• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali The Greatest Asian Cricketer Ever

Which of the following options do you think is the most appropriate rank for Murali

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Muralitharan retiring from international cricket marks the end of an era. An ATG great bowler. Arguably the greatest spinner ever to play the game. A wicket taking machine. Highest wicket taker in tests and ODIs. A champion on the field as well as off it. Now that his career has ended where do CWers rate him in the pantheon of Asian cricketing greats?

smash84

The Tiger King
Actually the way Tendulkar has performed during the last 3-4 years I think he has a fair chance of edging out Murali. Actually that was the main reason that prompted me to come up with this thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Murali and Sachin are both damn close, but I think it's fair to say Imran trumps them both.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Actually the way Tendulkar has performed during the last 3-4 years I think he has a fair chance of edging out Murali. Actually that was the main reason that prompted me to come up with this thread
On weight of sheer number of runs, yes. But Tendulkar still doesn't have some individual performances to match Lara. Murali the bowler has everything. No one else has taken 9 or more wickets twice etc etc.

smash84

The Tiger King
Murali and Sachin are both damn close,.
exactly

On weight of sheer number of runs, yes. But Tendulkar still doesn't have some individual performances to match Lara. Murali the bowler has everything. No one else has taken 9 or more wickets twice etc etc.
I think the only thing that Tendulkar probably doesn't have atm is a triple hundred. His record is arguably the most complete of all batsmen. Murali doesn't have a great record in Australia either. It is damn close as Jono says. Yeah, and Lara is not relevant.

abmk

State 12th Man
Actually no, murali's test record isn't complete like sachin's . Awful vs Aus in Aus and mediocre vs Ind in Ind in tests .

Dissector

International Debutant
IMO Murali is the greatest bowler in the history of the game. What he achieved in his 9-year peak period is staggering, almost Bradmanesque: 7 wickets per test match at an average of 21 against non-minnow sides. As a cricketer though I would place him behind Imran Khan. It's awfully hard for a pure bowler to match the sheer value of a great bowling all-rounder/captain

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Lara is of course relevant. You have to see how these greats stand alongside other cricketers of their age. Anyway, you're not going to convince me against Murali. I love him as much as a straight man can love another man :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lara is of course relevant. You have to see how these greats stand alongside other cricketers of their age. Anyway, you're not going to convince me against Murali. I love him as much as a straight man can love another man :)
If you're going to start comparing Sachin to Lara in a thread about Asian players, I'll point out how McGrath's record is far superior to Murali's in many parts of the world, and against India, which Murali failed.

It's pointless bringing in other cricketers into this debate.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sachin's last two years shouldn't edge Murali out unless you think added to his overall career it does.

Because there was a time when Murali was performing every match and Sachin was struggling.

Add their whole careers together.

Also another point, Sachin isn't finished yet :)