• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Watson: what's holding him back?

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
I believe it's mostly a mental issue.

There are one or two minor gripes which people like to raise about this technique, but all considered I think the technical side of his batting is very strong and more than sufficient for him to dominate as a test batsman.

He's always been pretty one-paced and done most of his scoring in boundaries, he's certainly worked on improving that aspect of his game since he first emerged but he's still no Michael Bevan.

In my eyes a lot of these dismissals when he's settled can be put down to over-confidence. The one which stands out in my mind is the first innings in Adelaide last summer. We'd had a terrible start but then he played beautifully and stablilised the innings and we really needed him to push on, but instead he chased a wide half volley he had no business in playing and canned it straight to gully.

It's almost as if once he gets to a point in his innings where he feels settled his ego and will to dominate take over and suck him into doing things he wouldn't have done earlier on in the knock. It's been an issue in tests and ODIs for over a year now and needs to be corrected, he's too good a player to be getting out in that sort of fashion and we're so reliant on him nowdays we just can't afford it.
All that you are saying just tells me what I already know. He is a One Day opener who should be batting further down the order in tests. He's not a test opener. It's like Mitchell Johnson being our main strike bowler.

It's lack of any alternatives that keeps them where they are.

Spark

Global Moderator
Watson should not bat lower than 3 until he seriously improves his general play against spin IMO. Literally struggled to get it off the square and could only score around square leg in that knock vs. India.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The main thing holding him back is him getting bowled by Balaji.

Wtf Watto, what.. the.. ****!?

bagapath

International Captain
watson establishing himself at the top of the order in ODIs makes australia's all-time XI whackier than before.

watson
gilchrist (wk)
ponting
dean jones
symonds
hussey
bevan
lee
warne
mcgrath
lillee

smash84

The Tiger King
As a fan of an opposition side when Watson is batting you always feel you have a chance of getting him whether he has 2 or 82 on the board. You couldn't say the same about many Aussies of the last 20 years, with Watto you are just waiting for the brainfart that inevitably comes along. In the last ashes i was happy watching him get his nice 60's etc as i knew he wouldn't go on and the others were so out of nick you knew England would be on top soon after Watto gave it away.

He needs to toughen up his mental strength, perhaps a few chats with Steve Waugh wouldn't go amiss.
Well said.......

watson establishing himself at the top of the order in ODIs makes australia's all-time XI whackier than before.

watson
gilchrist (wk)
ponting
dean jones
symonds
hussey
bevan
lee
warne
mcgrath
lillee
For some reason I would like to go with an opening partnership of Hayden and Gilly or M Waugh and Gilly than see twatto in an AT Aussie XI

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bloke adds so much more with his bowling, though. If he continues going the way he has been recently for another year or two, it'll be pretty hard to keep him out.

TumTum

Banned
I don't see how it's a problem, he's very good at it.

The thing is he has nothing else against the spinners and ends up blocking a lot of deliveries.

bagapath

International Captain
Bloke adds so much more with his bowling, though. If he continues going the way he has been recently for another year or two, it'll be pretty hard to keep him out.
if you play watson at the top, your middle order runs down to no.7. a line up that has ponting, jones, symonds, hussey and bevan is good enough to chase any, I mean ANY, total. if, as smalishah says, you replace watto with m.waugh or hayden, then you will be forced to bring in s.waugh in place of bevan or jones or hussey to fill in the fifth bowler's role along with symonds. it will weaken both the batting and the bowling, IMO. watson, I believe, has booked himself a place in the aussie AT ODI XI already.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Gilchrist
M Waugh
Ponting
Symonds
Hussey
Bevan
Warne
Lee
McGrath
Lillee

This team is good enough to match yours bagapath......and the 5th bowler problem is resolved

TumTum

Banned
if you play watson at the top, your middle order runs down to no.7. a line up that has ponting, jones, symonds, hussey and bevan is good enough to chase any, I mean ANY, total. if, as smalishah says, you replace watto with m.waugh or hayden, then you will be forced to bring in s.waugh in place of bevan or jones or hussey to fill in the fifth bowler's role along with symonds. it will weaken both the batting and the bowling, IMO. watson, I believe, has booked himself a place in the aussie AT ODI XI already.
It's very difficult to choose. I agree with everything you said but Watson is definitely not the best available opener.

I would not want a team with S.Waugh in it but then I would rather have Hayden/M.Waugh instead of Watson.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
S.Waugh[c]
Hussey
Bevan
Symonds
Warne
Lee
Lillee
Mcgrath

12th man - Damien martyn

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve Waugh should not make an Australian all-time ODI XI. Not when they have such an embarrassment of riches and 4 freaking World Cup titles to their name. I could understand it if it was some other country, but not Australia. :p

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not-so-coincidentally, Waugh played in two of those wins.

Would have him in ahead of Hussey, myself.