• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali has to sit an exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If that's the rule, there shouldn't be an exception made for him. I can't comment on the fairness of the rule itself (haven't heard much about it over here), but everyone should be subject to the same rules.

slowfinger

International Debutant
If that's the rule, there shouldn't be an exception made for him. I can't comment on the fairness of the rule itself (haven't heard much about it over here), but everyone should be subject to the same rules.
This.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Strange one.

So are footballers expected to do this too?

For example Messi can't play for A English club, if they bought him for 100 million pounds because he can't speak english and not certainly pass a test on it.

I am sure they would create a exception there.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Strangely enough in English it wouldn't be "An European" it would be "A European". Europe doesn't start with a vowel sound even though it begins with a vowel.

English is ****ed. Muralis ****ed.

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Obviously my joke went over everyone's head, so I wont return to it.

The rules are the same for anyone seeking to work in the UK, be it as a builder, scientist, cricketer, or footballer. Obviously, any Premier League side signing a footballer for 50 million is going to make sure they spend some money on a crash course in English lessons. But Gloucestershire cant afford to do this for Murali.

In fact, they cant really afford him in the first place. Maybe its a cunning ploy by the board to be able to say to their fans, "Look , we tried to get an expensive overseas player, but new immigration rules kept him out."

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Tbh, don't think it is a big deal or something but i think a exception should be made for someone like Murali.

Surely that if the ECB and the county apply to the home office ,for a exception it will be granted.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously my joke went over everyone's head, so I wont return to it.

The rules are the same for anyone seeking to work in the UK, be it as a builder, scientist, cricketer, or footballer. Obviously, any Premier League side signing a footballer for 50 million is going to make sure they spend some money on a crash course in English lessons. But Gloucestershire cant afford to do this for Murali.

In fact, they cant really afford him in the first place. Maybe its a cunning ploy by the board to be able to say to their fans, "Look , we tried to get an expensive overseas player, but new immigration rules kept him out."
Murali pretty certainly can speak and communicate in English better than any crash course could teach him.
And the crash course does not cost much by the way/:unsure: Pretty sure both The county and Murali could afford it.:laugh:

And if this test is proving tough for someone like Murali who can fully communicate in english ,even with a crash course for a spanish speaker like Messi won't be able to crack it.
Don't think A crash course can help so much ,all of a sudden.

Pretty sure a exception would be made under those circumstances .Maybe a exception is there already in the Fa's work permit terms with the home office.

Spikey

it's really a case of him being afraid of computers rather than fear of failing isn't it? i mean murali's english is fine from what i've heard. but obviously being afraid of computers and having to do the test on a computer....

_Ed_

For example Messi can't play for A English club, if they bought him for 100 million pounds because he can't speak english and not certainly pass a test on it.

I am sure they would create a exception there.
Messi has Spanish citizenship, so isn't subject to the same rules as those without EU passports.

Howe_zat

Audio File
it's really a case of him being afraid of computers rather than fear of failing isn't it? i mean murali's english is fine from what i've heard. but obviously being afraid of computers and having to do the test on a computer....
I would say so. I seriously doubt the language restrictions are all that intense, just that Murali was asked if he was nervous about being tested using a computer and he reasonably responded that he is.

It's also plausible that he is fine with spoken English but isn't great at writing it.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Messi has Spanish citizenship, so isn't subject to the same rules as those without EU passports.

True.

But you get the point though?

How about Kaka?

How did Liverpool manage to sign Suarez in January?

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
so once again, the rules have been changed solely to accommodate Murali.

So why do we actually have rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.