Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cricket can never have many teams

Banned

Cricket can never have many teams

Cricket is a sport that can never have many teams, especially playing test matches, imagine even if we have 15 test playing nations, the schedules will be so hectic, travelling around and there will be no space to accomodate the matches in a year.

I think only 20/20 version can have many teams, because it only lasts couple of hours

accomodating 15 test nations would be a challenge, but if there is will there is a way. If proper league table existed something similar to the current super rugby comp it could be possible.

but i think 20/20 will be the version that will eventaully dominate, on a global scale.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    15 teams would be fine you just wouldn't play teams very often. Will make each occassion more special.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Yep. Obviously there'd be no way they could all play eachother all the time, there'd have to be some sort of divisional Test cricket. Which again would make every Test series more important.
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    The problem I have with this sort of argument is that it presupposes it's a necessity for every team to play every other team within a given timescale. It's just not.

The gradual reintroduction of Zimbabwe by them playing one-off tests against NZ, the Windies and Bangladesh brings a much welcomed dose of common sense to proceedings.

By all means give the likes of Ireland (I say "the likes of Ireland", but currently only really mean "Ireland") test status, but don't pitch them straight into the FTP. It hasn't done Bangladesh any good (number of wins against test strength sides still 0) so it'd be madness to repeat the mistake. Sides touring England could pop over for a test in Dublin whilst they were here and when results dictated Ireland could play more.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Yep. Obviously there'd be no way they could all play eachother all the time, there'd have to be some sort of divisional Test cricket. Which again would make every Test series more important.
    The problem with divisional Test cricket is that the 2nd division, by its very existence, would not be Test cricket. Test cricket is the top level of international FC cricket.
    Last edited by Goughy; 27-03-2011 at 04:19 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    The problem with divisional Test cricket is that the 2nd division, by its very existence would not be Test cricket. Test cricket is the top level of international FC cricket.
    And just imagine the chaos it would cause in stat wars here in cricket chat
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I actually think the current number which is 9 is actually just about right to have a healthy test circuit, instead of trying to push cricket in places like Vietnam or Ghana its better if ICC puts its energy in making sure that the heath of the game remains strong in the weaker and smaller test playing nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    The problem with divisional Test cricket is that the 2nd division, by its very existence would not be Test cricket. Test cricket is the top level of international FC cricket.
    Except it's already like that. New Zealand vs the West Indies or something just isn't going to be regarded as the top level because neither side is among the best in the world. So often we hear about a group of teams being on "a level above" the others. The only difference is that it's not literal. Divisional Tests would stop token two-test series and give every team something to aim at.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    And just imagine the chaos it would cause in stat wars here in cricket chat
    Quite. This is something we have to protect.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Except it's already like that. New Zealand vs the West Indies or something just isn't going to be regarded as the top level because neither side is among the best in the world. So often we hear about a group of teams being on "a level above" the others. The only difference is that it's not literal. Divisional Tests would stop token two-test series and give every team something to aim at.
    That's equally a good argument against divisional tests though. We know some test nations are weaker than others so why is there a need to sanctify a streaming of them? The only argument in its favour are those of the "Won't someone please think of the stats?!" varieties.

To use an almost analogous situation from another sport, look at the all-time leading try scorer in test rugby union. It's not, as one might've thought David Campese, Rory Underwood or Bryan Habana, but rather Daisuke Ohata of Japan. No one seriously thinks he's in the same league as any of them as a player and most of his scores have come against lesser nations, but, as with cricket, the only possible reason to deny Japan test status would be a stats-preserving one.

Remove the FTP and apply common sense and we're good.

I agree, Brumby. I like mucking around with stats but I've never taken them that seriously.

I just like the idea of divisions because then there's more prizes on offer. When I talk about divisional cricket I don't mean New Zealand should be cut off from playing Sri Lanka or England because obviously there's not much difference there - just some form of defined competition between teams on a similar level.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 27-03-2011 at 05:01 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    My beef with Divisional Test Cricket is there is no way in hell the big four would have the grace to be relegated without a hissyfit, especially if two or more of India, Australia, England and South Africa were relegated.

They'd remove the divisions if that happened, or give dispensation citing the Ashes an a previous example (because eventually Australia and England would be in different divisions).

The only way divisional tests will happen is financially, in that certain boards buy their way in and slam the door closed on everyone else.

Oh wait, that's already happening...Ah well, divisions gives them an excuse to legislate it eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    My beef with Divisional Test Cricket is there is no way in hell the big four would have the grace to be relegated without a hissyfit, especially if two or more of India, Australia, England and South Africa were relegated.

They'd remove the divisions if that happened, or give dispensation citing the Ashes an a previous example (because eventually Australia and England would be in different divisions).

The only way divisional tests will happen is financially, in that certain boards buy their way in and slam the door closed on everyone else.

Oh wait, that's already happening...Ah well, divisions gives them an excuse to legislate it eh?
    Fair points, well made.

Although the test rankings were unofficial back then, after NZ defeated us at home in 1999 England were rated 9 out of 9, below Zimbabwe, even.

Whichever way it was chopped England were a 2nd division team back then.

U19 Captain
    The Test should be ruled out of FTP. The countries should be playing Tests against nations they want. It should be lead by market dynamics. If Aus are happy to play regularly against Eng, Ind, SA or Pak and not against Ire, Scot, Afg, Neth, Can, Ken (Assuming these nations were promoted as Test Nations ) or Bd, Zim then let it be like that way.

The FTP for ODI however should be fixed. Every nation over a period of time should play other nations. On these tours like if Aus is willing then it can play 1, 2 test against NZ or WI is sole discretion of Aus.

This would ensure the lesser teams still keep getting exposure against the big teams but we do not destroy the sanctity of Test with AUs marauding BD for a test that serves little interest.

Also the lesser teams will play test against teams of similar capability and over time if they are improving the other will automatically invite them. Eg if Ire get an clear dominance against the lower teams then they surely will get more invites from NZ or WI and further from Ind, Pak, SA or Aus

However playing a min no of tests should be mandated for all teams (Say 13 Test in a year)

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jashan83 View Post
    The Test should be ruled out of FTP. The countries should be playing Tests against nations they want. It should be lead by market dynamics.
    This is an absolutely horrific idea.

You're supposedly a minnow champion, and this is a good way to kill the minnows and several test nations off for good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information