• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumar Sangakkara Retires as Captain

Himannv

International Coach
News just flooding in. Kumar Sangakkara has just handed in his resignation as captain of Sri Lanka. Was on radio minutes back.

angad

U19 12th Man
Retired from ODIs and T20s also, wants to continue playing Tests for another two-three years.

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Can understand him retiring as skipper but as a player? Awful decision imo. Now their fragile batting lineup looks even worse without sanga.

Himannv

International Coach
Retired from ODIs and T20s also, wants to continue playing Tests for another two-three years.
Not true. He's test captain still on interim basis but not captain of ODI's and T20's. Still continuing as a player in all formats.

cnerd123

likes this
Damn. What are the odds it goes back to Jayawardene?

Will be interesting to see who gets it next. Dilshan maybe. They might risk someone younger like Tharanga.

Himannv

International Coach
Damn. What are the odds it goes back to Jayawardene?

Will be interesting to see who gets it next. Dilshan maybe. They might risk someone younger like Tharanga.
Very unlikely to be Mahela unless its a temporary fix. Tharanga is extremely unlikely as he's not even a permanent choice for T20's.

Dilshan or Mathews is most likely. Dilshan has done it before and Mathews has been touted as a captain for the future. My guess is that they'll give intermin command to Dilshan until they feel Mathews is ready.

Himannv

International Coach
CricInfo is fast. :cool:
10 minute delay after it was announced on radio here. One of my friends works in their branch over here. They must be having correspondents monitoring this sort of stuff with SLC I suppose.

pup11

International Coach
Sanga's decision is sort of a instinctive knee-jerk one AFAIC, one can't see any planning having been done for this. Dilshan, Sanga and Mahela all fall in the same age bracket so any one of them leading the side isn't really a long-term move.

Whereas Matthews or some other young talented player being made the captain is now the best thing for Sri Lankan cricket in the long run.

cnerd123

likes this
I'd be hesitant of giving it to Mathews...he's still young and an allroudner to boot. Don't want to overburden the poor guy.

Probably Dilshan for a short while.

Himannv

International Coach
Sanga's decision is sort of a instinctive knee-jerk one AFAIC, one can't see any planning having been done for this. Dilshan, Sanga and Mahela all fall in the same age bracket so any one of them leading the side isn't really a long-term move.

Whereas Matthews or some other young talented player being made the captain is now the best thing for Sri Lankan cricket in the long run.
Got this from cricinfo:

"I would like to announce that after careful consideration I have concluded that it is in the best long-term interests of the team that I step down now as national captain so that a new leader can be properly groomed for the 2015 World Cup in Australia", a statement from Sangakkara said.

"This was a decision I made prior to the 2011 World Cup. I will be 37 by the next World Cup and I cannot therefore be sure of my place in the team. It is better that Sri Lanka is led now by a player who will be at the peak of their career during that tournament."