• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne.. pls come back

Bun

Banned
Nah, I am least bothered by the decline in Aussie spin talent. But watching this guy in the latest IPL, all fit and intent and all that, has been a treat. The dip, loop, and the sheer charm has thrown me back to the halcyon days of his prime. Seriously I believe he still has 2-3 yrs left in him if he puts his mind to it like Tendulkar (there you go the obligatory reference :laugh:).

Please come back.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, he looks wonderful. I run to switch on the TV as soon as he brings himself on, and turn it off when his spell is finished. :laugh:

Daemon

Australia would've been better off playing him instead of Beer in the Ashes :p

Howe_zat

Audio File
He's by far the most entertaining thing about the IPL. In other Warnie news:

Shane Warne on Twitter said:
Questions re facelift / Botox etc - are absolute rubbish - I am 86 kg - lost 7kg and are close to being the fittest I have ever been...

Mike5181

International Captain
He looks like he enjoys playing still. If i was 40 odd+fit and i was still the best spin bowler in the country by some distance i would be squeezing every last joy out of it. You have like 35-40 years of eating cereal and watching grass grow after that. Thinking about it i can't believe Tendulkar is 4 years younger than Warne.

Last edited:

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
really would have been wonderful if he stayed, but moreover he needed right moment to leave, or as they say , leave on a high and thats what he did after winning the ashes 5-0

also how many get too retire at same time along with players u have played for more than a decade

Spark

Global Moderator
His body was seriously starting to creak by that stage though. Probably wouldn't have gone much longer before his body just gave up tbh.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I don’t know why Shane Warne would want to change his current position.

He has achieved nearly everything at international level, and left the game at an all-time high. He is currently committed to two months of low intensity cricket per year. He currently plays in a format that places limited stress on the mind and body. He can also walk away from the IPL at any stage without affecting his legacy.

I would hate for Shane Warne to return to international level and be horrible. Not the way I want to remember him. Stuart MacGill returned to the international fold post injury and was well past his-best, and sadly everyone seems to remember the end of his career rather than the start and middle period.

Top_Cat

I don’t know why Shane Warne would want to change his current position.

He has achieved nearly everything at international level, and left the game at an all-time high. He is currently committed to two months of low intensity cricket per year. He currently plays in a format that places limited stress on the mind and body. He can also walk away from the IPL at any stage without affecting his legacy.

I would hate for Shane Warne to return to international level and be horrible. Not the way I want to remember him. Stuart MacGill returned to the international fold post injury and was well past his-best, and sadly everyone seems to remember the end of his career rather than the start and middle period.
Not to mention, it'd just be more fun without CA watching his every move, etc.

So many reasons why a comeback would be ill-advised but he just wouldn't be match-fit to bowl to Test batters right now. He's geared his bowling to T20 and bowling 30 overs per innings again would be a massive ask without some serious work put in and a complete change to the way he's bowled for the past 4 years.

tooextracool

International Coach
I think Shane Warne could very easily have played on for several more years and still been at the top of his game. However, the Ashes whitewash in 2006/07 was surely the only thing left for him to achieve as a cricketer, and I can understand his reasons for retiring when he did. Talk of him coming back now though is nonsense.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think Shane Warne could very easily have played on for several more years and still been at the top of his game. However, the Ashes whitewash in 2006/07 was surely the only thing left for him to achieve as a cricketer, and I can understand his reasons for retiring when he did.
This

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yesterday even Shahrukh Khan hit him pretty well after the match .:laugh:

SRK ,Gavaskar ,Warne and Pathan were all having a little practice at the end.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Id love to see him back at Test level but I think once you reach a certain age then becomes less fun. The dressing room has changed so much from his glory days. With age, the passion and drive generally wane and it just isnt as much fun to look around and you are the old guy and none of your mates are there. Add into that, every bad game means people are questioning your ability and if you are finished. I am not talking from personal experience but from what others have told me.

Unless he was captain, I couldnt see him enjoying the environment.