• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Cricket Season

uvelocity

International Coach
congrats

how long have you been coaching for. even if its kids, teaching others improves your own skill at just about anything, a handy side benefit

J_asonR

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The Weekends Cricket

How did your cricket go this weekend? Any good scores, wickets or fielding displays?

Personally, I had an average weekend of cricket.

Saturdays game being high scoring, but unfortunately not being able to contribute myself. My First XI hit a good total of 280/7 off 45 overs and the opponents had given up even before the end of lunch. Unfortunately this led to them simply defending any ball of a decent standard, giving us a very dull fielding display. Dull apart from one superb take from our vice-captain at gully diving to his left. It reminded me slightly of Strauss’ effort in the 2005 Ashes if any of you remember that. Our opponents ended up with a total of 174/9 which to be fair was around 80 runs too many as we could have easily had them for under 100 if we were on edge at all time.

Sundays game was a late call up for me. Only being a friendly, a mate of mine from another local team needed an extra player so gave me a ring. Luckily we batted first as we posted a total of 330/4 off 35 overs. I hit a decent 102 and retired, but against an aged bowling attack it wasn’t much of an effort if I’m brutally honest. Again, after posting a good score, we were all a bit laid back in the field and bowled the bowlers that would probably not have gotten a bowl if the game was going to end up a bit tighter. No spectacular fielding displays to mention in this one, but the second innings finished with a total of 153/8 on the board. One player on their team scoring around 60ish with a 3lb bat, that thing was HUGE.

Anyway, I guess it was slightly better than average with an average of 107 for the full weekend. Looking forward to my midweek Wednesday game against one of my best mates and his local team! Shouldn’t be too much competition for the squad we’ve got, but will be a good fun game as they always are when you know the opponents.

J_asonR

Sunningwell II 183/6 (Pickup 100*)
Kilkenny II 103

At some stage this is actually going to sink in.
That's definitely a relief! Debut century, I had the same feeling first game of the season, and it's a weight off your shoulders! Keep it up.

J_asonR

How did everyones game go today?
My first XI played in a rural ground just outside Southampton and it was a cracker! Nicest ground I've ever player on I think, solid wicket and perfect outfield! Slightly uphill on one of the straight boundaries, but it's nice to run once in a while I guess!

We batted first and the openers got to around 70 before the first wicket.. Being number 3, I went in confident as ever and had to start off facing two left arm offies.. One of which could spin the ball unbelievable amount, and the other who simply lobbed it and hoped not to be hit too hard!
Anyway, got my eye in and got to a decent 62 before somehow lobbing one up to square cover off a forward defence.. Anyway, a good partnership of 122 upped the run rate and after I got out we just kicked off and ended up on 271-5 off the 45 overs.

Fortunately our bowling attack managed to keep the opponents doing to 212-8 and again, no chance of finishing it off for some reason!

jan

State Vice-Captain
Took two wickets in a friendly 40-over against touring team from England. Scored 3 runs iirc (caught by bowler) and patiently faced many wides. We lost though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Garsington III 182/3; Sunningwell II 151/5 (Pickup 83).

Rain-reduced to 35 overs; their number three hit 122* as our change bowling served up a miserable diet of filth, tripe and rubbish. We found it very difficult to get anything off the square for eight overs, leaving us with 8rpo to get, which we managed to get close to until the opening bowlers came back at the end. I was LBW in the final over, following a (very thin) inside edge. Karma, I suppose, given that I was given not-out on 5 last time out due to a phantom inside edge...

It is rather surreal to go from joke batsman / tail-ender to the bloke scoring more than half the team's runs on a regular basis. 268 Saturday runs @ 89.3 this summer. I know how Misbah feels...

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
caught and bowled the gun bat in the penultimate over to win a lms fixture today, 2 wickets & only a couple of runs at the end of our innings plus an outfield catch and a hard running 1 handed drop for six. we won by about 4 runs, good game

jan

State Vice-Captain
Was part of the opening pair in a t20 and was bowled for a duck third ball I faced. Straight under the toe of my bat.
Batted at no.4 in a following friendly and managed 5 I think, then feebly pulled straight to a guy at square leg.
Not satisfied with my batting :(

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Got a game coming up against Mordialloc CC from Victoria. Having been spent time in cricketing backwaters for the past 5 years I'm looking forward to a game of a potentially good standard. Anyone heard of them? Are they a decent team?

J_asonR

Well I guess you could say I've had a pretty good week in and out of cricket.. First of all, the Isle Of White Festival was an absolute blast, and I've definitely got the festival bug!

Secondly, I hit another top score on Wednesday with a score of 164 in 13.2, 8 ball overs :)..

Unfortunately the opponents had given up after probably the first two overs after having posted a total of 79-0 off 16 balls! My opening partner and myself just went off on their openers and from then on in the onslaught didn't stop!
We managed to get a total of 280-2 off the 14 lots of 8 balls and I don't think anyone expected the opponents to get anywhere near us! And they didn't. We ended up bowling them out for 116 off 13.6 overs..

Could have been a pretty short game if they batted first!

Current Stats for this season(Wednesdays and Saturdays since 1 May):
Total Innings: 8
Total Runs: 619
Total Times Out: 5
Total Average: 123.8
Saturday Average: 71
Wednesday Average: 152
Best Score: 164
Fifties: 1
Centuries: 4

Unfortunately can't get my strike rate up as the scorers don't go into that much detail.. But still, I'm a happy chappy.

Stapel

International Regular
Worth posting here I guess: Got my best figures ever: 3 for 15 from 4. Too bad I missed out on a hat-trick, as the ball just flew over short mid-wicket's head.

J_asonR

Worth posting here I guess: Got my best figures ever: 3 for 15 from 4. Too bad I missed out on a hat-trick, as the ball just flew over short mid-wicket's head.
Sounds good! What do you bowl? I'm guessing it was a shorter game? Maybe 20 overs each way?

Stapel

International Regular
Sounds good! What do you bowl? I'm guessing it was a shorter game? Maybe 20 overs each way?
Well, our opponents were all out for 80 runs in 20 overs.... But it was a 35-over game. Easiest win of the season! Our competition format has 12 games of 35 overs. There are 7 teams and we play all oppenonets twice.

My stock ball is a medium paced (or slow paced :) ) off-cutter. It really depends on how the seam lands. The once-an-over variation ball is an extra effort quicker one with a terribly unreliable length. It's how I picked the first wicket. It was meant to be yorker length, but ended up as a please-smack-me-full-toss. Batsman didn't pick it up and missed it completely while mowing across the line. The ball landed at the bottom of the off-stump.

J_asonR

Well, our opponents were all out for 80 runs in 20 overs.... But it was a 35-over game. Easiest win of the season! Our competition format has 12 games of 35 overs. There are 7 teams and we play all oppenonets twice.

My stock ball is a medium paced (or slow paced :) ) off-cutter. It really depends on how the seam lands. The once-an-over variation ball is an extra effort quicker one with a terribly unreliable length. It's how I picked the first wicket. It was meant to be yorker length, but ended up as a please-smack-me-full-toss. Batsman didn't pick it up and missed it completely while mowing across the line. The ball landed at the bottom of the off-stump.
Sounds like you could be quite a hassle to bat against, nice one! Well at least your full toss wasn't too off length if it landed at the base of the stumps.. I remember a game I hit 164, and two balls from the end got a stupidly high full toss that was so slow and dropping, went to swipe across the line and got bowled too.. Very annoying..

But good effort! I like the sound of your competition format, you can probably work out what you'll need to do to get those batsmen out next time which would help!