• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mixed allegiances!

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Not a true cricketing thread but what the hell...!

wonder if people would like to describe their experiences (cricket supporting, of course) with mixed allegiances, whether it is something along the lines of "bradman to score a century, and england to win" or something related to being of mixed parentage, learning the game in one country etc.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mine have been more along the lines of which team I wanted to lose more (see Australia vs. Pakistan WC 2011). :ph34r: I adore lots of cricketers who play for other teams but almost never want them to do well against India.

Spark

Global Moderator
Lean towards the English attack when they aren't playing us. Steyn too. Would be the same for Laxman but him doing well = we lose, regardless of the situation, so not that.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah, do this a lot. I support the team England is playing against, almost as a rule, but always want Broad and Trott to do well. I usually want Mitchell Johnson to do well even though I'm usually supporting the other side against Oz.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Happened nearly every time Murali played against India. During Murali's last match, I didn't give a damn if India lost so long as Murali picked his 800th and he did!

Also Ambrose against India, though he had much less success against us.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Want us to beat Bangers but want all my favourite Bangladeshis to ton up or take 5fers against us.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When Australia play India I want Australia to win so Jono feels pain, but sometimes I feel as though I want India to win so Burgey feels pain.

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
Brett Lee against India in test matches.

'Please God, let Victor Trumper score a century today for Australia against England - out of a total of 137 all out.'
- oft quoted prayer by a young Neville Cardus on the morning of a test match.

jan

State Vice-Captain
We have no national team so I dont get mixed feelings cheering for opposing teams/players :)

Actually there is not a team I wouldnt cheer for as I think of it...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lara at Old Trafford on what ended up his last tour.

Knew our chances of seeing him again were slim so wanted an hour or two of him before being dismissed whilst the rest of the Windies side struggled.

Of course on the day Freddie was too good for him and he got a duck.

Off to see England India this summer - wouldn't mind the same with SRT actually.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
We have no national team so I dont get mixed feelings cheering for opposing teams/players :)

Actually there is not a team I wouldnt cheer for as I think of it...
I suggest you start watching Wasim and Waqar videos on YouTube immediately, you'll become an instant follower of the Pakistani bowling like Usain Bolt. :laugh:

BTW which country are you from?

I always support England after Pakistan (even though I detest Stuart Barbie Bieber). Swann, Anderson, Strauss, KP are all top blokes.

Shri

Mr. Glass
When the match is going on, I always want every opposition bowler to be smashed and every opposition bat to get out. I only appreciate a good innings or a spell of bowling by an opposition player after the game is over and when I am watching the highlights. Only exception was when Murali was looking for his 800th wicket, I knew we were going to lose shortly and rooted for Murali for a while.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When I go to Eng vs India later this year I'm hoping to see Sachin score a few. Wouldn't mind him making something like 22* while Swann takes 10/0 :cool:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lara was the batsman I was most conflicted about. As an England follower it was always a relief on the rare occasions we dismissed the great man cheaply, but there was always a tinge of regret one had been denied another masterclass from, an overused phrase but one that definitely applied to Brian Charles, a genius.

More than any other sport I love watching cricket as a neutral though; I wasn't (overly) arsed who won the world cup final, but Mehela's innings was worth the admission fee (or my Sky subscription) alone. There was something Laraesque about the deft lateness of his touch.

smash84

The Tiger King
I wanted Warne to run through the Indian side (something that he never did) from one end while Tendy was smashing him from the other. It was just too good watching Tendy against Warne.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Am seriously conflicted during the Ashes. Want both the team to lose. When either team gains the upper hand I start rooting for the other team. Leaves me with totally confused feelings.

Have similar conflict for the greatest cricketing match-up since 2008, MI vs CSK. Sachin to score a century and CSK to win. :ph34r: