Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Australia Announce New Captain and Vice Captain

howardj may just have been scooped.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

School Boy/Girl Captain Western Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    howardj may just have been scooped.
    I will again admit that this was written from the heart and not the head. That some of it may be simply too far fetched, too cumbersome or simply too full of ^$&@. Still I think the team at least has some potential.
    "Cricket needs brightening up a bit. My solution is to let players drink at the beginning of the game, not after. It always works in our picnic matches." - Paul Hogan

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Liked the read, thanks WW.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

Quote Originally Posted by Western Warrior View Post
    I will again admit that this was written from the heart and not the head. That some of it may be simply too far fetched, too cumbersome or simply too full of ^$&@. Still I think the team at least has some potential.
    Was more a sly dig at howardj than you, apologies if it came across that way. Good read.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    I don't know WW. I mean yes, things need to be looked at but there is obviously a good system in place for young players coming up to domestic cricket. There will always be those parasite-like old players(much like Gareth Hopkins here in NZ....ew)who stay mainly because they have no other qualifications and need to maintain their selves financially or just love the game. I guess cricket is a profession and the best should be playing. So i don't particularly have a problem with that. Most respectable guys step away when holding young talent back.

Anyway, to be honest when i look at some of the young players over there. I would arguably say Australia has the most talent coming through. Players like Khuwaja who are comparable to someone like Kane Williamson in talent. Then on top of that players like Hughes, Lynn, Faulkener, Maddinson, Starc, Copeland, Cosgrove and that kid that was bowling 150k at like 17 years of age in the 20/20 competition (someone tell me his name). Even Smith is a baby but still really talented though people don't want to admit it. Class will return to Australia!

Good read btw!
    Last edited by Mike5181; 30-03-2011 at 04:41 AM.

Pat Cummins is his name.

In the years to come you won't be forgetting it.

Pat Cummins is his name.

In the years to come you won't be forgetting it.
    Haha yeah thats it! Well, Adam Milne is a name you won't forget either. Should be interesting to see both their developments in the next few years.

On Watson, it is really quite extraordinary how much he's turned his career around ever since getting that call in the middle of the 09 Ashes. Before then he was seen as a glass cannon, made of china, weak and brittle, etc. No one rated him at all, and now VC and the side's most dependable player by a huge margin. Good on him. Good to see him acknowledge his conversion rate as an issue in such an occasion too.
    gagfc
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Was watching Clarke's media conference and frankly speaking he made a lot of right noises.

Though its just a harsh reality that Australian fans around the world haven't really warmed up to the idea of him leading Australia and he therefore needs to improve as a player and also win over the skeptics with his leadership.

People are saying Watto for vc is a good choice but I couldn't disagree with that anymore, he already has the burden of opening the batting and then bowling and last thing he needs is to also be involved in management and leadership side of things.

The smart thing would have been to give it to Haddin who has arguably been one of our most consistent test players and after his departure we could have made one of the younger blokes the vice-captain.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    gagfc
    Yes, yes, there's always one.

He probably won't be asked to do a huge amount as vice captain especially with players like Ponting and Hussey still around for Clarke to turn to. If Clarke gets injured and he is captain that will be interesting though.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    I wonder how much Haddin really gets on with Clarke, and he has seemed a bit agitated with things in the media recently. With Watto, I reckon Clarke can be certain that Watto's 100% behind him.

Also, I reckon Watto is actually quite smart tactically. Certainly with bowling, he has recently come on when the front line bowlers were going all over the place and shown them where and how to bowl, which they've then copied and got wickets.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    I can see the merit in giving Watson the VC job, given he's our best player and there was no real alternative. But he has never at any stage struck me as the leadership type. Tactically and technically I'm sure he's pretty good, but his character and the sort of mentality he often displays under pressure...Look at his repeated blow ups once he hit that mental roadblock in the nervous 90's last summer...and the ugly incident with Chris Gayle in Perth.

He's too snipey and he too often wears his heart on his sleeve. Just not leadership material imo, and this is coming from a long time Watson fan. He's never been earmarked as a leader at any level previously, and he's also too valuable as a player to risk burdening him with leadership and potentially compromising his performance.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yes, yes, there's always one.
    Watto was aways highly rated on this forum tbf. I was surprised to learn it wasn't the general Australian consensus.

That being said, there was outcry IIRC at him replacing Phil Hughes at Edgbaston, from both Aussies and Richard.

If I know Richard though, I imagine he would still class it as an error/poor selectorial decision
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Most Australian's who are actually learned on the game have always rated Watson as a player. It should be distinguished from the people who doubted he could have a good career due to injuries though.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information