• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan Thread

zohaib

Cricket Spectator
*OFFICIAL*South Africa in Pakistan Thread

So finally the Proteas are here lets hope all the things that have happened in the past few days are forgotten and cricket takes over .Greame Smith has gone on record to say that he is afraid of bombs not the pakistanis so the south african captain has already started some tension between the two teams .I feel this will be the first big test of this young Pakistani team after the world cup lets see how things goes.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
Let me just use my forum name as a good reason to why i can see very little chance for pakistan to succeed. Infact, Kirsten has been very successful against the subcontinental side and will probably continue. And the young pakistani batsmen will have a big task against Pollock and Ntini and co.

zohaib

Cricket Spectator
I agree with u but watch out for Gul n Shabbir they are not ur regular Pakistani fast bowlers who runs in fast and bowl lethal inswingers with the old ball .Gul i feel will be one of the best fast bowlers in next 2 years if not the best he has goodish pace gets to lift the ball swings and seams both ways and also has a good yorker to round it off all he needs is some xperience as for Shabbir he is in Courtnay Walsh mode bowls long tight spells i feel Gul n Shabbir will pose more problems then Sami or Shoaib.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
Yes, i have been impressed by both the pacemen but by labeling him the next big thing is going a bit too far. They both have talent but need to work hard and be a lot more consistent, otherwise how did Bangladesh put up such a good fight if it wasnt for the lack of consistency from the pakistani bowlers. But what need most of all is experience...

Legglancer

State Regular
What a great game of cricket. It had me glued to crickinfo ..... Wish I watched it on satelite. ( I am definitely watching the game on sunday)

Great bowling by Shoaib !!! and good batting by Dippanear .... left a little too much for the last.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Is that right Gibbs didn't play?

Also, a big well done and congratulations to Mushy for getting his place back!

Yousuf_Youhana

U19 12th Man
yeah congrats to mushy! only it was his bowling that got pakistan in trouble!! he got smacked for 16 in the 43rd over which put SA back in the game..

these were his figures

10-0-65-0 6.50

Gr8 return eh!?

thank the 2 shoaib for saving pak! Malik blasted 42 from the last 2 overs..and bowled great off breaks

akhtar struck taking the first 2 wickets then bowled well at the end..

overall...good tight match...if Hall had batted SA wud've had more of a chance

Craig

World Traveller
And congrats to Hendrik Dippenaar for getting his first ODI century. About time to.

zohaib

Cricket Spectator
A really good game of cricket i feel Proteas lost the game in the middle overs of their innings whent they let the spinners bowl tightly playing mushy was a mistake really taking 103 wickets against mediocre english county batsmen dosent earn u a place in an international side i think mushy should be dropped fr the rest of the series and Saqi or Gul should take his place.overall good professional performance from pakistan and they deserved their win.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
zohaib said:
A really good game of cricket i feel Proteas lost the game in the middle overs of their innings whent they let the spinners bowl tightly playing mushy was a mistake really taking 103 wickets against mediocre english county batsmen dosent earn u a place in an international side i think mushy should be dropped fr the rest of the series and Saqi or Gul should take his place.overall good professional performance from pakistan and they deserved their win.
"Mediocre English Batsmen"

Hmmmm, well since a good load of county players last season were EU-qualified South Africans or Australians as well as the 2 overseas players (which I see the PBCA is trying to get rid of, good for them), I don't think you can use that arguement. He bowled superbly this year, anyway he hasn't played International cricket for a while, let him get back into it...

Yousuf_Youhana

U19 12th Man
to Me Mushtaq is a test bowler really...

Saqlain shud've taken his place..but then again 2 off spinners is enough.. (Malik + Hafeez)...Razzaq should be dropped for Mahmood..and Mushtaq for either gul or saqlain.....

SA will comeback though..

zohaib

Cricket Spectator
Apart from a very good period Mushy had between 95-97 in which he took around 90 wickets in 13 -14 test matches he has always been inconsistent hes always had a good first class record but somehow has struggeled against top quality international batsmen his friendship wuth Inzy Latif and Aamir Sohil is probably the main reason he has made a comeback he should be dropped immediatly and never be played again.
On a side note i would like to say that i tend to disagree with those people who think that the current Pakistan team is worse then the team that played the World cup.Sure the players like Saeed Wasim and Waqar were trully world class performers but these guys had lost something which is probably the strongest point of some the players like Sami Shoaib Malik Hafeez and Yasir Hameed and that thing is the passion of performing for ur country especially Malik and Hafeez they are players with mediocre talent but the passion and competitivness that they have shown has trully been remarkable.

Andre

International Regular
I must admit my dissapointment at the South African performance, and as pointed out, Dippenaar's ton was overdue.

From what I have read, however, Mushie had Dippenaar and Neil McKenzie doing cartwheels at an important operiod of the game.

Bring back Azhar Mahmood IMO. Razzaq looks unfit, and his performances during and since the World Cup have been well below par of an international cricketer.

Shoaib Malik - 84* off 42 - not a bad innings, eh? :)

Yousuf_Youhana

U19 12th Man
Andre said:
I must admit my dissapointment at the South African performance, and as pointed out, Dippenaar's ton was overdue.

From what I have read, however, Mushie had Dippenaar and Neil McKenzie doing cartwheels at an important operiod of the game.

Bring back Azhar Mahmood IMO. Razzaq looks unfit, and his performances during and since the World Cup have been well below par of an international cricketer.

Shoaib Malik - 84* off 42 - not a bad innings, eh? :)
Absolutely agree with you about Razzaq..however it was him who saved Pakistan's butt in the final match of the natwest challenge..sloggin that half century in a partnership with mahmood....if Mahmood and Razzaq are together..they can be a real hard strike force..and without razzaq it wud be Mahmood and Malik...or Inzamam...this should be the line up for Pak

Hafeez
Hameed
Youhana
Younis Khan
Inzamam
Malik
Mahmood
Latif
Akhtar
Sami
Saqlain - well pak need a top class spinner eh?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm not sure Latif will have too much more of a future - Kamran Akmal will probably be number one before too long (passports permitting, of course...)

Looks like Pakistan are starting to regain some form, A good late 9-an-over slog got them to 267 in the second ODI and Smith has fallen early in the reply.

Peterson 0/21 [3], Dawson 0/45 [8] and Hall 0/52 [9] not impressive but Ntini took 4/46.

Yousuf_Youhana

U19 12th Man
Well SA are struggling..5 wickets down and a required rate of 6 and over....Sami got 2 run outs with direct hits..and Hafeez got rid of Dipenaar when he's shot was an inside edge on the stumps...

Sami also god rid of G.Smith earlier on.

2-0 to PAK..HOPEFULLY!!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It seems South Africa are having the same problems NZ had when they toured last year.

Pakistan seem to rise for these types of matches & once they do get a roll on its unlikely you'll win very many games on the tour.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Without Bojé, SA have no quality spinner which worries me..

IMO they have had a very poor year by their standards and its getting worse, they certainly dont deserve to be challenging Australia for the number one spot... I dont know if its home advantage, but I would like to think SA would be beating Pakistan...

:(