• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Waugh vs Damien Martyn

Who was the better player?

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marto by a hair. WAG. :wub: Will agree that the difference in averages is not an indicator of how close it is, Waugh must have faced some seriously good WI attacks early in his career.
The 1991 tour was brutal, for one.

I'd go Waugh, but not by a huge margin.

L Trumper

State Regular
As pure batsman Waugh might just edges out Martyn. On a whole Waugh was better fielder, and an all-rounder too.

Aesthetically, Waugh was probably the best right handed bat ever.

A-cashmoney

Cricket Spectator
mighty close. Though Martyn average is more, Waugh played more matches and some of them were against very good bowling attacks. Mark Waugh was more elegant and a better fielder too. so will go for Mark Waugh

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
As pure batsman Waugh might just edges out Martyn. On a whole Waugh was better fielder, and an all-rounder too.

Check out the old tapes of GS Chappell. Do you really think he was less elegant than Waugh? He was taller and slimmer too which added to the aesthetics. And Waugh looked terribly inelegant if it was someone remotely decent like Ambrose bowling short at him. Waugh played against some of the worst English attacks of the past three decades or so and he missed Hadlee and the real might of the Windies. Even many of his best innings against the Proteas were when they had a Donald or Pollock missing. One ton at the SCG was made mainly against Symcox as for some inexplicable reason, Cronje kept his quicks out of the attack for the bulk of the innings. Then when AD returned he bowled a famous spell to both Waugh brothers with Mark going out dead on 100.

archie mac

International Coach
Check out the old tapes of GS Chappell. Do you really think he was less elegant than Waugh? He was taller and slimmer too which added to the aesthetics. And Waugh looked terribly inelegant if it was someone remotely decent like Ambrose bowling short at him. Waugh played against some of the worst English attacks of the past three decades or so and he missed Hadlee and the real might of the Windies. Even many of his best innings against the Proteas were when they had a Donald or Pollock missing. One ton at the SCG was made mainly against Symcox as for some inexplicable reason, Cronje kept his quicks out of the attack for the bulk of the innings. Then when AD returned he bowled a famous spell to both Waugh brothers with Mark going out dead on 100.
I thought MW more elegant than GSC although loved to watch both bat. Mark played against some good attacks and played them very easily and then for some reason would play a loose shot. No question GSC was the better batsman:)

Borges

International Regular
I haven't seen the likes of Peter May. But Zaheer Abbas? Barry Richards? Gundappa Viswanath? To name just three among those I have been privileged to watch.

Himannv

International Coach
Easily Mark Waugh for me. Was fantastic to watch him bat and was a big part of the Australian team in the 90's. Also very underrated in the field I reckon and a reasonable backup spinner.

smash84

The Tiger King
Surely you exaggerate.That's a great innings but there have been a lot of equally good and better ones.
No :p

But seriously there have been few players more stylish than Martyn (incidentally Mark Waugh is one of them) and of course when he hits the ball so cleanly and so often in one of his innings he would definitely make others look unwieldy club brandishing goons.

Personally believe it was Pollock but there are a fair few who will testify that Barry Richards was the best they have ever seen.
Doesn't Pollock have the highest average after the Don or something?

vcs

Personally I find Martyn prettier to watch than Mark Waugh (who's no ugly duckling himself). But Martyn's shotmaking is just gorgeous. One criticism you could make of Waugh's batting from the aesthetic sense was that he didn't seem to hit down the ground that much.

Top_Cat

haha, in fairness he was more likely to play it in the arc between mid-wicket and mid-on rather than nail it down the ground all the time (though he did from time-to-time).