• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* - India in West Indies

Borges

International Regular
He's not suited to test cricket.
Agreed; he never was, and IMHO never will be a test batsman. India got away with it for a very long time because the top five were so incredibly strong. Time wasted really, time which should have been utilised for finding long term replacements for the fab four.

If you guys are thinking it, I have no doubt the selectors are.
More importantly, I suspect Dhoni and Tendulkar are.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I will forever be thankful to Yuvraj for his innings in Chennai against England, but agree with Jono and Teja here. He can't use his bowling to find his way back into Test cricket, there is no 10-over quota you have to get done with, and you have to be a threat to take wickets when batsmen are in no hurry to score fast.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I will forever be thankful to Yuvraj for his innings in Chennai against England, but agree with Jono and Teja here. He can't use his bowling to find his way back into Test cricket, there is no 10-over quota you have to get done with, and you have to be a threat to take wickets when batsmen are in no hurry to score fast.
TBH, if we do go for UDRS, there is a good chance his quicker ones will get a few guys out LBW most of the time... It is just so hard to keep playing for the straighter one esp. if he can rip a few and get them to turn off a length...

jeevan

International 12th Man
There is no 10 over quota, but there's a need to not grind Zaheer, Ishant into the dust by making them bowl 15-20 overs a day, isn't there. That's the reason we play Ojha in tests, isn't it? He does not appear to be a wicket taker either...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
TBH, if we do go for UDRS, there is a good chance his quicker ones will get a few guys out LBW most of the time... It is just so hard to keep playing for the straighter one esp. if he can rip a few and get them to turn off a length...
Change bowler, will wrap a few people on the pads in his first over or two at a batsman but can't be counted to use other plans to get them out when they can sit on him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Change bowler, will wrap a few people on the pads in his first over or two at a batsman but can't be counted to use other plans to get them out when they can sit on him.
I am sure he is.. but I mean he should still be ok to go through 3 spells of 5 overs each in a day, which will ease out the other bowlers' burdens?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
When India take three seamers in, then it's an option. Maybe in England. However, I don't think it really is where they already have two spin options.

Although with Sehwag injured, and if Pujara is in front of Raina, then it does limit their options quite a bit after their four bowlers.

abmk

State 12th Man
tbh, sehwag would be a MUCH better option than yuvi for the part-timer role in tests ( even better than bhajji on quite a few occasions :ph34r: ) ... Anyone knows what's the status of his shoulder injury that has kept him from bowling in the recent past ?

Playing Yuvi in tests at this stage is a bit of gamble really , considering we have the likes of vijay,raina,kohli,pujara also waiting in the wings

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hypothetic situation:

Imagine India are resting a number of their key players.. Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin, Laxman, Dhoni, Harbhajan and Zaheer. So what will India's test side and squad be?

My guess:

Gambhir (c)
Vijay
Pujara
Yuvraj
Badri
Kohli
Dinesh Karthik (wk)
Mishra
Sreesanth
Ishant
Munaf

Reserves:

Raina
Ojha
Praveen
Mukund

Would you guys agree?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
When India take three seamers in, then it's an option. Maybe in England. However, I don't think it really is where they already have two spin options.

Although with Sehwag injured, and if Pujara is in front of Raina, then it does limit their options quite a bit after their four bowlers.
I think they ll play 3 seamers in Windies.. For some reason, these guys are more comfortable that way.

jeevan

International 12th Man
In the sub-continent Yuvraj has been an acceptable test batsman (esp in India & Pakistan). Outside the sub-continent he's not a worse batting selection than Raina - who replaced him in the test line up - and likely a better bowler too.

If Kohli practices his seam up he'd be the only other option among likely test batsmen. to turn his arm over. Also likely to be better than Yuvraj, but the likely scenario is of 3 seamers.

Sehwag & Sachin not bowling much any more is a reality that needs to be adjusted to. Sehwag in particular was doing quite well, but alas...

Daemon

Sehwag & Sachin not bowling much any more is a reality that needs to be adjusted to. Sehwag in particular was doing quite well, but alas...
That ball Sachin bowled to Clarke against Australia in the Quarters nearly made me jizz :laugh:

biased indian

International Coach
Hypothetic situation:

Imagine India are resting a number of their key players.. Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin, Laxman, Dhoni, Harbhajan and Zaheer. So what will India's test side and squad be?

My guess:

Gambhir (c)
Vijay
Pujara
Yuvraj
Badri
Kohli
Dinesh Karthik (wk)
Mishra
Sreesanth
Ishant
Munaf

Reserves:

Raina
Ojha
Praveen
Mukund

Would you guys agree?
why would you rest dravid laxman and sachin any way wont play the ODI

and the rest of the 3 should be given rest for ODI's and to play only test..even if we draw a couple game there our number one ranking will suffer

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Hypothetic situation:

My guess:

Gambhir (c)
Vijay
Pujara
Yuvraj
Badri
Kohli
Dinesh Karthik (wk)
Mishra
Sreesanth
Ishant
Munaf

Reserves:

Raina
Ojha
Praveen
Mukund

Would you guys agree?
I don't want to speculate as to what the squad would be...however, here is what I think it should be under such circumstances...

1. Gautam Gambhir (c)
2. Murali Vijay
3. S Badrinath
4. Cheteswar Pujara
5. Virat Kohli
6. Yuvraj Singh
7. Dinesh Karthik
8. R Ashwin
9. Sreesanth
10. Pragyan Ojha
11. Munaf Patel

Reserves: R Vinay Kumar, Ajinkya Rahane, Suresh Raina

Had a change of heart, Sreesanth might just keep his place.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think an Indian side with 7 or 8 top players missing would run a serious chance of getting badly beaten on tour. I doubt they'd be so headstrong to not field these players.

Daemon

I think an Indian side with 7 or 8 top players missing would run a serious chance of getting badly beaten on tour. I doubt they'd be so headstrong to not field these players.
Yeah..remember those matches last year against Zimbabwe :wacko:

Blaze 18

Banned
I'd love to see five bowlers in the side : Zaheer, Sreesanth, Munaf, Harbhajan, Ashwin. Not going to happen though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
why would you rest dravid laxman and sachin any way wont play the ODI

and the rest of the 3 should be given rest for ODI's and to play only test..even if we draw a couple game there our number one ranking will suffer
lol.. hypothetic bud.. I put that word for a reason :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah..remember those matches last year against Zimbabwe :wacko:

Juz speculating, gents.. I know it wont happen. Hence said the word "hypothetical".. Kinda curious to know whom people think are the next best to the main guys..

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Vijay is surely next cab off the ranks for Dravid's position?
Don't think so ,

Though he may again sneak in based on IPL.:wacko:

Certainly Pujara,Badrinath,Rahane and Kohli have a right for that number 3 position ahead of Vijay.

In fact Vijay would do well to remain the backup opener with Mukund pushing strongly for that spot and maybe Parthiv Patel too.

Tbh, I am actually very tempted to give Yuvraj another shot in Tests. Let's face it, the man has talent. And if he can somehow, just somehow, come good for us in Tests, we will really benefit the way we have in ODIs from his services. And what better time than now, when his confidence is sky high?
Oh! God NO!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

He surely can't get into the test team again based on his ODI and T20 performances again.
Has happened too long and failed too long for it to happen again.
Even his FC record is not great .First let him perform there again before even thinking about it.

Don't want either him or Raina in the test squad right now.