• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Southee to play for Chennai in IPL?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That is awesome!

Likeable player, and Chennai are a very likeable team. They will find him very useful!

Woodster

International Captain
Knew he was on the verge of signing for Essex, that has been the rumour for a while. Although was under the impression it was going to be from the start of the season, now he looks like playing in the IPL wonder if that changes anything. Could conceivably miss around seven Championship games, Essex I think want someone to play in those opening games to get themselves in a good position for promotion.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Knew he was on the verge of signing for Essex, that has been the rumour for a while. Although was under the impression it was going to be from the start of the season, now he looks like playing in the IPL wonder if that changes anything. Could conceivably miss around seven Championship games, Essex I think want someone to play in those opening games to get themselves in a good position for promotion.
Yeah, that's interesting. I'd rather he was playing a ****load of FC cricket (of which he's played precious little since 2007/08) than sitting on the bench (as he probably will be) for Chennai.

Woodster

International Captain
You can understand Southee's decision, a few weeks India with, more than likely, a pretty healthy pay packet or weeks of back to back physically demanding first-class cricket. There's no doubt in my mind the latter option would enhance his development in the longer form of the game, but players now seem to opt for T20 every time at the expense of what is best for their cricket development.

Furthermore, according to the report I read Southee had signed a contract with Essex, although there must have been something written in there allowing him to go to the IPL should a franchise come calling. Has left Essex in trouble though in terms of finding an overseas player now, after Peter Siddle also pulled out in the 11th hour due to personal reasons.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Isn't Chennai coached by Fleming? I think Fleming mentioned something about wanting Tim during our domestic t20 season.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Southee down in my estimations. You don't mess with Essex.

Nah, seriously though - I don't understand why IPL & County Cricket should be mutually exclusive - especially if you have aspirations to play proper Test cricket. Maybe this might suggest that Southee could be another player willing to substitute proper cricket for a decent pay packet.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Southee could be playing every game for CSK since Bollinger is injured and not available atm. He should feel right at home too with Fleming being our coach.