• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket can never have many teams

juro

U19 12th Man
I went with 4 teams per division so we could move to the next series more often. Having it every 2 years instead of 3 would allow improving teams to move up more quickly (and vice versa). It would also make the results of every game more important.

One problem of the small divisions is that you may only face 4 other nations if there isn't a lot of movement between divisions, which may get a bit boring. How many times can you watch India vs Sri Lanka?

I agree on the points structure. Teams need to be encouraged to go for the win.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I]
Now, having 9 tests per year still leaves time for other matches to be played.
That's 162 Tests per 4-year period (counting the current 9 teams)

Coincidentally, between the two World Cups, the 9 Test nations have played...*drum roll*...161 Tests.

So while I think the basic idea is sound, I think you're going to have to cut down the 'compulsory' workload a little in order to fit in other series.

juro

U19 12th Man
Just having checked statsguru on cricinfo, looking at the number of tests from 2007 to 2011, there is a pretty clear divide between the haves and the have-nots. Aus, SA, Eng, Ind played 41 or more (Eng = 51), the rest only played a maximum of 31 (Bang = 24). So that is anywhere from 6 per year up to 12.75. For some reason I thought the overall average would be more like 12 per year...

slugger

State Vice-Captain
it seems the way to go is to have a divisional type format, but no matter how we try to cut it, it seems like the ashes must be accomadated at any cost. thus the concept or format is always so much harder to approve. it would have to be written that if australia or england slipped into different divisions then the ashes is put on hold until the they both once again in the same division.

Mike5181

International Captain
Test cricket is a joke for all but the powerful nations in cricket like Australia, England, South Africa. For an example New Zealand's next scheduled test match is like October/November against Zimbabwe. You ****ing serious.

jashan83

U19 Captain
it seems the way to go is to have a divisional type format, but no matter how we try to cut it, it seems like the ashes must be accomadated at any cost. thus the concept or format is always so much harder to approve. it would have to be written that if australia or england slipped into different divisions then the ashes is put on hold until the they both once again in the same division.
Playing outside the division can be allowed provided both teams fulfill their divisional requirement. And if one falls into other div it would be a very dull, one sided Ashes

Mike5181

International Captain
And what about every other year? A few years ago almost a full year past without us playing tests. Last year we played 6 compared to India's what? 14? That is the case for West Indies, Bangladesh and god knows what will happen when Zimbabwe start playing tests again. 2 tests a year? When teams are playing more than double the amount of other so called 'test status' nations it becomes farcical. All you have to do is compare two players (say from NZ and India) who are consistent starters and debuted in the same year and you will see what i mean.

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
why do small nations get blamed for the demise of test cricket. Just imagine if the All Blacks decided not to travel to australia and UK throughout time because the teams then werent good enough, and gee some of them still struggle to to get a win against them scotland and wales record is very poor, what if the all blacks said to hell with it why even bother. but this is exactly how the big 4 test nations treat the remainder of the group.