Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Impact - Assessing the Great Batting Performances

Cricket Web Staff Member

High Impact - Assessing the Great Batting Performances

Cricket Web - Features: High Impact - Assessing the Great Batting Performances

In this feature, Dave takes a look at the best of those innings which spearheaded a successful run chase.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Great stuff, thanks. A notable player not in there is Tendulkar. What is the highest one of his knocks came?

Also, I wonder if there is a way of doing this for bowlers - their contribution with regards to the difficulty of their team winning.
    Last edited by Ikki; 29-03-2011 at 01:36 PM.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Great stuff, thanks. A notable player not in there is Tendulkar. What is the highest one of his knocks came?

Also, I wonder if there is a way of doing this for bowlers - their contribution with regards to the difficulty of their team winning.
    Thanks Ikki. Tendulkar's highest rated innings by this measure was his 103*. I'm already working on the bowlers equivalent, should be up in a week or so.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    No Sachin again- its the Wisden top 100 all over again!!!!!
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    wow......great work.......didn't see it in detail in terms of methodology but a pleasant surprise to see Shakib Al Hasan up there in the top 10
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Fascinating stuff Dave - top 5 probably just about right I suppose - will always have Butcher's as a personal favourite but I suppose that goes with the territory!

Interesting about the 30's - I blame Bradman - killed off most Tests with his first visit to the crease

vcs
    Posted by J_C in the comments section..

Good analysis. Interestingly Yuvraj makes the list for his 85* even though Sehwag (87) and Tendulkar (103*) don't make the cut. Hmmm....

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Posted by J_C in the comments section..

Quote:
    Good analysis. Interestingly Yuvraj makes the list for his 85* even though Sehwag (87) and Tendulkar (103*) don't make the cut. Hmmm....
    It's all to do with the win probability at the time each batsman came in compared to when he was out or when the game was won - at 163 still to get with six wickets left, India still only had about a one in eight win probability, so Yuvraj gets a higher share than Tendulkar, who came in at 246 to get with eight wickets remaining (about 32.2% share for Tendy). Sehwag's 83 only improved the win probability by about 20% and Sehwag gets around 14% of that.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    No Sachin again- its the Wisden top 100 all over again!!!!!
    Sachin's omission from the Wisden list is of far greater significance in my opinion - my analysis looks only at individual innings in successful fourth-innings run chases, whereas the Wisden list considered ALL innings.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Fascinating stuff Dave - top 5 probably just about right I suppose - will always have Butcher's as a personal favourite but I suppose that goes with the territory!

Interesting about the 30's - I blame Bradman - killed off most Tests with his first visit to the crease
    Which is of course why he doesn't figure much in this analysis - his Aussie teams didn't figure in many run chases.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by chasingthedon View Post
    It's all to do with the win probability at the time each batsman came in compared to when he was out or when the game was won - at 163 still to get with six wickets left, India still only had about a one in eight win probability, so Yuvraj gets a higher share than Tendulkar, who came in at 246 to get with eight wickets remaining (about 32.2% share for Tendy). Sehwag's 83 only improved the win probability by about 20% and Sehwag gets around 14% of that.
    OK.. thanks for explaining your methodology.

State 12th Man
    pretty flawed to say the least ... there's no way that yuvraj's 85 was in any way close to sehwag's or sachin's knocks , let alone better than both of them ....

where's Mark waugh's 116(?) vs SA btw ?

State Vice-Captain
    the singh innings of 80 odd that ranks ahead of the 103 of tendulkar's (in the same innings) surely gives the lie to this analysis.
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

(massive apologies to barnes)

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Or maybe it actually shows that the SRT innings was over-rated as even with it, they were still behind the game and needed another innings to get them there?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

State 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Or maybe it actually shows that the SRT innings was over-rated as even with it, they were still behind the game and needed another innings to get them there?
    huh ? use some logic will you ? so sehwag's innings was also over-rated as even with it 2 other 50s and a hundred was required ?

its insane in how many places people just can't use plain common sense ; common sense is not so common after all !
    Last edited by abmk; 31-03-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information