• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting to Somerset.

Eclipse

International Debutant
'Punter' signs county deal: reports

Australia's one-day captain Ricky Ponting has agreed a deal to play English county cricket for Somerset in 2004, according to reports today.

The BBC's website says Ponting will only be available for Somerset from mid-July to the end of August.

Fellow Tasmanian Jamie Cox will step in to the overseas player slot when Ponting is unavailable.

Somerset chief executive Peter Anderson said he hoped the presence of 'Punter' would prove a crowd-pleasing mive.

"We were looking to sign a high-profile player and he's obviously one of the leading batsmen in the world."

Ponting has scored 4,856 runs in 69 Tests at an average of 51. He has scored 6,325 in one-day internationals.

Current Test and previous one-day skipper Steve Waugh played for Somerset in 1988

Should be interesting to see how he goes. I did not think county cricket would have been that high on his prioritys but maybe he feels like scoring a triple hunderd or somthing lol.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats a fairly arrogant thing to suggest, but you're probably right...if Ponting hits his straps then its unlikely he'll be dismissed too often.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe he feels he needs a challenge after dominating the supposedly 'superior' Pura Cup comp..........

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
no no no, he hasn't signed as a batsman, hes signed as a bowler, hes going to open the bowling for them :) he really just wants to take more wickets

masterblaster

International Captain
Somerset really will have snapped up a 'great' in Ponting.
Interesting to see how he will go. Ponting is always proven himself to be a very hard working and the 'learning' type of cricketer.

Im sure the County Game will teach Ricky even more about the game, and make him even better.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
dont forget the boost that ponting will be to the fielding as well, feel free to correct me if im wrong but i don think that somerset have any particularly good fielders

Eclipse

International Debutant
I have always thought Ricky plays at his best when he is fresh ie he usualy starts the season brilliantly.

Hopefully he copes well with the non stop schedual of county cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
age_master said:
no no no, he hasn't signed as a batsman, hes signed as a bowler, hes going to open the bowling for them :) he really just wants to take more wickets

And I wouldnt be at all surprised :duh: Weve had Burns opening the bowling on numerous occasions (He used to be Warwickshires reserve wicket keeper I think)

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
I rank Lara, Ponting and SRT in the same class, every one else is not in their league..in his day Ponting is a master [ie WC final]

Eclipse

International Debutant
gibbsnsmith said:
I rank Lara, Ponting and SRT in the same class, every one else is not in their league..in his day Ponting is a master [ie WC final]
He's certainly got talent. He picks the ball up very early compaird to most players and like Lara and Sachin he plays shots that stick in your mind for along time.

I would say Ponting is always going to be less consistant than Tendulkar he's deffinatly not quite as good technicaly. And Lara is the better allround player especialy of spin were as Ponting is probably slightly better against pace.

Ponting for mine is half a notch below both Lara and Tendulkar but talent wise I rank him right up there.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Ponting for mine is half a notch below both Lara and Tendulkar but talent wise I rank him right up there.
What on earth? You mean to say he's not the best in the world and everyone else is nowhere near him, as with most Aussie players? ;)

:O :O :O :O :O

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
What on earth? You mean to say he's not the best in the world and everyone else is nowhere near him, as with most Aussie players? ;)

:O :O :O :O :O
Age master is usualy the guy that says all that stuff lol.

I probably have alot to say about aussie players but I usualy dont overate them that much.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Both are class players, but id much rather have Ponting batting for my life... I rate him slightly above Lara
I would take Lara because I would have as much confidence that he would do well in India as in Australia.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Age master is usualy the guy that says all that stuff lol.

I probably have alot to say about aussie players but I usualy dont overate them that much.
True.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I would take Lara because I would have as much confidence that he would do well in India as in Australia.
Thats true, but i think Ponting has conquered his problems and will be fine for the upcoming tour in India.