• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia Announce New Captain and Vice Captain

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I can't remember that far back TBH :laugh: but it looks very similar - I don't really pay attention to bowling actions that closely to comment. However, he is bowling some 10-20 kph less these days. Would regularly get in the 140s IIRC. Could bowl more overs too.
I distinctly remember attending one of the ****ty Super Series ODI matches in Melbourne and being shocked at seeing Watson hit 142-144 km/h. He had natural speed. Unfortunately it put a strain on his body of course.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
I like your little essay there, Western Warrior.

It's a big thing to publish, and have your work exposed to the public at large.

My review is very thorough too, and importantly contains recommendations.
Thank you, I was under the impression that mine did too. :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I distinctly remember attending one of the ****ty Super Series ODI matches in Melbourne and being shocked at seeing Watson hit 142-144 km/h. He had natural speed. Unfortunately it put a strain on his body of course.
That's actually a pace drop from his early days. Was at an academy game around '00 when they were playing against an Tasmanian XI at Park 25. Speedgun on the fence had him at high 140's a few times an over. Then, of course, he got injured again. is early days, he was very pacy.

Was a weird game, Ricardo Powell was playing for the academy side.

pup11

International Coach
Watto is without doubt the best player in the Australian side atm but that doesn't mean he then automatically becomes good enough to be a part of the leadership group as well.

When you pick guys for a leadership role its very important to see whether they have some leadership qualities in them, and certainly it seems someone like Watto has just been made the vice-captain because he has been having a great time as a player and that's not a great way of picking guys for leadership roles.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well how do you know? Surely those that are playing with him or who are involved in the setup will know whether he is leadership material or not.

Spikey

yeah you guys are being pretty harsh towards shane "I'll refer it" watson. shame on you

Spikey

damn. i just went away for 5 minutes a few minutes ago, if you know what i mean. what a guy.

Burgey

It is interesting that they selected Watson as Vice Captain. The VC role has traditionally been reserved as the grooming ground for the next captain. Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh, Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke all spent a significant amount of time as the understudy.

I find it highly unlikely that Watson will ever have a major spell as captain. Both Clarke and Watson are almost identical in age, and both have a poor history with injuries suggesting neither will last far into their mid 30’s. I guess the hope is someone can establish themselves in the Test squad who is under the age of 28 and show some real leadership material.
As a completely off topic and trivial sidelight, when Border was captain of Australia, he had a whole heap of VCs, every one of whom was dropped at some point in time:

Andrew Hilditch
David Boon
Geoff Marsh
Mark Taylor

All served as VC under Border, and all were dropped while VC.

Yes yes, matters of interest etc,

Spikey

There is so little choice. He's skippered NSW so he must have some idea what to do.
....ah no he hasn't? PEWS will confirm, but i'm pretty sure all the games Watson has played for NSW (2 iirc) have been in matches either Haddin, Katich, Clarke or (stuart) Clark have played in. so.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
As a completely off topic and trivial sidelight, when Border was captain of Australia, he had a whole heap of VCs, every one of whom was dropped at some point in time:

Andrew Hilditch
David Boon
Geoff Marsh
Mark Taylor

All served as VC under Border, and all were dropped while VC.

Yes yes, matters of interest etc,
Dont recall Taylor being dropped, remember him missing the 94 Joburg test because of injury, is there another match he was actually dropped for?

Spark

Global Moderator
....ah no he hasn't? PEWS will confirm, but i'm pretty sure all the games Watson has played for NSW (2 iirc) have been in matches either Haddin, Katich, Clarke or (stuart) Clark have played in. so.
Clarke has never captained NSW. Those two matches were both captained by Clark.

Hilditch did explicitly say that part of the reason for the appointment is that Watson has no domestic leadership experience and is now highly unlikely to get any.

Top_Cat

Dont recall Taylor being dropped, remember him missing the 94 Joburg test because of injury, is there another match he was actually dropped for?
Was dropped for the '93 Test in Perth against the WI, the one where the selectors shoe-horned Langer into the opening spot.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Clarke has never captained NSW. Those two matches were both captained by Clark.

Hilditch did explicitly say that part of the reason for the appointment is that Watson has no domestic leadership experience and is now highly unlikely to get any.
Ok, so that's the two of them with no first class experience.

It probably won't make any difference though. After years of skippering, Punter was still very ordinary at helping his spin bowlers.

It's amazing though, when I think about how poor Clarke was during the Ashes, that he's somehow come out of it with these rewards.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's amazing though, when I think about how poor Clarke was during the Ashes, that he's somehow come out of it with these rewards.
I know, it's not like Clarke has been vice captain for a couple of years or had 3.5 years of superlative form behind him or anything.