head back into my batting game! Not been doing well recently after kicking off the season with 4 centuries in 6 games!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Went on tour this weekend for a wandering side run by the parent of one of the boys I coach... I could possibly have been classed as a "ringer". First time for everything.

I made 57 on Friday night in a T20 with six fours and three sixes: we needed 85 off nine overs and got them comfortably (although this chap finished the job after I got out LBW sweeping), but lost on Saturday failing to defend 208 due to a severe lack of bowling. I'd made 21 before gloving one down the leg-side when I really should have killed some of the children in the playground instead.

As I am a complete nerd, I can also present the following showing my entire life as a batsman. The orange line is a cumulative average - now 1127 @ 12.81

J_asonR

As I am a complete nerd, I can also present the following showing my entire life as a batsman. The orange line is a cumulative average - now 1127 @ 12.81

That's cool! At least it's on the up! How long have you been tracking this for?

I've just started tracking my progresses with batting this season, and next will get into detail with bowling too, now quite sure how that'd work on a chart though..

------------------

I personally had a half decent weekend.. Bowled first on a really short boundary to see how the other team played their game and they managed to hit 314.. Unfortunately, we only managed to get 311.. I hit 49, and felt like I could win the game for the team then waited for a slower ball bouncer and didn't commit to the shot as much as I should have, and got caught on the boundary! Then the only other player who we had some faith in the win it was clean bowled in the penultimate over.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tracking it from the very first innings I ever had, aged 12. I didn't bat very regularly as a child - and when I did get the chance, I got out.

I joined CW in March 2003; my stats at that stage were 26 runs @ 2.36 (after 16 innings). Proof positive that practice leads to improvement.

Today I opened for the 1st XI as the guy who we had expected to open had strained his hamstring in the field, whilst the opposition were busy smashing us around the ground. They made 282/7 in their 45 overs, and I took the skin off both elbows throwing myself around the boundary in the process. In reply, we knew there was a lot of heavy rain coming, so wanted to prevent them from taking too many wickets (and getting bonus points) before the game was abandoned. We batted out 21 overs, and were 66/0 when the heavens opened, meaning - for all their dominance - in terms of match points, it was only 10-8.

I was dropped at second slip - playing a shot that suspiciously resembled catching practice - but otherwise was pretty pleased to get some runs (24*) in the first team for the first time. I need to keep working on my back foot play outside off stump: it's either an Ian Bell late cut/run to third man, or a miss if I try a "real" cut shot. Definitely needs to be the target for the winter.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Tracking it from the very first innings I ever had, aged 12. I didn't bat very regularly as a child - and when I did get the chance, I got out.

I joined CW in March 2003; my stats at that stage were 26 runs @ 2.36 (after 16 innings). Proof positive that practice leads to improvement.

Today I opened for the 1st XI as the guy who we had expected to open had strained his hamstring in the field, whilst the opposition were busy smashing us around the ground. They made 282/7 in their 45 overs, and I took the skin off both elbows throwing myself around the boundary in the process. In reply, we knew there was a lot of heavy rain coming, so wanted to prevent them from taking too many wickets (and getting bonus points) before the game was abandoned. We batted out 21 overs, and were 66/0 when the heavens opened, meaning - for all their dominance - in terms of match points, it was only 10-8.

I was dropped at second slip - playing a shot that suspiciously resembled catching practice - but otherwise was pretty pleased to get some runs (24*) in the first team for the first time. I need to keep working on my back foot play outside off stump: it's either an Ian Bell late cut/run to third man, or a miss if I try a "real" cut shot. Definitely needs to be the target for the winter.
your join date disagrees

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Training with a uni squad atm, gonna turn out illegally for them in a practice game next weekend, hope I don't **** up. It's amazing how much I've regressed since from when I was 15. I started playing when I was 12 and by 15 I was in the national set up for the respective age groups. Since then it's been a downhill slide where so many ****s I used to dominate in my age group are now much better than me while I never improved much, if at all. Serving NS hasn't helped of course. At least the army and police force have teams, civil defence doesn't have ****, so I basically haven't played for 2 years.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah, winter down here in Aus, I'm trying to reinvent myself as an off-spinner after years as a failed batsman (only 17 so I have some time), have some good variations but the accuracy isn't there yet.

Riggins

International Captain
yeah, winter down here in Aus, I'm trying to reinvent myself as an off-spinner after years as a failed batsman (only 17 so I have some time), have some good variations but the accuracy isn't there yet.
what state u in?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In the spirit of Neil, I've dug out all the old scores I could find and plotted them on a graph. Red bar represents the time at which I switched clubs.

There are 4 or 5 seasons worth of terrible scores not included in that graph (no access to scorebooks, no online record going back that far), so the statistics at my new club are the only ones that have any relevance.

555 @ 13.41 since the switch, I think (graph might have one rogue innings of 6 in there; getting two different results on innings-by-innings and season analysis atm).

Career figures of 11/256 (~4.20rpo) and 21 dismissals to supplement my mediocre batting.

Last edited: