• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next New Zealand BLACKCAPS Captain?

daz42

Cricket Spectator
Brendon McCullum or Ross Taylor? I personally think they should give it to Brendon , give the team some positive, aggressive leadership, then hand over the reins to Rosco in three or four years time.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Welcome to CW -

Ross Taylor for me - no particular reason - just think he is the better player - and I think he is 27 now.

Also McCullum is a bit of a loose cannon - his behaviour from the balcony after the infamous Grant Elliot run out was not seemly.

Flem274*

123/5
Both have captained a few games, and Taylor impressed me more.

Besides, do you really want McCullum captain of the ODI team when his place in the batting order is in question?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Taylor for my money. NZ's best batsman (give or take Jesse Ryder and that's just never happening) and speaks very well too.

Don't know much about his captaincy chops, but has plenty of time to grow into the role.

amyswan

Cricket Spectator
I would vote for brendon mccullum as he's aggressive in nature and the only match winner Kiwis have. Undoubtedly Taylor impressed everyone in the recent tournament but i guess he still needs a little maturity in his game plus experience is very important to have captaincy. So i guess Brendon would be a better option than him.

Flem274*

123/5
I would vote for brendon mccullum as he's aggressive in nature and the only match winner Kiwis have. Undoubtedly Taylor impressed everyone in the recent tournament but i guess he still needs a little maturity in his game plus experience is very important to have captaincy. So i guess Brendon would be a better option than him.
Brendon McCullum is well down the list of NZ matchwinners imo. If we gave the captaincy to our next best player after Vettori, it would have to be Mills.

And Taylor has far more maturity in his game than McCullum also.

Athlai

Not Terrible
How is Millsy our next best player? ICC player rankings being overvalued here imo.

A quality new ball bowler who can't be bowled at the death isn't as valuable as Ross or Pig IMO. Heck even Oram holds more value to the team tbh.

Flem274*

123/5
Mills would be the second name on the teamsheet after Vettori imo. I'd take a world class seam bowler over a couple of average middle order batsmen.

EDIT: Changed your tune on Oram I see.:p

Athlai

Not Terrible
Think you overestimate my tune on Mills.

Also Southee would be the first bowler I put on the team sheet in all forms of the game (besides Dan in the limited overs and arguably Martin in Tests).

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has Mills signed for Central Districts or something? Otherwise I'm clearly missing some important tidbit of information.