• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Something rather eye opening.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
And perhaps even touching.

Came across this piece by Selvey - one of the better writers around in the cricket writing firmament - in the Guardian. It's about Murali and, of course, touches upon his action and the reaction to it the world over.

Right at the end there is an anecdote about Murali as recounted by the erstwhile lankan coach, Moody, that is really enlightening. I am not one given to hagiographic accounts of players' lives and influence, but I must confess that my respect for Murali shot up tenfold.

Might be worth a look.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/apr/01/muttiah-muralitharan-sri-lanka-final

Last edited:

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
I really wish you hadn't posted that. I almost dislocated my wrist trying that touching the forearm thingy.

Nice article. Always thought he was a great sportsman.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good to see Mike's on-message about Murali's bastard offspring:

Mike Selvey said:
It is, to sidetrack a second, an unfortunate consequence that one aspect of his legacy has been to sow the seeds for a generation of bowlers who, seeking to emulate his doosra, really do throw it. We have seen more than one of those in this World Cup.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably Ajmal and Botha. I have no idea why Botha chucks it, I've never seen him bowl an effective doosra even with his dodgy action.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Botha was an ordinary medium pacer before he adopted Murali's "action" and, hey ho, test cricket here we come

Sorry but I dont miss Murali

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Botha looks so bad now, I hate to think what he must have looked like when he was bowling doosras... :ph34r:

Teja.

Global Moderator
I'll certainly miss Murali.

It's not his fault that he had a physical condition which enabled him to bowl a delivery legally which is impossible(or close to) to bowl cleanly by a normal person

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting anecdote. What a great man. And they call him a cheat! *shrug*

Always thought great cricketers are not just great athlets but great human beings. Some personify humility, some grit and determination, some sheer devotion and perseverance, some great leadership . Murali is no different.

Bun

Banned
I challenge people to bowl like Murali for 16 years, with purposeful bent elbow and all that, and take 800 wickets,

Seems like people forget how trivial is the gain a spinner gets from chucking as compared to a fast bowler.

Teja.

Global Moderator
It's interesting - from a purely cricketing opinion POV, I must add - that such a unique view on spinners and chucking was shared by a member called Sir Alex. What an amazing coincidence!

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I challenge people to bowl like Murali for 16 years, with purposeful bent elbow and all that, and take 800 wickets,

Seems like people forget how trivial is the gain a spinner gets from chucking as compared to a fast bowler.
You are kidding

Try a simple experiment - take a ball (cricket, ping-pong, tennis, whatever) and flick it with a throwing action and then compare it to the work you can get on a ball by just using your fingers or wrist

The extra amount of spin you can get on a ball by using a throwing action is obscene and explains why spinners try chucking it

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
You are kidding

Try a simple experiment - take a ball (cricket, ping-pong, tennis, whatever) and flick it with a throwing action and then compare it to the work you can get on a ball by just using your fingers or wrist

The extra amount of spin you can get on a ball by using a throwing action is obscene and explains why spinners try chucking it
Underarm yes, overarm?

akilana

International 12th Man
So stupid how people try so hard to discredit Murali by alleging that it's because of him, Ajmal and Botha chuck. Bitterness.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So stupid how people try so hard to discredit Murali by alleging that it's because of him, Ajmal and Botha chuck. Bitterness.
Hardly.

Read Selvey's article; he's strongly pro-Murali. He just sees those who've come after him without his unique physical gifts as an unfortunate corollary.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I've learned a long time ago not to try and inject actual facts or sense in this debate. Just skip and move on. People are entrenched and it's not a matter of facts anymore.

Mike Selvey's article is actually an excellent one and he is right. Even guys like Harbhajan have doosras which are unfortunate.

One day, he said, when Sri Lanka were in Perth, Murali went missing. When he turned up, it was discovered that on his day off he had taken himself to the University of Western Australia, where many of the tests on his action had been conducted. He told neither his colleagues nor the team management where he was going but he came back with a dossier. Apparently, he had heard that for all the previous investigations, there were still some voices suggesting that the tests had counted for little, because he had not been tested while bowling at different speeds.

So, Moody said, under lab conditions, he bowled the lot. Off-breaks, topspin, doosra, from all angles and at a whole range of speeds. Not one delivery came close to, never mind exceeded, the 15-degree limit. Moody still has the report, detailing every ball bowled.

The most striking thing, though, was Murali's motive. He did not go to the lab to prove yet again that he was clear. He went because he was starting to wonder whether there might not be some truth in what his more informed critics were saying. There was no way he wished to play a game in which he might genuinely be cheating. So he went to dispel that in his own mind and he came away content. If he had not been vindicated, the chances are that he would have abandoned cricket.
WAG

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Really not sure what Botha brings to the party other than his hilarious bowling action. You'd hope that now that SA have imported a proper spinner they will now allow JB to retire gracefully. His place is forever assured in the top tier of chuckers alongside the greats of the discipline such as Meckiff and Perera.