• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Watson: what's holding him back?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It struck me today just how much of a front-foot player Watto is (certainly took long enough :ph34r:). He almost never goes onto the backfoot at all. I wonder whether it will have any long-term implications on how well he ages as a batsman.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
What's holding Shane Watson back?

Hmm..Nothing really. Tbh, the guy has surpassed expectations. When he first came into the side as an overweight 22-year-old flat-batting deliveries outside the off-stump, no one thought he'd become such a compact opener.

Obviously, the guy isn't immensely talented with the bat (in terms of hand-eye coordination and natural length-picking skill), but he had carved out a pretty effective, if slightly mechanical, technique. His balance is good and it's been a pleasant surprise to see him concentrating hard and constructing decent innings.

The only constructive criticism I'd offer is that he gets too subdued sometimes and forgets to rotate strike, thereby putting pressure on himself. The momentum and fluidity that you'd expect to see from a set top-order batsman is not quite there. If he addresses this, it could help him convert more of those 60s and 70s into real big scores.

As a bloke grafted to open the innings, he has adapted wonderfully. His medium-pace bowling is a good bonus as well and as an ODI player, he's especially good. If I knew Shane personally, I'd be immensely proud of him. He's a guy who has earned respect from people who were initially sceptical of his ability and, to me, that shows great fortitude and character on the man's part. Cheers, Watto. Way to go!
:cool:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Once again, is there another Shane Watson currently playing international cricket who you're referring to? Can't be the same one...

pup11

International Coach

Hmm..Nothing really. Tbh, the guy has surpassed expectations. When he first came into the side as an overweight 22-year-old flat-batting deliveries outside the off-stump, no one thought he'd become such a compact opener.

Obviously, the guy isn't immensely talented with the bat (in terms of hand-eye coordination and natural length-picking skill), but he had carved out a pretty effective, if slightly mechanical, technique. His balance is good and it's been a pleasant surprise to see him concentrating hard and constructing decent innings.

The only constructive criticism I'd offer is that he gets too subdued sometimes and forgets to rotate strike, thereby putting pressure on himself. The momentum and fluidity that you'd expect to see from a set top-order batsman is not quite there. If he addresses this, it could help him convert more of those 60s and 70s into real big scores.

As a bloke grafted to open the innings, he has adapted wonderfully. His medium-pace bowling is a good bonus as well and as an ODI player, he's especially good. If I knew Shane personally, I'd be immensely proud of him. He's a guy who has earned respect from people who were initially sceptical of his ability and, to me, that shows great fortitude and character on the man's part. Cheers, Watto. Way to go!
Jeez... mate are you high or something!!!

Xuhaib

International Coach
It struck me today just how much of a front-foot player Watto is (certainly took long enough :ph34r:). He almost never goes onto the backfoot at all. I wonder whether it will have any long-term implications on how well he ages as a batsman.
tbf he's a severe puller.Like most aussie batsman he is very well aware of his strengths and sticks to them.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Jeez... mate are you high or something!!!
I am usually high when commenting on cricket! :cool:

You may disagree, but I think Watson is a very improved batsman.I can appreciate that. Sure, the guy has a few technical glitches, but let's be honest, how many batsmen in 2011 can be described as technically outstanding? (precise foot movement, straight back-lift, high left elbow while driving and all)

As I mentioned in my post, the fluidity and planning is lacking in his innings' construction. He is pretty much a boundary or a dot-ball player. Once he learns how to rotate strike and pace an innings properly, he should be a greater force in Test cricket. In ODIs, I rate him very highly already.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf he's a severe puller.Like most aussie batsman he is very well aware of his strengths and sticks to them.
He even pulls off the front foot. May work against Zaheer Khan pace but doubtful against anything quicker than that IMO. Would be interesting to see Steyn bowl short at him.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
He even pulls off the front foot. May work against Zaheer Khan pace but doubtful against anything quicker than that IMO. Would be interesting to see Steyn bowl short at him.
Are all Queensland players cut with the same cloth or what? :laugh:

Spark

Global Moderator
Cuts off the front foot too. A worry IMO because a little extra bounce and he gets caught at gully/backward point from time to time.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain

I'd agree with most of this. He is a ODI player at his best who has adapted to test cricket pretty well. He's not really a test opener but where else do you put him? He's hardly a great player of spin so having down the order especially against a team with good quality spin bowlers is hardly going to see him even getting regular 50's.

It's a real shame that Shaun Marsh has a dodgy temperament as well as a fragile body as he can play spin and quick bowling with pretty much equal facility and he plays off front and back foot, terrible waste of talent that bloke.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Watson has always has much more natural aptitude for the longer form of the game; that he's been able to adapt his technique to one day cricket and finally make use of his power as his career has progressed is a great testament to the Australian cricket system and his own work ethic. The mental side of his game is obviously a lot more suited to one day cricket though which is why his one day performances have surpassed his First Class outputs since he fully adapted. You can say he isn't a Test opener all you like but he has a much, much more orthodox technique and plays a lot straighter than the vast majority of Test openers in world cricket currently so I'm not sure why he's singled out for it. I've always thought he was a 3 or 4 and I still do but averaging 50 as a Test opener is nothing to sneeze at, whether or not he chokes in the 90s.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cuts off the front foot too. A worry IMO because a little extra bounce and he gets caught at gully/backward point from time to time.
His back foot moves so nicely when he plays the late cut though. It's weird.