• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumar Sangakkara Retires as Captain

Howe_zat

Audio File
The thing is, can they really be sure at this time that any of them will still be there in 2015? Doesn't seem to be the right time for a move like this.

MyLord

School Boy/Girl Captain
Got this from cricinfo:

"I would like to announce that after careful consideration I have concluded that it is in the best long-term interests of the team that I step down now as national captain so that a new leader can be properly groomed for the 2015 World Cup in Australia", a statement from Sangakkara said.

"This was a decision I made prior to the 2011 World Cup. I will be 37 by the next World Cup and I cannot therefore be sure of my place in the team. It is better that Sri Lanka is led now by a player who will be at the peak of their career during that tournament."
Thats the way you do it Ricky. Go out with a gasp of shock rather than a sigh of relief.

Andre

International Regular
Reckon they might go Samaraweera till Mathews is ready as a gut feel, with Samaraweera filling in the sort of role that Hashan Tillekaratne did a few years back.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mahela quit the captaincy early and now Sanga has done the same.

They always said the Indian captaincy had a known shelf-life. The Sri Lankan captaincy has proven to be the case as well post-Ranatunga.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What in God's name, I just realised Sanga is 33 years old.

Thought he was younger. :(

I hope he dominates in England and Australia this year.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
I would go with Mathews. No matter how young he is. Very very impressed with him. Will be right in shape for the next WC in 2015. Excellent temperament and a cool head. Should relish the responsibility. He is gonna only improve as a player. Giving to Samaraweera or Dishan doesn't make sense to me. Not way sure these players are gonna be present in 2015. If Sangakkara is going to continue with the test team, it would give enough time for Mathews to settle in.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Poor decision by Sanga. Should have continued as ODI captain for two seasons with Mathews / Randiv as the deputy.

Dilshan is a hot headed brat, will be very very aggressive, but his attitude will give away some times. Mathews is a thinker, but should not overburden him ATM. Randiv has that bastard streak in him, and will play it like a Aussie. Best is to keep Sanga as captain and Mathews and Randiv to be deputies till they get experiance.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Think Dilshan is also pretty old at 34 or so. Wonder if a guy older than Sanga would be given the captaincy.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Reckon it might not be the worst time to give it to Matthews. My concern about him would more be fitness related. On the positive side, he has two former captains to help him through the early stages.

Himannv

International Coach
Heard from a friend of mine who works at cricinfo that Sanga's personal choice for the next captain is Mathews.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Never rated Sanga as a captain.. That said, I do think theyshould appoint Dilshan for the next 1 and a half years and allow Matthews to grow as a player/vice-captain. And then switch it to Matthews so that he will be like 2.5 years in as a captain around WC time.. And I would like to keep Dilshan/Matthews as captain/VC in all forms of the game..

Hopefully, Dil/Matthews can get them out of the negative mindset that has marked Sri Lankan cricket this last decade, where, inspite of some amazing players, they have never dominated other teams as much as they should have.

salman85

International Debutant
I think Malinga would make the most badass captain the world has ever known,on sheer visual intimidation.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Til Dil is 34. Don't see the point in making him captain.
Good point. And if he's going to be made captain to give Matthews more time as an understudy then that defeats the purpose of Sanga's retirement in the first place. He is still captain in tests right?

Spark

Global Moderator
Wish ours would do the same.

Will be interested to see what happens in the leadup to August now with what looks like a complete clearing of the top decks.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Stuart Law appointed interim coach.

Interesting, not a hugely popular man in Australian cricketing circles. Has he been doing some coaching in England since retiring?