• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia is still number one - haters can rightfully ask why.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India's record:

v West Indies (a) W 2-1 (4)
Compaq Cup (vs NZ and SL in SL) - Winners (P3 W2 L1)
Champions Trophy - eliminated in group stage
v Australia (h) L 2-4 (7)
v Sri Lanka (h) W 3-1 (5)
Tri Series vs Sri Lanka & Bangladesh in Bangladesh - Runners Up (P5 W3 L2)
v South Africa (h) W 2-1 (3)
Zimbabwe Tri Series (vs Zim & SL) - 3rd (P4 W1 L3, including 2 defeats to Zimbabwe)
Asia Cup - Winners
Sri Lanka Tri Series (vs SL & NZ) - Runners Up (P5 W2 L3)
v Australia (h) W 1-0 (3)
v New Zealand (h) W 5-0 (5)
v South Africa (a) L 3-2 (5)

Would say looking at that, Australia have been way better over the last 2 years.
I think if we were to include series from a bit further back (not sure the rankings take results from that long back into account), it would look a bit better for India.

CB series (early 2008) - Winners
Some no-name tri-series against Pakistan and Bangladesh - Runners Up
Asia Cup - Runners Up
Bilateral series in SL - Won 3-2
Bilateral series at home to England - Won 5-0
Bilateral series in SL - Won 4-1
Bilateral series in NZ - Won 3-1

Australia lost home and away to SA in that time, and the CB series at home so that evens it up a bit.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know, which is why I mentioned it in the brackets. :) I guess with the ****ed up schedules, it's pretty much impossible to design a ranking system that pleases everyone.. for example, India haven't played Pakistan in a bilateral series in a long time (political reasons), have over-played recently against a pretty strong SL side, mostly in SL.. Australia haven't toured SL in a looong time, and so on. The teams are fairly close together at the top with no real outstanding No. 1, is all that can be concluded.