Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand A General Discussion

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar

New Zealand A General Discussion

Thought a new thread would be useful rather than having tour threads dotted around and NZ A chat getting mixed in with the tours and domestic cricket discussion. Posted it now so I don't forget.

I spose I should try get some talk going. Who do you want to see and who do you think we will see?

Todd Astle. Todd Astle. Todd Astle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Thought a new thread would be useful rather than having tour threads dotted around and NZ A chat getting mixed in with the tours and domestic cricket discussion. Posted it now so I don't forget.

I spose I should try get some talk going. Who do you want to see and who do you think we will see?

Todd Astle. Todd Astle. Todd Astle.
    I posted this somewhere else but i guess it works here

1. Rob Nicol/BJ Watling/SJ Murdoch
    3. Daniel Flynn
    4. Dean Brownlie
    5. Neil Broom
    6. Anaru Kitchen/Tim Weston
    7. Derek De Border+
    8. Todd Astle
    9. Neil Wagner
    10. Ben Wheeler
    11. Trent Boult

12th Man: MJ Henry

Beat that team Flem
    A team with some youth mainly below 28 years old and most with potential. I would also like to see Adam Milne in an A squad sometime in the next year or so if he ever recovers from injury and starts performing again. There is probably some other players worth noting as well so the floor is now open.

I actually think the same old names like Fulton, Hopkins etc will be in there.
    Last edited by Mike5181; 11-04-2011 at 05:45 AM.

Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    When is the next tour?
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    I love it.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    I posted this somewhere else but i guess it works here

1. Rob Nicol/BJ Watling/SJ Murdoch
    3. Daniel Flynn
    4. Dean Brownlie
    5. Neil Broom
    6. Anaru Kitchen/Tim Weston
    7. Derek De Border+
    8. Todd Astle
    9. Neil Wagner
    10. Ben Wheeler
    11. Trent Boult

12th Man: MJ Henry

Beat that team Flem
    A team with some youth mainly below 28 years old and most with potential. I would also like to see Adam Milne in an A squad sometime in the next year or so if he ever recovers from injury and starts performing again. There is probably some other players worth noting as well so the floor is now open.

I actually think the same old names like Fulton, Hopkins etc will be in there.
    Good team for your criteria. My general take on NZ A is treat it like a second eleven and when we need a new player, look to the A side first unless someone is going absolutely bonkers domestically. I like dudes to earn their call ups rather than firing out places every other game.

I also like the idea of sending along an older domestic stalwart who isn't neccessarily a test player in waiting but who will contribute quite a bit at the A level. I believe in teaching our national teams to win ASAP and sending along someone like Sinclair provides almost certain runs.

Assuming the test side still looks something like this;

McCullum
    Guptill
    Williamson
    Taylor
    Ryder
    Franklin
    Young
    Vettori
    Southee
    Arnel
    Martin

My A side would be;

Tim McIntosh

One of the very few openers to actually do something at test level, even if he is extremely inconsistent. Better than most domestically, he's a banker for the opening spot.

Peter Ingram/Daniel Flynn/Rob Nicol/Jamie How

Are all better than BJ Watling, especially if the bowler rotates the ball using this foreign magical art called "spin" (apologies to Australians who may have forgotten what this actually is).

Matthew Sinclair

Bank. Money. Well spent. Still the second best number three in the country as well.

Neil Broom

Can't ask for much more from him. Was sold short in ODIs but also looked like he had things to work on. Too good for domestic cricket but A cricket should prepare him for the next level.

Tim Weston

Yes, he's notorious for cashing in on the traditionally flatter tracks around, but he's strong off the back foot and has a tidy technique. He has good wood to work with.

Sam Wells

Tbh, I've never seen him play, and it is very frustrating. Everything I've heard about him is excellent. An ex opener with outstanding footwork and able to accelerate the scoring at will, he's apparently a good bowler and his run of wickets a couple of years ago backs this up. He's also rescued Otago from embarrasment on numerous occassions and is a really good poker player.

Kruger van Wyk

Solid, and he's not Hopkins. Derek de Boorder was close, but I'd like him to put on another big season with the bat first.

Todd Astle

Possibly our most promising spinner since that nerdy guy TH really hates. Building himself an excellent record since he converted to being a full time spinner and he deserves a go in foreign conditions. Quite possibly the closest player in the A side to receiving a test cap.

Ben Wheeler

Had quite the first full season, and has apparently turned a few heads.

Trent Boult

He's finally staying on the park and has the results to show for it. I've loved watching him bowl ever since I first saw him play. One of the few Northern Districts players who isn't an overrated hack.

