View Poll Results: Strongest First-Class Competition

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • County Championship

    13 31.71%
  • Sheffield Shield

    17 41.46%
  • SuperSport Series

    3 7.32%
  • West Indies Regional Four Day Competition

    0 0%
  • Ranji Trophy

    2 4.88%
  • Plunket Shield

    2 4.88%
  • Sri Lanka Premier League

    0 0%
  • Quaid-e-Azam Trophy

    1 2.44%
  • Logan Cup

    0 0%
  • National Cricket League of Bangladesh

    0 0%
  • Darwin and District Junior Cricket Association U15's

    3 7.32%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 71

Thread: Strongest First-Class Competition

  1. #31
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,614
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Shield is probably still #1. Too many gun Saffies don't play in their domestic comp, and the Pommy one is propped up by overseas players.
    Only really Dale Benkenstein and Martin Van Jaarsveld and they wouldn't make a difference now in our domestic comp because they are a bit over-the-hill.

    SuperSportSeries has a good mix of senior pro's and youngsters with experience. SSS is a very strong competition.

  2. #32
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,195
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Only really Dale Benkenstein and Martin Van Jaarsveld and they wouldn't make a difference now in our domestic comp because they are a bit over-the-hill.

    SuperSportSeries has a good mix of senior pro's and youngsters with experience. SSS is a very strong competition.
    I'd think Trott and Pietersen would probably strengthen it too, in all fairness.

    Both made their FC bows in SA after all.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

  3. #33
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,614
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I'd think Trott and Pietersen would probably strengthen it too, in all fairness.

    Both made their FC bows in SA after all.
    and both struggled a little bit.

    KP was a wierd one because we all know he was an offie who just liked to smack it around down the order.

    Trott always had talent as a school-boy (went to my school) and played SA U19's. He just struggled to get into a strong WP line-up that included G. Kirsten, HD Ackerman, Ashwell Prince, John Commins, Andrew Puttick & Brian McMillan. Gibbs and Kallis were often on international duty but played at times as well.

  4. #34
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,195
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    and both struggled a little bit.

    KP was a wierd one because we all know he was an offie who just liked to smack it around down the order.

    Trott always had talent as a school-boy (went to my school) and played SA U19's. He just struggled to get into a strong WP line-up that included G. Kirsten, HD Ackerman, Ashwell Prince, John Commins, Andrew Puttick & Brian McMillan. Gibbs and Kallis were often on international duty but played at times as well.
    Fair point. Both unquestionably moved up a couple or even more levels after they threw their lots in with England, but equally both might've developed had they not utilised their UK passports.

    Guess we'll never know.


  5. #35
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,614
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Fair point. Both unquestionably moved up a couple or even more levels after they threw their lots in with England, but equally both might've developed had they not utilised their UK passports.

    Guess we'll never know.
    Yeah exactly, thats why I don't blame them for what they did. They have arguably developed greatly as players becasue they got their prolonged opportunity. If they waited for an opportunity in SA...they had to make sure they grabbed it because they were no certainites to retain their spots even if they did well.

    I will be honest, I actually want them to do well for England apart from when they play South Africa.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 17-04-2011 at 05:24 AM.

  6. #36
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,614
    I posted this on the SA domestic thread...eventhough the Kolpak rulings have got tighter...there are still so many SA born players playing in England.

    Friedel De Wet & Neil McKenzie (Both Hamps), Zander De Bruyn (Surrey), Claude Henderson (Leicester) are Kolpak.

    Other SA players playing who don't play in SA domestic comps anymore or who never have...Benkenstein & Michel Richardson (Both Durham), Johan Myburgh & Nic Pothas (Hampshire), Charl Willoughby & Alfonso Thomas (Both Somerset), Kirk Wernars (Sussex), Ant Botha & Neil Carter (Warks), Gerard Brophy (Yorkshire), Tim Groenewald, Wayne Madsen & Greg Smith (Derby), Ryan ten Doeschate (Essex), Martin Van Jaarsveld (Kent), Jacques Du Toit (Leicester), Gareth Berg & Dawid Malan (Middlesex), and Andrew Hall (Northants).

    Obviously there are others under the England radar and are officialy English now like the obvious 2 in Trott and KP...others like Michael Lumb, Craig Kieswetter, Jade Dernbach and Stuart Meaker.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 17-04-2011 at 05:38 AM.

  7. #37
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    LOL, ECB and CSA might as well team up and field a joint side.

  8. #38
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    SuperSportSeries has a good mix of senior pro's and youngsters with experience. SSS is a very strong competition.
    Very strong. From what I know of domestic national FC competitions, the strongest in the world. If SA could find somehow unearth a few quality spinners, it would be insanely strong.

  9. #39
    International Captain Jacknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    West Yorkshire.
    Posts
    6,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Because it includes the 2nd division.
    That's like saying the English Premier League isn't the best football league in the world because it has the Championship underneath and division 1 under that, that makes no difference to the quality of the top division.
    Last edited by Jacknife; 17-04-2011 at 10:23 AM.

  10. #40
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,015
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Unfortunately, what it might do is just marginalize Ranji trophy as people don't feel like adjusting to the longer format or adapt their games for it. This is doubly true as it seems that the selectors seem to be prioritizing IPL over Ranji trophy as the competition to feed the national side.
    What examples are there?

    If you name players that did well in the IPL, like Jadeja or Ashwin, and then got put into the international side, that was on the basis of their domestic records (first class and list A). And both of them haven't been in the test side anyway, only the ODI.

    There is not one player you can say who was put into the test team on the basis of IPL. Raina was chosen because of his ODI performances (which isn't a good thing, but is not the IPL's fault).

    It's a myth that the IPL is being used as the criteria for selecting players.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  11. #41
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,178
    I don't agree with this **** too often but I do agree this time.

  12. #42
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,597
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Other SA players playing who don't play in SA domestic comps anymore or who never have... Dawid Malan (Middlesex)
    Born in Roehampton tbh.

  13. #43
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,614
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    What examples are there?

    If you name players that did well in the IPL, like Jadeja or Ashwin, and then got put into the international side, that was on the basis of their domestic records (first class and list A). And both of them haven't been in the test side anyway, only the ODI.

    There is not one player you can say who was put into the test team on the basis of IPL. Raina was chosen because of his ODI performances (which isn't a good thing, but is not the IPL's fault).

    It's a myth that the IPL is being used as the criteria for selecting players.
    I know it was only ODIs and not Tests, but I don't think Manpreet Gony had any domestic record to speak of when he was picked for India.
    ~ Cribbage ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  14. #44
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife View Post
    That's like saying the English Premier League isn't the best football league in the world because it has the Championship underneath and division 1 under that, that makes no difference to the quality of the top division.
    Yeah but the County Championship includes both divisions. If you were to say the English first division is the strongest first class competition, then you might be right.
    Direbirds FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

  15. #45
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,675
    A question: Indian seamers, and bowling in general, seems to get big knocks against it for not being of a high standard. The domestic setup isn't lauded for being particularly good either. So how do they produce fine batsmen so regularly? You'd think they'd be shocked by the jump in standard at Test level.
    ★★★★★

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2068
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 10:54 PM
  2. First Class Round 12 Results & Match Reports
    By Simon in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
  3. First Class Round 10 Results & Match Reports
    By Simon in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 14-07-2009, 01:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •