Cricket Player Manager
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Australia Announce New Captain and Vice Captain

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    As a completely off topic and trivial sidelight, when Border was captain of Australia, he had a whole heap of VCs, every one of whom was dropped at some point in time:

Andrew Hilditch
    David Boon
    Geoff Marsh
    Mark Taylor

All served as VC under Border, and all were dropped while VC.

Yes yes, matters of interest etc,
    Dont recall Taylor being dropped, remember him missing the 94 Joburg test because of injury, is there another match he was actually dropped for?
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    ....ah no he hasn't? PEWS will confirm, but i'm pretty sure all the games Watson has played for NSW (2 iirc) have been in matches either Haddin, Katich, Clarke or (stuart) Clark have played in. so.
    Clarke has never captained NSW. Those two matches were both captained by Clark.

Hilditch did explicitly say that part of the reason for the appointment is that Watson has no domestic leadership experience and is now highly unlikely to get any.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Dont recall Taylor being dropped, remember him missing the 94 Joburg test because of injury, is there another match he was actually dropped for?
    Was dropped for the '93 Test in Perth against the WI, the one where the selectors shoe-horned Langer into the opening spot.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Clarke has never captained NSW. Those two matches were both captained by Clark.

Hilditch did explicitly say that part of the reason for the appointment is that Watson has no domestic leadership experience and is now highly unlikely to get any.
    Ok, so that's the two of them with no first class experience.

It probably won't make any difference though. After years of skippering, Punter was still very ordinary at helping his spin bowlers.

It's amazing though, when I think about how poor Clarke was during the Ashes, that he's somehow come out of it with these rewards.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSawnoff View Post
    It's amazing though, when I think about how poor Clarke was during the Ashes, that he's somehow come out of it with these rewards.
    I know, it's not like Clarke has been vice captain for a couple of years or had 3.5 years of superlative form behind him or anything.
    ​63*

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    I know, it's not like Clarke has been vice captain for a couple of years or had 3.5 years of superlative form behind him or anything.
    I understand why they've done it, there are no other options and he may be a pretty good skipper, he's got more feel for it than Punter, but even so, he's been in poor form for about 10 months. Even in the WC, he ended up with a great average by performing against the minnows.

I hope he drops himself to 5, he'll have to take the pressure off himself by scoring runs and he hasn't so far at 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Well how do you know? Surely those that are playing with him or who are involved in the setup will know whether he is leadership material or not.
    I guess you would have seen the way he carries himself on the field, now that sort of behaviour doesn't exactly say he is leadership material.

I love Watto as a player but he can be an absolute tool in the field at times, on top of that if I'm not wrong he has no experience of captaincy whatsoever at any level.

So as I said before I would have been much more comfortable with the idea of having a guy like Haddin as the VC.

Also I don't get this Clarke was batting better at #5 so push him back there thing, Clarke now is the second most experienced batsman in the test side and now he is also the captain so its his job to stabilize the shaky top-order rather than asking some green-horns to do that.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information