• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* - India in West Indies

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm.. nothing wrong with debuting a 31 year old batsman if he really deserves it (I realize Badri has already made his debut :p). See Mike Hussey, etc.

Borges

International Regular
Hmm.. nothing wrong with debuting a 31 year old batsman if he really deserves it. See Mike Hussey, etc.
Yup you have a point.

But the highlighted part is precisely what scares the hell out of me. Australia did that consistently, and ended up being in a state of eternal transition. Mike Hussey didn't last long enough; he was too old by the time he started

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yup you have a point.

But the highlighted part is precisely what scares the hell out of me. Australia did that consistently, and ended up being in a state of eternal transition. Mike Hussey didn't last long enough; he was too old by the time he started
Are you seriously telling me you'd complain if Badri was to average say, 70 after 25 Tests, and help us thrash the likes of England and Australia? :p I'd take any kind of protracted decline afterwards if you offered me that.. bird in hand and all that.

Borges

International Regular
Are you seriously telling me you'd complain if Badri was to average say, 70 after 25 Tests, and help us thrash the likes of England and Australia? :p I'd take any kind of protracted decline afterwards if you offered me that.. bird in hand and all that.
Obviously I would be overjoyed if he could do that.

I'm just factoring in the probability that a very good FC batsman evolves into being a very good test batsman. Once you have a new batsman in the team, you have to give him a fair trial; give him enough time to find his bearings at the international level. Just imagine a 31 year old Alistair Cook debuting for England!

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Should give Kohli a chance in tests just to know how he goes about it. would definitely fare better then Raina i guess.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Out of interest, where do the Indian fans have these cricketers in the "queue" to get into the Indian middle order?

Right now I'd have -

Pujara
Badrinath
Kholi
Vijay

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Had Vijay not played test cricket that is probably the queue I'd have. But he has, so it's hard to drop him really. Particularly when he hasn't been a failure. Sure he hasn't blown people away, but he's shown good signs.

Also add Rahane to that list I reckon.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It seemed that way 8 months ago. But it could go either way now. I mean Pujara played the 3rd test vs. South Africa whilst Vijay didn't. Is that because the team see Pujara better suited to the lower order, or because he has leapfrogged Vijay in the pecking order?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It seemed that way 8 months ago. But it could go either way now. I mean Pujara played the 3rd test vs. South Africa whilst Vijay didn't. Is that because the team see Pujara better suited to the lower order, or because he has leapfrogged Vijay in the pecking order?
I would have assumed the former.

Cbf checking, but has Vijay played a Test where Sehwag and Gambhir have both been available?

jeevan

International 12th Man

Cbf checking, but has Vijay played a Test where Sehwag and Gambhir have both been available?
Yes. Filled in at #3 for Dravid a couple of times and once, I believe, for Laxman at #5 - that was an away test dont recall which and he was the main spare batsman.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes. Filled in at #3 for Dravid a couple of times and once, I believe, for Laxman at #5 - that was an away test dont recall which and he was the main spare batsman.
Are you sure? Because I don't recall something like this. Pretty much all the time he played GG was either injured or unavailable.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh, I am actually very tempted to give Yuvraj another shot in Tests. Let's face it, the man has talent. And if he can somehow, just somehow, come good for us in Tests, we will really benefit the way we have in ODIs from his services. And what better time than now, when his confidence is sky high?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Are you sure? Because I don't recall something like this. Pretty much all the time he played GG was either injured or unavailable.
Replaced an injured Dravid in these matches:
1st Test: India v South Africa at Nagpur, Feb 6-9, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
2nd Test: India v South Africa at Kolkata, Feb 14-18, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Replaced an injured Laxman in this match:
2nd Test: Bangladesh v India at Dhaka, Jan 24-27, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Xuhaib

International Coach
time to blood Kohli in test cricket, the brightest Indian batting talent by a country mile believe he has the talent to average 50+.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Tbh, I am actually very tempted to give Yuvraj another shot in Tests. Let's face it, the man has talent. And if he can somehow, just somehow, come good for us in Tests, we will really benefit the way we have in ODIs from his services. And what better time than now, when his confidence is sky high?
Like in this WC, his path back in may be through his bowling. Might not be that much worse than Ojha and may provide a solution to the perennial 4 bowlers or 5 bowlers dilemma.

Borges

International Regular
Like in this WC, his path back in may be through his bowling. Might not be that much worse than Ojha and may provide a solution to the perennial 4 bowlers or 5 bowlers dilemma.
Definitely not worse than Harbhajan most of the time. After Kumble called it a day, Harbhajan bowling competently - like in the tour to SA recently - is just an all too rare blip.

Hmm... bring in Yuvraj as a bowler who can also hold a bat? Interesting.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No no no no no nooooooooooooooo.

If you guys are thinking it, I have no doubt the selectors are.

He's not suited to test cricket.

shivfan

Banned
Even if they were all fit, you just know the Windies will select Benn and Bishoo/Miller.
Actually, for Tests, I expect one spinner to play....

I'm a bit surprised to see this thread started before the West Indies vs Pakistan series, which starts in a fortnight's time.
:)

Teja.

Global Moderator
Oh God, no! If Yuvraj wants to play, Let him make his way through domestic performances for the next 2 years. He had his chance(hundreds of them) and blew it, He has to earn another.

It scares me that the selectors are going to consider this.

Last edited: