• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** West Indies Cricket Documentary ***

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just found out this will be shown as a part of the New Zealand International Film Festival. Can't wait.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Being into languages I enjoyed all the accents of English the former WI players speak.
And my respect for Viv Richards got much bigger eventhough he is smaller than I would have guessed from the film :)

Was it really humiliating to get beaten by a black team back then?
For England in 1976? As it was WI's fourth series win on these shores, we were pretty much used to it by then.

jan

State Vice-Captain
For England in 1976? As it was WI's fourth series win on these shores, we were pretty much used to it by then.
Well the film makes it sound like great and quite unexpected victory. Statemnets like "the quest to beat our former masters" and such confuse me then. I am not really knowledgeable on WI history though...

Hope there is gonna be some extended version, at least double time footage with less babbling from elderly ganjamen and more bowling by Holding and more staring by Richards :)

shivfan

Banned
Well the film makes it sound like great and quite unexpected victory. Statemnets like "the quest to beat our former masters" and such confuse me then. I am not really knowledgeable on WI history though...

Hope there is gonna be some extended version, at least double time footage with less babbling from elderly ganjamen and more bowling by Holding and more staring by Richards :)
Yeah, those interviews with Bunny Wailer were a bit pointless, IMHO....

I agree that the film did make it seem that the victories in 1981 and 1984 were unexpected, which I believe is misleading. If the reverse had happened, that would've been more of an upset, in actual fact.

There is always a desire by former colonies to beat the former colonial masters. That's just human nature, and has less to do with the colour of one's skin than the movie implies....

EnglishCricket

Cricket Spectator

I agree, Viv Richards is one of the scariest men I have ever seen, he looks intense in the interviews.

Particularly enjoyed the story of how the bowler would stare him down, he'd stare back, they would turn back to their mark and at the stumps would look back and Viv would still be staring "then they know I mean business", Viv Richards legend of the game.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah Viv was a real legend. I posted this earlier and it always makes me laugh when I go through it. This time it was Wasim Akram in the firing line lol

Sledging Richards backfired on me, Akram reveals
Can you guess what happened when Wasim Akram, the "Sultan of Swing" sledged "King" Viv Richards during a Test match?
By K.R.Nayar, Senior ReporterPublished: 22:58 January 20, 2009
Dubai: Can you guess what happened when Wasim Akram, the "Sultan of Swing" sledged "King" Viv Richards during a Test match?
Akram narrated the incident during the recent Shyam Bhatia awards for UAE's outstanding performers in domestic cricket.
"I was only nineteen when I played in the 1988 Barbados Test match during the tour of West Indies. It was in this Test match that I realised I've got the pace to disturb the batsmen," he said.
"When only 45 minutes were left to go for close of play, Richards came out to bat. My skipper Imran Khan gave me the ball and asked me to have a go.
"I bowled a bouncer at Richards and his cap fell while avoiding it. I went up to him and abused him. I was very skinny at that time and he looked at me and said: 'I will see [you] out man.'"
Akram immediately went to Imran Khan and related the incident.
"Imran told me to go ahead and scare &. him. So I bowled another bouncer and his cap fell again and so I went up to him and with a lot of action, provoked him.
"Richards looked at me and spat to the side with contempt. That was a time when there were no match referees nor close up television," he said.
Khan asked Akram to bowl the last over of the day.
"I bowled a bouncer again and then returned to the dressing room. While removing my shoes, the room attendant said that someone is waiting for me outside the dressing room.
"When I went out, I saw Richards in only his pad and no shirt and with a bat in hand. I ran to Imran and told him about it, but he quietly said: 'it is better you handle him.' I was shocked and so I went and told Richards very politely that I am sorry for what happened & and [that] it won't happen again.
"Richards looked at me and said: "If it happens next time, I will kill you.
"It never happened again," said Akram.

