• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watershed for the waterboy?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The first time I saw Yuvraj play, he smashed 80 odd against a very good Australian attack in Kenya and I genuinely thought that the world had seen the emergence of a fabulous new talent that would follow in the footsteps of Tendy, etc

The last time I saw him was when he was deservedly awarded the Player of the 2011 WC

Unfortunately, the years in between have seen more ups and down than a fiddler's elbow and his reputation at the highest level (i.e. tests) has decreased at the same rate as his waist line has expanded

Does anyone think that WC success will see Yuvi commit himself to eradicating the technical deficiencies from his game and finally fulfill his promise or will it be more of the same?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the mass public opinion after his WC exploits will brainwash the selectors into giving him another chance in Tests. Not sure he deserves it, technically not good enough and doesn't have the gritty mentality of a Gambhir to overcome those defects. But then, I didn't see this amazing WC turnaround coming either.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the mass public opinion after his WC exploits will brainwash the selectors into giving him another chance in Tests. Not sure he deserves it, technically not good enough and doesn't have the gritty mentality of a Gambhir to overcome those defects. But then, I didn't see this amazing WC turnaround coming either.
Can absolutely see him playing against England for the reasons you've stated and that's in the back of my mind when I posted this thread

Unfortunately, I can see him spending more time on the talk-show circuit than in the nets betwen now and then

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Whatever else he's been doing, it isn't hitting the treadmill in the gym. Still decidedly portly.

Might finally be maturing as a player tho; he said after the final he'd worked hard at his bowling because India don't have a proper SLA bowler (I assume he meant in the squad or Ojha might be removing him from his diwali card list) and did seem to grow into the extra responsibility.

Batted more respsonsibly too; didn't seem to feel the need to belt the leather off every ball.

vcs

Yeah, if he wants to be remembered as a great player rather than just a very good one who had an exceptional World Cup, he needs to kick his career on from here in all formats. Can't ask for a better launchpad.

Bun

Banned
The first time I saw Yuvraj play, he smashed 80 odd against a very good Australian attack in Kenya and I genuinely thought that the world had seen the emergence of a fabulous new talent that would follow in the footsteps of Tendy, etc

The last time I saw him was when he was deservedly awarded the Player of the 2011 WC

Unfortunately, the years in between have seen more ups and down than a fiddler's elbow and his reputation at the highest level (i.e. tests) has decreased at the same rate as his waist line has expanded

Does anyone think that WC success will see Yuvi commit himself to eradicating the technical deficiencies from his game and finally fulfill his promise or will it be more of the same?
He's not test class period.

But he's been one of the best ODI players in the last decade or so, without having the stats to back him really.

Bun

Banned
Whatever else he's been doing, it isn't hitting the treadmill in the gym. Still decidedly portly.

Might finally be maturing as a player tho; he said after the final he'd worked hard at his bowling because India don't have a proper SLA bowler (I assume he meant in the squad or Ojha might be removing him from his diwali card list) and did seem to grow into the extra responsibility.

Batted more respsonsibly too; didn't seem to feel the need to belt the leather off every ball.
Haha, maybe Gymming is overrated for a cricketer. Ask Gatting/Ranatunga/Powar :ph34r:

Also curiously I don't think his weaknesses were exploited by the bowling teams. He is prone to the waft outside off and the eyes-shut-wild-hook atleast early on the innings. Day nighters in summer might have neutralised the former, and the docile pitches perhaps the latter.

But his bowling has been a revelation. Agreed, they were given too much respect sometimes than deserved (Umar Akmal briefly showed us how he should've been played), but his control and dip over the entire length of the tournament was remarkable for a batsman who bowls.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah his career is sort of Bevanish. Suited more to ODIs and not that well suited to test match cricket.

Shri

Mr. Glass
His ODI stats are decent enough tbh. He averages about 38 in ODIs and strikes at almost 90. Thats good for a player who has batted in a lot of positions in his career. We could see him improve his stats now that he has got a fixed spot in the ODI line up.

As far as tests are concerned, he could be used like Samaraweera. Play him only in home tests and play someone else in away games.

Bun

Banned
His ODI stats are decent enough tbh. He averages about 38 in ODIs and strikes at almost 90. Thats good for a player who has batted in a lot of positions in his career. We could see him improve his stats now that he has got a fixed spot in the ODI line up.

As far as tests are concerned, he could be used like Samaraweera. Play him only in home tests and play someone else in away games.
Haha somehow he steps up in tests only when the chips are totally down, almost all his best knocks have come when the batting lineup had not really done it's job.

I am not saying his ODI stats are poor, but for his talent he deserves better figures than those.

vcs

Can easily see him struggling against even mediocre visiting Test spinners on Indian tracks. TBF to him, the 80 odd against Swann and Panesar in Chennai in 2008 was an excellent innings.

He seems to need to be in a really fired up mental state (remember piechucker-gate in 2008?) to perform at that level. This WC, he was talking about "performing for a special somebody" and whatnot. What happened to cricketers that are self-motivated to give their best every single time?

Bun

Banned
Can easily see him struggling against even mediocre visiting Test spinners on Indian tracks. TBF to him, the 80 odd against Swann and Panesar in Chennai in 2008 was an excellent innings.

He seems to need to be in a really fired up mental state (remember piechucker-gate in 2008?) to perform at that level. This WC, he was talking about "performing for a special somebody" and whatnot. What happened to cricketers that are self-motivated to give their best every single time?
Apparently the "special person" turned out to be Sachin Tendulkar!! Great gesture from Yuvi there.

Agreed, he has incredible ability, just lacks the self motivation to raise it. Not a great self starter I guess.

vcs

Apparently the "special person" turned out to be Sachin Tendulkar!! Great gesture from Yuvi there.

Agreed, he has incredible ability, just lacks the self motivation to raise it. Not a great self starter I guess.
Yeah, that came out midway through the tournament. Good on him for backing it up with his performances I guess, but for his own good and the larger good of the team, he must find his own reasons to motivate himself, not to "prove something" to the outer world, or "do it for a special person"..

shankar

International Debutant
He has fulfilled his promise in ODI cricket TBF. Apart from the recent period of 2 years he has been instrumental to India's success. In fact in the period before his recent slump, he was batting at a incredible level. He was averaging 45 striking at 90 over a 4 year period before the slump.

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
Yeah, that came out midway through the tournament. Good on him for backing it up with his performances I guess, but for his own good and the larger good of the team, he must find his own reasons to motivate himself, not to "prove something" to the outer world, or "do it for a special person"..
I'd rather say "do it for a special person" can be construed as a kind of self motivation. The key is to keep that going every single time he steps out to bat or field or bowl. If he can train his mind to be switched on to do that, he'll do brilliant in the years to come.

Briony

International Debutant
He needs to prove himself outside the sub-continent though, and especially in tests. He was woeful in Australia. The WC performance was good but it was essentially dominated by Asian teams in their conditions.

Daemon

He seemed alot more determined and sensible at the crease this WC. Think Yuvi's one of those players who performed because of the motivational speaker guy India hired. His name escapes me but I read his achievements and he's an incredible guy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Awesome ODI player that went through a bad patch and made a fantastic recovery.

Not fit (no pun intended) for test cricket, and shouldn't get another go because there are plenty of better candidates out there to replace Dravid and (eventually) Laxman and Tendulkar.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Awesome ODI player that went through a bad patch and made a fantastic recovery.

Not fit (no pun intended) for test cricket, and shouldn't get another go because there are plenty of better candidates out there to replace Dravid and (eventually) Laxman and Tendulkar.
You know he's going to get recalled though.