• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Swing bowling

mono

U19 Debutant
Are there any bowlers active today that can swing the ball in both direction at pace. By both ways i don't mean some one with out swing getting in swing due to reverse swing. I've seen praveen kumar swing both ways but that's just about it. Does anderson swing both ways?

TumTum

Banned
Are there any bowlers active today that can swing the ball in both direction at pace. By both ways i don't mean some one with out swing getting in swing due to reverse swing. I've seen praveen kumar swing both ways but that's just about it. Does anderson swing both ways?
:naughty:

He can, but he still has preferences and needs certain conditions to make it happen.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dale Steyn can move it both ways when he needs to, but his brilliance is that he can go for swing or crank up the pace depending on what's needed.

There are a few, but one name I don't expect to be mentioned here is Ryan Sidebottom. For a sadly brief period of time he was world class.

I rate PK as a swinger, incidentally. Think he deserves a go with a Duke when India come over here.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Zaheer can also swing it both ways. Although he is more of seam bowler than swing.

smash84

The Tiger King
Amir and Asif seem to be quite active off the field :ph34r:

Can't recall Umar Gul in test matches but I think he does have the ability to swing the ball both ways

mono

U19 Debutant
thanks for the responses.

I'll take the forum's word on anderson, but i don't think zaheer & Steyn swing it both ways. They both have out swing, assuming they're bowling to right handers.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rick Ponting clearly criminally under-rated with the ball. Check the hoop!

The time he got Vaughan was one of the most glorious moments in Ashes history. In a weaker team, he probably would have bowled more. Was no mug.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha remember him getting Vaughan like it was yesterday. So much lol.

In answer to the question, Zaheer, Praveen and Anderson are the only guys who can do it consistently I think. Not sure if Steyn bowls much in-swing as opposed to just angling it in at high speed.

TumTum

Banned
thanks for the responses.

I'll take the forum's word on anderson, but i don't think zaheer & Steyn swing it both ways. They both have out swing, assuming they're bowling to right handers.
I may be wrong, but doesn't Zaheer have the in-swinger to the RHB (or out-swinger to the LHB)?

Borges

International Regular
In answer to the question, Zaheer, Praveen and Anderson are the only guys who can do it consistently I think.
With caveats. Anderson only on one of his good days (if swinging it means swinging it consistently and with control).

Zaheer and Praveen only if 'with pace' is not a requirement.

Not sure if Steyn bowls much in-swing as opposed to just angling it in at high speed.
Agreed. He can seam it in at very high speed, though. Of the current crop of fast bowlers, as a complete test package, no one comes anywhere remotely close to Steyn.

What might have been: Bond. The booming inswinger was his stock ball, but in the later part of his career he used the outswinger as a surprise weapon with great effect. Along with Steyn, would have become one of the all-time greats if he was less fragile.

There are a few, but one name I don't expect to be mentioned here is Ryan Sidebottom. For a sadly brief period of time he was world class.
Absolutely brilliant in patches. The spell I remember most vividly is a magical spell of nine overs - almost all of them bowled at Tendulkar, who had already made a half-century by then (Nottingham, 2007). Sachin was beaten with such regularity that one lost count how many times. There was a moment charged with poignancy at the end of that spell when the bowler, sporting a forlorn smile, put his arms around the shoulders of the great batsman who had managed to survive.

Sidebottom ended up with the incongruous figures of 36-11-75-1 for the innings, but the excellence of those nine overs was confirmed by Tendulkar two years later, when he described it as 'one of the best spells I have ever faced in my career'.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ftr that sentence was meant to be purely cricket related, funny how things work out :laugh:

Doesn't he only have the out-swinger? Plus with some seam/cut in. But I never seen him swing it in.
Agree. Seems to be doing just fine without it, FWIW.