EnglishCricket

Cricket Spectator
yeah Viv was a real legend. I posted this earlier and it always makes me laugh when I go through it. This time it was Wasim Akram in the firing line lol

Sledging Richards backfired on me, Akram reveals
Can you guess what happened when Wasim Akram, the "Sultan of Swing" sledged "King" Viv Richards during a Test match?
By K.R.Nayar, Senior ReporterPublished: 22:58 January 20, 2009
Dubai: Can you guess what happened when Wasim Akram, the "Sultan of Swing" sledged "King" Viv Richards during a Test match?
Akram narrated the incident during the recent Shyam Bhatia awards for UAE's outstanding performers in domestic cricket.
"I was only nineteen when I played in the 1988 Barbados Test match during the tour of West Indies. It was in this Test match that I realised I've got the pace to disturb the batsmen," he said.
"When only 45 minutes were left to go for close of play, Richards came out to bat. My skipper Imran Khan gave me the ball and asked me to have a go.
"I bowled a bouncer at Richards and his cap fell while avoiding it. I went up to him and abused him. I was very skinny at that time and he looked at me and said: 'I will see [you] out man.'"
Akram immediately went to Imran Khan and related the incident.
"Imran told me to go ahead and scare &. him. So I bowled another bouncer and his cap fell again and so I went up to him and with a lot of action, provoked him.
"Richards looked at me and spat to the side with contempt. That was a time when there were no match referees nor close up television," he said.
Khan asked Akram to bowl the last over of the day.
"I bowled a bouncer again and then returned to the dressing room. While removing my shoes, the room attendant said that someone is waiting for me outside the dressing room.
"When I went out, I saw Richards in only his pad and no shirt and with a bat in hand. I ran to Imran and told him about it, but he quietly said: 'it is better you handle him.' I was shocked and so I went and told Richards very politely that I am sorry for what happened & and [that] it won't happen again.
"Richards looked at me and said: "If it happens next time, I will kill you.
"It never happened again," said Akram.
Legend but nutjob as well.

smash84

The Tiger King
lol.........he could intimidate bowlers as well.

Imran Khan was not the one to be easily cornered but he once told Ian Chappell that Viv Richards intimidated him :)........he had that aura about him

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
There is always a desire by former colonies to beat the former colonial masters. That's just human nature, and has less to do with the colour of one's skin than the movie implies....
Although certain parts of the media try to stir this up in this case it may be rather less true.

I was umpiring a match late last season and was discussing this film with my colleague - he had seen it, I had not - and some of the players.

One of the players had actually been coached as a youngster by Malcolm Marshall.

He said according to Marshall the West Indian side had no bad blood with the English team and nevr saw it as overcoming the colonial masters. They were fine with England.

The team they really hated, and went for at every oppprtunity was Australia because they would think nothing about giving out plenty of racist stuff (Marshal told this chap about one occassion when he was batting and it got so bad he turned to the slips and asked the person who made the last comment to own up - the person wisely didn't):whistling.

Apparently Geoff Lawson was highest on the dislike list.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes it's pretty well known that most of the WI side lived and played in England around that time and most of them were friends with a lot of the England players, so it was never personal between the two sides.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, but there's a big difference between it being "personal" and wanting to beat England just because it's England. The colonies-hitting-back point of view still holds in India and Australia and I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the case in the Windies as well.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yeah, but there's a big difference between it being "personal" and wanting to beat England just because it's England. The colonies-hitting-back point of view still holds in India and Australia and I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the case in the Windies as well.
Oh yes no doubt the WI wanted to get one over on England because of what it represented, I was talking more about that there was a feeling in the film that it was something personal between the 2 sides when it wasn't like that at all.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yes no doubt the WI wanted to get one over on England because of what it represented, I was talking more about that there was a feeling in the film that it was something personal between the 2 sides when it wasn't like that at all.
Only in 1976 of course. Thereafter it was as good-natured as it can be when one side is aiming to hospitalise the other.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Saw this a couple of weeks ago, was a great watch. Some of the stuff coming from the Australians, and the crowds in Australia, sounded abhorrent, am glad those days are closer to being behind us.