• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's WC Win and the Ramifications for ODI Cricket

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Obviously, India hold many of the purse strings of international cricket. After India won the T20 WC, it was a boon for the format and helped create an explosion of T20 cricket, led by the IPL.

Do you think that India winning this WC will lead to the format becoming more popular and played more often as India celebrate the fact that they have won a WC in the commercial ODI era. Or could it be more as though they have achieved the holy grail, and that there is a bit of an ODI hangover after this and lead to a further movement to Test cricket and T20 cricket being the formats of choice?

Or is the money generated by ODI cricket still too much to pass up?

Bun

Banned
Definitely this win will be a shot in the arm for the format in the subcontinent. But I don't think (and dearly hope not) we will see back to the late 90s when 40+ ODIs were the norm per year. I think the existing balance between tests, ODIs and T20s will continue. That said, in the long run, ODIs will definitely get replaced by T20s.s

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good for the game if you enjoy 50 over cricket and commercially its always been attractive given it last longer than 20/20s and there is more revenue generating opportunities.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Said something along those lines before the WC final and got shot down for trolling. I could just imagine how much the global TV rights for World Cups will be worth now.

Dissector

International Debutant
Yes I doubt it will have much of an effect. This world cup won't make Indian fans more enthusiastic about a tedious seven match ODI series or a random triangular ODI tournament.

There is still a lot of fat in the ODI calendar which needs to be trimmed. I think bilateral ODI series should have be a mix of 3 and 5 game series and the number of triangular ODI tournaments needs to be drastically reduced. Basically restrict the ODI format to bilateral series and high-profile tournaments like the World cup, Champions Trophy and the Asia Cup.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It gives the country belief imo. 83 was a different story in the sense that it was a come from nowhere triumph, but how they dealt with the expectations and pressure of the tournament will live on for a long time. Can see a lot of the Indian cricket fan pessimism going away as a result of these performances in the knockout stages. They were just so calm and assured and played like the best team in the world. New era starting right here.

Blaze 18

Banned
Yes I doubt it will have much of an effect. This world cup won't make Indian fans more enthusiastic about a tedious seven match ODI series or a random triangular ODI tournament.

There is still a lot of fat in the ODI calendar which needs to be trimmed. I think bilateral ODI series should have be a mix of 3 and 5 game series and the number of triangular ODI tournaments needs to be drastically reduced. Basically restrict the ODI format to bilateral series and high-profile tournaments like the World cup, Champions Trophy and the Asia Cup.
This.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whether it was the teams being focused because if the WC or not, it seemed there were a heap of good- very good 50 over matches in the past six or so months. I think there's still very much a place for them, but whether they're still about in a meaningful sense in 10 years, who knows?

I do agree with the post which notes that an absence of minor teams at least being given the chance to qualify in the future kind of leaves the WC concept a tad hollow. I know it went too long this time, but that's more a TV scheduling thing than anything else, I'd think. It's a matter of opinion of course, but I like getting to see the Irelands, Netherlands and Englands play against the better countries on ODIs.

smash84

The Tiger King

This. So this.

I don't know about others but I am getting sick of T20 cricket which requires the least amount of skill tbh. Less of T20 please and not more of ODIs either. High profile ODI tournaments and 3 match bilateral series. That is it. No 3 team tournaments either.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
So what i can gather....

Big 10 and their fans are sick of ODIs against each other
The other 6 can't get a game againt any of the big 10 outside of the world cup because they're 'too busy'
The big 10 complain the other 6 are not competitive.

Play them more than once every 4 years then foolzzzz

Spark

Global Moderator
This. So this.

I don't know about others but I am getting sick of T20 cricket which requires the least amount of skill tbh. Less of T20 please and not more of ODIs either. High profile ODI tournaments and 3 match bilateral series. That is it. No 3 team tournaments either.
I'm sick of T20Is as well tbh. Trim the IPL down - so it doesn't hog such a gargantuan amount of the calendar - and leave T20 to that, and leave the T20 WC. Apart from that, I don't see what it brings to international cricket.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm sick of T20Is as well tbh. Trim the IPL down - so it doesn't hog such a gargantuan amount of the calendar - and leave T20 to that, and leave the T20 WC. Apart from that, I don't see what it brings to international cricket.
What an excellent suggestion - get this man in a position of influence at the ICC as soon as possible

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It will have no effect whatsoever IMO.
This. The 50 over format isn't exactly in a stage of infancy to need the kind of push that T20 needed.

EDIT: Add me to the list of people sick of T20 format. Loved the days when there were just two versions - the longer and the shorter. Hate the shortest one.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was a huge T20 hater, but I like it now.

Happy with all three formats. Reckon there is room for all three, but can understand why some would want no T20 or no ODIs. I see both arguments.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't mind T20 if there wasn't a T20 WC every ****ing year. I also think IPL is going to take a big hit this year, what with WC overkill fatigue etc. and people being too busy still rejoicing in India's win.