• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia Announce New Captain and Vice Captain

howardj

International Coach
Thought this deserved a thread of its own, as it's such a watershead in Australian cricket. Unlike other countries, we don't change captain lightly.

My tip for vice captain is Watson.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd choose Watson as well as VC but I thought Hads had the inside running on that job.

howardj

International Coach
I think they want Paine in the team soon, so I think that makes the deputy's role for Haddin unlikely.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
11am eh, press conference on tv hopefully....foxsports news here i come....Clarke captain of both, Watson vc of both i hope. Though im sure Haddin will probably get vc of both.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Clarke and watson it is! Official!
Watto gives awesome interviews when Australia are losing, which is an important skill for an Australian VC ATM. ;)

Nah, seriously though... Watto as vice captain, therefore likely to lead Australia at some point in time. Who'd have thought that a couple of years ago?!

Noble One

It is interesting that they selected Watson as Vice Captain. The VC role has traditionally been reserved as the grooming ground for the next captain. Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh, Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke all spent a significant amount of time as the understudy.

I find it highly unlikely that Watson will ever have a major spell as captain. Both Clarke and Watson are almost identical in age, and both have a poor history with injuries suggesting neither will last far into their mid 30’s. I guess the hope is someone can establish themselves in the Test squad who is under the age of 28 and show some real leadership material.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
Watto gives awesome interviews when Australia are losing, which is an important skill for an Australian VC ATM. ;)

Nah, seriously though... Watto as vice captain, therefore likely to lead Australia at some point in time. Who'd have thought that a couple of years ago?!
I'm not sure that Watson had alot of competition for the Test VC role. (who cares about ODIs for the next 3 years)

Who else in the side is a guaranteed selection based on non-captaincy performance, has the experience to lead the side if Clarke gets injured and has at least 3 years of decent cricket in them?

Haddin = too old (?), very ordinary gloveman. Paine/Wade will come into the side some time soon.
MHussey = too old (?).
Katich = too old, may never return.

You generally wouldn't give it to any of the fast bowlers - we don't have an Imran. Spin bowler maybe, if an astute cricketing brain like Warne/Vettori emerges who is a regular in the side, but it is still very much a departure lounge.

NFI why Smith is in the Test side at all with that dreadful technique and nude bowling.
White - leadership pedigree, but probably not going to make it as a Test batter. Miles away.
North - never to return (please!). He'd have to absolutely plunder Sheffield Shield to break his way back into the side.
Usman = newbie - ask again in a few years.
Hughes = tenure unsure.

Cupboard is pretty bare...

So Clarke/Watson is really the only option for mine - best of a bad bunch. Haddin/Hussey/Ponting can provide leadership support for a year or two until we get 20 Tests into some new guys.

Last edited:

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
It is interesting that they selected Watson as Vice Captain. The VC role has traditionally been reserved as the grooming ground for the next captain. Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh, Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke all spent a significant amount of time as the understudy.

I find it highly unlikely that Watson will ever have a major spell as captain. Both Clarke and Watson are almost identical in age, and both have a poor history with injuries suggesting neither will last far into their mid 30’s. I guess the hope is someone can establish themselves in the Test squad who is under the age of 28 and show some real leadership material.
I was thinking the very same thing Noble. But with that said we've also had Warne as VC (could have been an excellent captain had it not been a problem that he could not keep his paints zipped), and Gilchrist (just the wrong age but still won us a series in India)

I think they want to ensure that a senior player stands beside Clarke, especially in one or two years when Ponting finally puts that bats away.

I personally would not be surprised if the Vice Captaincy goes to the likes of Cosgrove, Paine, Ferguson or Smith in 12 to 24 months time. Surely the selectors are looking towards a future leadership team and are thus starting to give the 'pups' a chance to prove themselves.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
No way will Cosgrove get picked let alone become vice-captain imo.
He will get picked once Ponting, Katich and Michael Hussey retire no doubt. His shield states for the season are the best in the country barring internationals. He will at least make a squad at some point in the next year or so. Just needs to lose 10kgs and he will make the eleven on skill.

Someone like Lynn should be looked at as well. To talented to leave in first class for years before he gets picked.

Last edited:

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
He will get picked once Ponting, Katich and Michael Hussey retire no doubt. His shield states for the season are the best in the country barring internationals. He will at least make a squad at some point in the next year or so. Just needs to lose 10kgs and he will make the eleven on skill.

Someone like Lynn should be looked at as well. To talented to leave in first class for years before he gets picked.
If Cosgrove can lose 20kg in the next 12 months the selectors will automatically line him up as Australia's captain after Clarke. Their reasoning being that if he can do that he can do anything.:laugh:

robelinda

He didnt do too bad last time he played for Australia, nothing wrong with his form back then.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think the rationale behind Watson is that because there basically is no one at all in and around the Test lineup of that <24yo bracket which you would say is the next age group for the captaincy, they see it as more important to get a solid, stable long term leadership group to stabilize and grow the team around and then see who comes up from the currently bare leadership stocks amongst the young. On this particular point I cannot fault the thinking of the selectors/CA. I mean the fact that Tim Paine with a grand total of one FC ton is being talked about speaks volumes.

I mean the difference between Ponting, Clarke and the current lot is that they were identified from an extremely young age - before they'd even hit the Shield ranks almost - as future Test stars. I don't hear that happening ATM.

Anyway, on a side note I don't think I've ever seen Clarke more confident in front of the media than today. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
On Watson, it is really quite extraordinary how much he's turned his career around ever since getting that call in the middle of the 09 Ashes. Before then he was seen as a glass cannon, made of china, weak and brittle, etc. No one rated him at all, and now VC and the side's most dependable player by a huge margin. Good on him. Good to see him acknowledge his conversion rate as an issue in such an occasion too.

Last edited: