Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Tendulkar's career now "complete"?

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I hope he carries on for as long as he is good enough - and I can't see him not being for a while yet
    Would say this. And add that there's no such thing as a complete career.
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

State Vice-Captain
    A non existent one?
    imagine the pressure then!

haven't they set one up yet?

thought it was a done deal....or close enough to it. my mistake.
    Last edited by hang on; 04-04-2011 at 04:58 AM.
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

(massive apologies to barnes)

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    ...... and of course when he finally does stop playing his career won't be complete until he has taken the record for the heaviest and longest recently retired cricketer's autobiography, currently held by Steve Waugh

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Would say this. And add that there's no such thing as a complete career.
    This.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Thing is, the only thing deciding whether Sachin goes or stays is, well, Sachin. It's not as if he's just contributing enough to stay in the team like you'd imagine Ponting will from now on (at the very least, he has a lesser role). He's still India's gun. I find that more impressive than the mere fact he's scored so many runs or scored so many hundreds. Every time he walks out, he's still the wicket the oppo wants more than any other in the line-up whereas I bet very few bowlers feel that way about Ponting any more.

As an aside, he's usually so measured but it was awesome to see him lose his **** like he was a 21-year-old winning the cup. I bumped into him a couple of years ago in Adelaide Arcade, had a real bouncy energy about him. Inspirational.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 04-04-2011 at 05:44 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Thing is, the only thing deciding whether Sachin goes or stays is, well, Sachin. It's not as if he's just contributing enough to stay in the team like you'd imagine Ponting will from now on (at the very least, he has a lesser role). He's still India's gun. I find that more impressive than the mere fact he's scored so many runs or scored so many hundreds. Every time he walks out, he's still the wicket the oppo wants more than any other in the line-up whereas I bet very few bowlers feel that way about Ponting any more.

As an aside, he's usually so measured but it was awesome to see him lose his **** like he was a 21-year-old winning the cup. I bumped into him a couple of years ago in Adelaide Arcade, had a real bouncy energy about him. Inspirational.
    Yup, that is what is truly amazing about him - be the team's most important player over a stretch of 150 test matches.

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    No.

He hasn't scored 400 runs in a Test Innings

School Boy/Girl Captain Western Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    ...... and of course when he finally does stop playing his career won't be complete until he has taken the record for the heaviest and longest recently retired cricketer's autobiography, currently held by Steve Waugh
    I'd still queue up to buy it.

Sachin has to go down as the best player of the modern era. He is just one of those generational athletes like Tiger Woods, Michael Schumacher, Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan etc who comes along and makes everybody else look like amateurs. Record after record just keeps tumbling and I think he has set the bar so high no one is ever going to be able to clear it.
    Last edited by Western Warrior; 05-04-2011 at 01:33 AM.
    "Cricket needs brightening up a bit. My solution is to let players drink at the beginning of the game, not after. It always works in our picnic matches." - Paul Hogan

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Western Warrior View Post

Sachin has to go down as the best player of the modern era. He is just one of those generational athletes like Tiger Woods, Michael Schumacher, Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan etc who comes along and makes everybody else look like amateurs. Record after record just keeps tumbling and I think he has set the bar so high no one is ever going to be able to clear it.
    the bar so high in terms of??? runs scored? average per innings?? number of match winning knocks???
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    the bar so high in terms of??? runs scored? average per innings?? number of match winning knocks???
    All of the above. All though I think Lara can rest easy that his 400 will be safe.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars

Not really. Tendulkar has had close peers who have even outperformed him during his career. If anything he is to be applauded on his amazing longevity but to compare batsmen of the same generation and labelling them amateurish is complete rubbish
    Last edited by GotSpin; 05-04-2011 at 01:56 AM.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

All of the above.

Perhaps my choice of words was a little over-enthusiastic and I apologize.. Obviously amateur or amateurish is applicable to the likes of Kallis, Laxman, Ponting Waugh etc etc.

It was never my intent to begin a statistical debate over Tendulkar v other players of his era. However, I still believe that he is one, if not the player of the modern generation.

You are dead right Got_Spin, it is his longevity and continued ability to contribute and contribute well at the pointy end of the sport that is to be applauded.

. Obviously amateur or amateurish is applicable to the likes of Kallis, Laxman, Ponting Waugh etc etc.

International 12th Man blahblahblah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post

the number of odi runs

number of test runs

no:of international centuries

no:of centuries in winning cause

and having achieved these things after having faced the likes of mcgrath,murali,wasim,waqar,warne,lee,steyn,pollock ,akhtar, ......................

u want some more ?

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information