• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumar Sangakkara Retires as Captain

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Why are they having a complete rehaul?

Thought they did pretty well in the WC. Need to build on it ,not start over again.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Selectors contract ends in April 30th. So they might have resigned due to that reason. Sanga's resignation was pathetic.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For me, SL are still the 2nd best ODI team overall in the last 15 years since their WC win. Though India have edged closer with this WC win. I don't think I've ever seen a Sri Lankan team that didn't do justice to its talent, at least in ODIs.

StumpMic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Mahela quit the captaincy early and now Sanga has done the same.

They always said the Indian captaincy had a known shelf-life. The Sri Lankan captaincy has proven to be the case as well post-Ranatunga.
This is completely untrue. Jayasuriya was captain for a very long stretch.

Thats the way you do it Ricky. Go out with a gasp of shock rather than a sigh of relief.
I agree with this. Sangakkara left when the time was right.

I think its ok to give Dilshan the captaincy. He can be in charge until someone younger gains enough experience to take over the reins.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Make Dilshan the captain and Mathews his deputy for two years. Then Make Mathews captain and Randiv his deputy. We need that bastard streak in our leaders.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Interesting to hear that Chandimal wasn't competing against Silva and Crapuu but against the big boys for a top order spot.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanga specifically noted that if he had failed at 5-6 in the WC, on such a big stage, they'd be worried that he'd be scarred for a long time.

He truly is their next great hope isn't he (SL fans would be in a better position to say so obviously)? If that's the case, it's not the worst decision ever. But sometimes you just gotta back your young guys to do the job.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The truth is that Chandimal would have done wonders than the two BJ boys in the middle order. Playing him even at #6 was acceptable.

What most SL fans think the best XI for the final was: Dilshan, MJ, Sanga, Chandimal, Sam, Mathews, Perera, Vaas, Randiv, Malinga and Fernando. Most of us thought even playing Murali against India was not necessary, but pace of Malinga, Fernando and Perera and the swing of Vaas would do the job for us. But Perera, Fernando and Randiv were never given the confidence they wanted, Vaas and Chandimal was not even selected.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Would be very very harsh to drop Tharanga though. He has been in the form of his life for a while now. I'd have him in the team over Samaraweera.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Tharanga is in form because he's playing on SC tracks. I'll be thrilled if I am proven wrong, but for me Tharanga is a dead duck when the ball moves.