• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand A General Discussion

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, maybe the loads and loads of runs he's made against India are influencing me a bit there. :p

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
How to bat like Daniel Flynn

-Flourish your bat. The more the better.
-Shuffle your feet, but don't go anywhere
-Leave huge gaping hole between bat and pad in defense
-Rinse and repeat until score is 49, then get out.

*is still bitter about Hay*
From the little bit of Flynn's batting I've seen this season, it looks to me like he has managed to get rid of that ugly double back-swing that he had (don't know how to describe it so hope you know what I mean).

If this is right (and I've really only seen a little of his batting this season) and he can combine that with the discipline and determination he showed when playing for NZ, then he is a good prospect.

Flem274*

123/5
Howsie in only rating the ND batsman shocker.:p

Ryder will be remembered as a greater batsman than Williamson. Willing to put my left arm on it.

Cue Ryder hitting the pub tonight.

Mike5181

International Captain
Howsie in only rating the ND batsman shocker.:p

Ryder will be remembered as a greater batsman than Williamson. Willing to put my left arm on it.

Cue Ryder hitting the pub tonight.
No way but i would venture to say that Ryder is one of the most naturally gifted players from any country. I doubt he has done half the work others have done in getting to where he is now. Williamson will end up with most test runs for New Zealand.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
No way but i would venture to say that Ryder is one of the most naturally gifted players from any country. I doubt he has done half the work others have done in getting to where he is now. Williamson will end up with most test runs for New Zealand.
You'd be wrong. Ryder spent pretty much the entirety of his high school life in the nets, which is probably why he comes across as such a moron whenever he's interviewed. From ages 19-22 he probably eased off in his training as he developed both eating and drinking problems, but his ability is founded on years of practice, moreso than probably any other New Zealand cricketer besides Kane. Certainly moreso than Ross, who was really just a big slogger who made no effort to develop himself until he got brought into the FC scene.

This fact is reflected in their respective careers, which in a strange way, were almost the inverse of each other. If it hadn't been for his transgressions, Jesse probably would've debuted for the Blackcaps as early as 2003. He was the star of the 2002 u19 World Cup and had a magnificent debut FC season in 02/03. Taylor was a bit overweight and entirely reliant on one or two shots at highschool. Nobody had really even heard of him until about 2004. and he didn't seriously enter the selection debate until 2006.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Think Ryder has a huge hunger for playing cricket if you pardon the pun. Seen him down the nets at the Basin and he just likes to be batting constantly. Despite his girth he has a pretty gun physicality.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah people forget Ryder is a completely different bloke on the field. Most chilled out, pressure resistant player in the side almost. Only Vettori and Williamson can claim to be better. Taylor often gets the job done, but he bats like the weight of the world rests on his shoulders.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Nobody had really even heard of him until about 2004. and he didn't seriously enter the selection debate until 2006.
Wasn't he (Taylor) known at younger age group levels though. I heard he averaged 120 in an under 14 years old tournament representing CD.

Great post by the way Bahnz.

Also - I think Taylor has an impressive technique. It looks rubbish at the moment because he is out of form - but when he is more certain outside his off stump he looks solid. What I like about it is that he gets his bat in front of his pad to eliminate LBWs - and then he moves his backfoot out towards slips when playing a forward defensive shot to get solidly in behind the ball.

His technique is a darn site better than McCullum's.

Howsie

International Captain
Ryder spent pretty much the entirety of his high school life in the nets.
He also spent a lot of his high school life hangover from what I've heard. One story goes that NBHS were playing a knockout game in the Gillette Cup and Ryder turned up hangover as **** and reeking of alcohol. The coach allowed him to play anyway and he smashes 130 odd off 60 balls before being sent home after getting out.

Ryder may have indeed trained the house down but his drinking problems started well before he started playing first class cricket.

Howsie

International Captain
Should I even bother? :p

Williamson breaking into the national set up four years earlier than Ryder and not looking likely to be anywehre near as injury prone already gives him a pretty big advantage.

Mike5181

International Captain
Williamson probably gave himself an extra life in ODIs as well. Most people were ok with him not being in the team just prior to the world cup but now he really should be in there. I would be interested to see everyone's opinion on where he should bat in both forms of the game. In tests i would lock him in at number three for the next decade but in ODIs we have more options.

Last edited: