• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricket a dying sport in non south asian countries?

Gooch20

Banned
I personally think cricket is dying outside of south asia, even in countries like Australia or England. I blame this on India, because India today is leader of Cricket, they have the money and power and they to much influence on world cricket. In countries like West Indies, hardly any new youngesters are taking cricket in schools/colleges, i dont see any good future of west indies in cricket

I think cricket needs to become less south asian and become global some how., even ICC is basically all run by indians or other south asians, basically what i have noticed is that everybody (non south asian) is losing interest in cricket, this is a major worry

Gooch20

Banned
btw, i am from pakistan, so south asians dont take offense, but i am speaking the truth. we need to get involved in other sports like Football, atleast pakistan is a world champion in hockey and squash. I would love to see pakistan in a football worldcup. I think we should focus less on cricket and more on football, south asians go way overboard with the love of cricket, often its embarrasing infront of other people

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I had to re-read the above, three times. It made less sense with each reading.

I think the OP is proposing that less interest in Asian countries will result in greater interest in all other nations? Lacks a certain logic.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How the hell is India responsible for the **** organisation of cricket in the West Indies?

Spark

Global Moderator
Let alone the base assumption that cricket is dying in Australia and England...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I was in Vegas for the past couple weeks, and (I play tournaments) virtually every table had at least one guy from the UK. And while virtually all of them were into football, I asked every one and only one (out of around ~20) people I asked knew about the cricket. And he was only semi-into cricket (only knew a couple players in the England squad).

I am sure that's not a representative sample but any UK based posters want to comment on that? I was surprised a little bit.

Mike5181

International Captain
I was in Vegas for the past couple weeks, and (I play tournaments) virtually every table had at least one guy from the UK. And while virtually all of them were into football, I asked every one and only one (out of around ~20) people I asked knew about the cricket. And he was only semi-into cricket (only knew a couple players in the England squad).

I am sure that's not a representative sample but any UK based posters want to comment on that? I was surprised a little bit.
That's the same case in New Zealand no doubt.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Think it depends on which part of the country you are in. In the North West (the best bit) I'd say about 60-70 per cent of adult males have at least some interest in the sport. Probably different elsewhere, dunno, but it's pretty much the 2nd or 3rd most popular sport in viewing terms, after Football and maybe Union. I think.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Interesting. I was surprised only because I know England makes the most money after India, and that their tickets are hugely expensive, so I was expecting more demand - but it's very possible that I just happened to meet people from the wrong geographic regions.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain

Think that says more about football than cricket. The former has moved away from being a sport to being a celebrity led reality TV phenomena. It's a complete fashion fad now, no-one in the public eye will deny 'supporting' a team.

Cricket is fine in England I think.Badly run, not making the most of it's abilities - but popular and probably growing.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
English cricket failed miserably to take advantage of and develop the huge enthusiasm for the game amongst "non cricketers" that took hold during 2005, and there's no doubt in my mind that most of those people lost interest in the game as quickly as they gained it - obviously 05 couldn't be replicated in 06 but even in 09 it wasn't anything like the same - the loss of free to air TV coverage is clearly the main factor but there are doubtless others

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

I don't think it's that surprising, I don't know that many people who are really into cricket, outside my family and their cricketing friends. My boyfriend when I met him didn't know anything about it and none of his friends did either. He never played it at school, despite playing football, rugby and hockey.

I must qualify this with being a southerner (although my parents and grandparents are all Yorkshire and Lancashire). When my parents lived in the NE for a while, I could see that it seemed much more popular up there and in Yorkshire.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
There's certainly a hell of a lot less social Saturday cricket being played in NZ. When I first started playing adult grades in Dunedin in 1992 (in our school's 3rd XI in 3rd form), there were six grades for senior cricket, plus two president grades. There are now three senior grades (so I hear) and one president's grade, and third grade really is at a poor level.

archie mac

International Coach
English cricket failed miserably to take advantage of and develop the huge enthusiasm for the game amongst "non cricketers" that took hold during 2005, and there's no doubt in my mind that most of those people lost interest in the game as quickly as they gained it - obviously 05 couldn't be replicated in 06 but even in 09 it wasn't anything like the same - the loss of free to air TV coverage is clearly the main factor but there are doubtless others
Good point re the tv rights, can't believe they are not on free to air.

Friends I have who are English say things like it is only for the rich in England

There is no real problem in Aust. still very popular and almost everyone born in Australia follows it to some extent:)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Many English posters on this board were angry when FTA no longer had the cricket, and then were angry when they were going to get it back, referencing the loss of money for English cricket if Sky no longer had it.

So really, what is the best result? People on CW don't seem to know...

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Many English posters on this board were angry when FTA no longer had the cricket, and then were angry when they were going to get it back, referencing the loss of money for English cricket if Sky no longer had it.

So really, what is the best result? People on CW don't seem to know...
The problem was that just the Ashes was going to be free-to-air iirc, which meant only minimal live cricket and at the same time Sky paying masses less because they had lost their most popular series.