• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Bangladesh Thread

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
My opinion is that I am the best cricketer on the planet.

My opinion is that you are all colourblind, I am not, and the sky is pink.

My opinion is that Hayden isn't very good.

Catch the drift?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Right, 30 who could even be argued with any solidity to be better than the man who has 3509 runs at 70.18 with 15 centuries and 9 fifties in the period 2001-03?

Here's the PwC Top 100 - Starred are those who I think may come close...
That's 27 stars. And I was pushing myself at the end to get close. Are you suggesting that those 27, plus, say, Sangakkara, Fleming and McMillan are all Hayden's superiors?
Exclude Trescothick and Richardson, and yes, I consider all those 3 better, plus Gayle and McKenzie.
It's just my opinion and no, not many people will agree with me, but I simply think that all Hayden's runs from 2001\02 (not 2000\01 - he did well in India which I do not begrudge - he is a superb player of spin, then failed in England) were made on pitches that offered no seam-movement. Plenty needed luck, especially in the 2002\03 season (see Ashes 2002\03 - one chanceless 50). This suggests to me that Hayden is nothing but a flat-track bully.
Neil McKenzie, on the other hand, the lowest PWC-ranked player of my 30, very recently made 130 in 2 innings on one of the worst pitches you'll ever see against pretty good bowling (relative to the conditions). If Hayden could have scored 60 in that Trent Bridge Test I'll be flabbergasted. However there is no way to prove or disprove that so I will simply have to accept my minority.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Have you ever considered comedy as a career?
No - don't really like the stuff. My Family and My Hero are about as far as my recent likes go.
Anyway, the whole essence of comedy is that the audience is laughing with the comedian\comedienne or scriptwriter. I highly doubt my wholly sincere opinions on the game of cricket would draw too many laughs apart from in the derisory manner.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
IMO an opinion can't be wrong because it is what that person believes. An opinion can be changed, but as long as that person has that opinion, it can't actually be wrong. Misguided? Perhaps... (but that's just my opinion ;))
Don't think I could have summed it up better myself.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No - don't really like the stuff. My Family and My Hero are about as far as my recent likes go.
Anyway, the whole essence of comedy is that the audience is laughing with the comedian\comedienne or scriptwriter. I highly doubt my wholly sincere opinions on the game of cricket would draw too many laughs apart from in the derisory manner.
Ironically that response was in a serious and matter-of-fact tone. Well said except that in physical comedy, the audience is supposed to laugh at the comedian/comedienne. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
My opinion is that I am the best cricketer on the planet.

My opinion is that you are all colourblind, I am not, and the sky is pink.

My opinion is that Hayden isn't very good.

Catch the drift?
Yes, I don't hide from the fact that I'm in a fairly small minority.
But for me the majority simply place more value on the scorebook than a proper analysis of runs earned compared to conditions relative to bowling. I place more value on the latter.
You are entitled to your opinion, I am to mine.
Please stop going-on about this.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
But for me the majority simply place more value on the scorebook than a proper analysis of runs earned compared to conditions relative to bowling. I place more value on the latter.
Yet you don't like PWC?

And when you make comments about Hayden like that, you cannot expect them to be overlooked.