Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kumar Sangakkara Retires as Captain

Quote Originally Posted by angad View Post
    CricInfo is fast.
    10 minute delay after it was announced on radio here. One of my friends works in their branch over here. They must be having correspondents monitoring this sort of stuff with SLC I suppose.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Sanga's decision is sort of a instinctive knee-jerk one AFAIC, one can't see any planning having been done for this. Dilshan, Sanga and Mahela all fall in the same age bracket so any one of them leading the side isn't really a long-term move.

Whereas Matthews or some other young talented player being made the captain is now the best thing for Sri Lankan cricket in the long run.

State Vice-Captain
    I'd be hesitant of giving it to Mathews...he's still young and an allroudner to boot. Don't want to overburden the poor guy.

Probably Dilshan for a short while.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Give it to Matthews with Dilshan as the vice captain.

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Sanga's decision is sort of a instinctive knee-jerk one AFAIC, one can't see any planning having been done for this. Dilshan, Sanga and Mahela all fall in the same age bracket so any one of them leading the side isn't really a long-term move.

Whereas Matthews or some other young talented player being made the captain is now the best thing for Sri Lankan cricket in the long run.
    Got this from cricinfo:

"I would like to announce that after careful consideration I have concluded that it is in the best long-term interests of the team that I step down now as national captain so that a new leader can be properly groomed for the 2015 World Cup in Australia", a statement from Sangakkara said.

"This was a decision I made prior to the 2011 World Cup. I will be 37 by the next World Cup and I cannot therefore be sure of my place in the team. It is better that Sri Lanka is led now by a player who will be at the peak of their career during that tournament."

The thing is, can they really be sure at this time that any of them will still be there in 2015? Doesn't seem to be the right time for a move like this.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    Got this from cricinfo:

"I would like to announce that after careful consideration I have concluded that it is in the best long-term interests of the team that I step down now as national captain so that a new leader can be properly groomed for the 2015 World Cup in Australia", a statement from Sangakkara said.

"This was a decision I made prior to the 2011 World Cup. I will be 37 by the next World Cup and I cannot therefore be sure of my place in the team. It is better that Sri Lanka is led now by a player who will be at the peak of their career during that tournament."
    Thats the way you do it Ricky. Go out with a gasp of shock rather than a sigh of relief.

Reckon they might go Samaraweera till Mathews is ready as a gut feel, with Samaraweera filling in the sort of role that Hashan Tillekaratne did a few years back.

Mahela quit the captaincy early and now Sanga has done the same.

They always said the Indian captaincy had a known shelf-life. The Sri Lankan captaincy has proven to be the case as well post-Ranatunga.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

What in God's name, I just realised Sanga is 33 years old.

Thought he was younger.

I hope he dominates in England and Australia this year.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Malinga would make the coolest captain ever

I would go with Mathews. No matter how young he is. Very very impressed with him. Will be right in shape for the next WC in 2015. Excellent temperament and a cool head. Should relish the responsibility. He is gonna only improve as a player. Giving to Samaraweera or Dishan doesn't make sense to me. Not way sure these players are gonna be present in 2015. If Sangakkara is going to continue with the test team, it would give enough time for Mathews to settle in.

Poor decision by Sanga. Should have continued as ODI captain for two seasons with Mathews / Randiv as the deputy.

Dilshan is a hot headed brat, will be very very aggressive, but his attitude will give away some times. Mathews is a thinker, but should not overburden him ATM. Randiv has that bastard streak in him, and will play it like a Aussie. Best is to keep Sanga as captain and Mathews and Randiv to be deputies till they get experiance.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Think Dilshan is also pretty old at 34 or so. Wonder if a guy older than Sanga would be given the captaincy.

Reckon it might not be the worst time to give it to Matthews. My concern about him would more be fitness related. On the positive side, he has two former captains to help him through the early stages.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information