Andy McKay

He was on track to catching up to Wagner and ran out of games (played like 5), nuff said.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    OK, lets not go crazy. Astle has had a good season and a half. He's promising. But we know next to nothing about how he'd go against batsmen who actually know how to play legspin. Am very cautious about making any declarations of how talented/promising he is.

Anyway, NZA:

McIntosh
    Redmond
    Flynn/Fulton
    Broom
    Brownlie
    Elliot
    Kruger
    Astle/Nethula - they both deserve an A tour
    Wagner if available, ortherwise Bracewell
    Boult
    Arnel/McSkimming
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

International Vice-Captain
    The emerging trophy in august.

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Who do you want to see and who do you think we will see?
    How about who we don't want to see. Honestly experienced or not what's the point in picking 30 somethings that have already failed horribly in Test cricket and have zero likelihood of ever actually working out at the next level?
    Last edited by Howsie; 11-04-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    How about who we don't want to see. Honestly experienced or not what's the point in picking 30 somethings that have already failed horribly in Test cricket and have zero likelihood of ever actually working out at the next level?
    I would've thought the benefits of younger talents playing with and learning from guys who've experienced and made mistakes at the top level would be obvious. Any cricket team needs its experienced older heads as well as it's young guns. If you just go for a team full of u22 talents, you wind up with Zimbabwe or Bangladesh. And just because a cricketer is 30 and failed in his first go at the top level doesn't mean his professional career is over. An A tour is a good way for selectors and coaches to get an idea on whether a player has addressed the flaws in their game that held them back in the past, and whether they deserve consideration for another go. At least in proper A-tours mind, not tours against foreign club sides and the odd development XI.

Cricket Spectator
    1. Steve Murdoch
    2. Rob Nicol / Jeet Raval / Bradley-John / Daniel Flynn
    3. Andrew de Boorder
    4. Mark Chapman
    5. Ben Stokes
    6. Dean Brownlie
    7. Derek de Boorder +
    8. Todd Astle
    9. Trent Boult
    10. WAGner (Can you pick guys who aren't eligible for NZ in the A team?)
    11. Ben Wheeler

Matt Henry
    Dougeh B
    Rod Latham
    Harry Boam

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Peter Ingram/Daniel Flynn/Rob Nicol/Jamie How

Are all better than BJ Watling, especially if the bowler rotates the ball using this foreign magical art called "spin" (apologies to Australians who may have forgotten what this actually is).
    Will admit I had to search for 'Dan Vettori' on YouTube to refresh my memory. Basically, fellow Australians, it's exactly the same as pace bowling, except with even less deviation and 50km/h slower.
    Last edited by Nate; 11-04-2011 at 06:36 PM.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Quote Originally Posted by Bringbackbondy View Post
    1. Steve Murdoch
    2. Rob Nicol / Jeet Raval / Bradley-John / Daniel Flynn
    3. Andrew de Boorder
    4. Mark Chapman
    5. Ben Stokes
    6. Dean Brownlie
    7. Derek de Boorder +
    8. Todd Astle
    9. Trent Boult
    10. WAGner (Can you pick guys who aren't eligible for NZ in the A team?)
    11. Ben Wheeler

Matt Henry
    Dougeh B
    Rod Latham
    Harry Boam
    Haha interesting middle order picks. I looked around and Ben Stokes looks like a pretty talented player. Have you got any goss on the guy in relation to his aspirations to play for us or England? Give Mark a few years i think though

Ben Stokes, the guy who played for England in the last U-19 WC?

Ummm, I'm pretty sure he moved over to the UK when he was around 10-11 (?) and is basically a pom now. So no, he won't be playing for NZ.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    Ben Stokes, the guy who played for England in the last U-19 WC?

Ummm, I'm pretty sure he moved over to the UK when he was around 10-11 (?) and is basically a pom now. So no, he won't be playing for NZ.
    It was more out of hope. But you never know his dad did play for NZ in league.

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I would've thought the benefits of younger talents playing with and learning from guys who've experienced and made mistakes at the top level would be obvious. Any cricket team needs its experienced older heads as well as it's young guns. If you just go for a team full of u22 talents, you wind up with Zimbabwe or Bangladesh. And just because a cricketer is 30 and failed in his first go at the top level doesn't mean his professional career is over. An A tour is a good way for selectors and coaches to get an idea on whether a player has addressed the flaws in their game that held them back in the past, and whether they deserve consideration for another go. At least in proper A-tours mind, not tours against foreign club sides and the odd development XI.
    No, but the likelihood of forging a decent international career is pretty unlikely - going by recent history anyway.

Look, my squad wouldn't be made up of 20 year old kids who have just burst onto the first class scene, I'm not advocating that. I just don't see the sense in picking players who if everything goes to plan should never play for New Zealand again.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information