• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Britain: A Nation of Bad Losers?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The MCC/Cricket Foundation's annual amusing survey.

Britain: 'A nation of bad losers' - News Archive - News - Lord's

I can never really decide what I think of these 'studies'. I'm aware that I cannot stand losing: a highlight of the last term was kicking a football eighteen inches deep into a hedge in fury at a player being caught offside for the nth time. Yet isn't it better to be hurt by defeat than to cast it off as insignificant and grin like it doesn't matter?

Defeat, surely, is the most important aspect of competition as long as it matters enough for you to see what went wrong, learn from it, and make sure it never happens again? Arguably, it is worse to fail to take the lessons, and to see the same scenario played out again?

I would probably argue, from experience, that this country is too prone to making excuses for its defeats than to learn sufficiently from it - arguably why we've needed Zimbabwean coaches to find any cricketing success...

Howe_zat

Audio File
You're right to be sceptical Neil. No idea what they're trying to spin into moral implications.

Not only that but there's hardly a relevant stat in there.

‘Sulking’ (38%), ‘getting angry with themselves’ (28%) and ‘crying’ (20%) were the most common antics of the young sore losers.
So in other words, the majority of kids - kids - reacted perfectly camly? Including 80% who never cried at losing, when most kids under 12 will cry from a scraped knee?

In a separate survey of children aged eight to 16, three-quarters (76%) of respondents say they see similar reactions from their team mates when they lose a game

Sulking topped the list of reactions again, along with ‘getting angry with team mates’ (37%), ‘storming off’ (27%), ‘shouting’ (26%) and ‘swearing’ (21%).
So 1 in 4 children polled never saw any of their teammates react badly? When there's usually between 7 and 15 on a team that's a damn good result. And 4 in 5 teenagers have never so much as seen a teammate swear at a ref? That's so high it's almost hard to believe.

The sportsmanship lessons come too late, however, for the 60% of parents who admit to being bad losers themselves as children; with 40% sulking and 20% crying after they lost a match.
Oh, look. Kids grow up. Who'da thunk it? Incidentally, since when does "sulking" count as being a bad loser? I sulk when my team loses all the time. doesn't mean I have to be angry, abusive or uncongratulatory.

...while most children (40%)...
Beginning to question the writer's understanding of maths now.

It’s not all bad news: 96% of parents say their children were ‘gracious in victory’, while nearly three-quarters of children (72%) shake hands with the opposition or with the umpire/referee (31%) after losing a game.
z.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
There were Many in this world Cup itself. Sanga, Ponting heck even Afridi.
Didn't Ponting have an incident with a television?

Either way, there's a massive difference in how you react to defeat publicly and privately.

Dissector

International Debutant
I googled "whingeing Poms" and got 11200 results. This piece of sophisticated quantitative analysis established beyond a reasonable doubt that Britain is indeed a nation of bad losers.:ph34r:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
haha, that really is an atrocious survey but the analysis is even worse. In survey research, the results mean very little without comparison. Is there any evidence, for example, that the poor behaviour is on the rise? Are those proportions any different in other countries? And that's just the start....

The article is a waste of time.