• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
If the batsmen hadn't played poor strokes he wouldn't have had the opportunity to have catches dropped. And given that he deserves no credit for a poor stroke...
What if he's bowled extremely tightly and frustrated the batsman until he has a go and gets out?

That's good bowling!

Think back to India 2001 when SRT was stumped for the first time ever - that was all due to the balls before the wicket.

zohaib

Cricket Spectator
QUOTE]Did Sami have Gibbs dropped off a good delivery? If not, he wasn't unlucky to have it dropped.[/QUOTE]
He bowled a beautiful outswinger and gibbs edges it and moind drops a regulation catch next ball a beauty inswinger gibbs leaves it the ball touches the off stump and the bails dont come off so yes u can say they were preety decent deliveries in adition u add all the close L.B.W shouts he had throughout the match.
As for the match itself all i can say is Pakistan could have beaten anyone the way they played on the fourth day they were nothing short of sensational

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Amazing that a team who could easily have lost the series against Bangladesh (not just a test) can comprehensively beat South Africa.

That's why this game is wonderful.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Well done Pakistan! The youngsters are slowly coming into their own and looks like Pakistani cricket is peaking again...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What's all this nonsense about bad shots being deserved due to "frustration"?
A good batsman who has faced a good accurate spell of bowling and gets a poor delivery won't get out to it, he'll hit it for four.
It is a poor batsman indeed who lets a slow scoring-rate bother him in a First-Class match. In a one-day game, obviously, but accuracy and then deliberate poor balls aren't good bowling in FC-cricket. If you've been bowling tightly you don't just offer the batsman a chance to break the shackles; you keep keeping it tight!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
What's all this nonsense about bad shots being deserved due to "frustration"?
A good batsman who has faced a good accurate spell of bowling and gets a poor delivery won't get out to it, he'll hit it for four.
It is a poor batsman indeed who lets a slow scoring-rate bother him in a First-Class match. In a one-day game, obviously, but accuracy and then deliberate poor balls aren't good bowling in FC-cricket. If you've been bowling tightly you don't just offer the batsman a chance to break the shackles; you keep keeping it tight!
We don't live in a perfect world. Whether you like or not, frustration and luck are a very real part of the game and that won't change.... human nature. We have come to terms with that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
We don't live in a perfect world. Whether you like or not, frustration and luck are a very real part of the game and that won't change.... human nature. We have come to terms with that.
I have come to terms with it - perhaps better than some. I notice and constantly acknowledge it's presence, rather than pretending it's "just another factor".

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
What are you on - if a bowler bowls a really tight spell of bowling and frustrates the batsman, then one ball is slightly off key and the batsman smashes the ball to a fielder - that is good bowling, and the bowler deserves the wicket.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bouncer said:
What do u guys think about Ban on shoaib akhter....
Do u realy think he deserved that...?
Anything thrown at Shoaib (words chosen with little thought of any consequences:D ) is fair game as far as I'm concerned. He gives Devil Ducky most of his material (apart from Inzy, Shane, Corky, Rikki, Harmison, Brad Cheaty-Hodge etc etc etc).

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bouncer said:
What do u guys think about Ban on shoaib akhter....
Do u realy think he deserved that...?

I didnt see it so I cant really comment, but the guy is obviously an arrogant so and so, so maybe he deserves what gets thrown at him?

Graham Smith and his SA side have to learn not to have their hissyfits though.. Just because someone says something "naughty", doesnt mean they should lose their heads and join in... He might be an inspirational young captain, but there appears to be nobody to calm the guys down, which is often the best thing, and something Hansie was very good at...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
What are you on - if a bowler bowls a really tight spell of bowling and frustrates the batsman, then one ball is slightly off key and the batsman smashes the ball to a fielder - that is good bowling, and the bowler deserves the wicket.
And if he smashes it for four (the more likely occurrance for a decent batsman), what then?

Bouncer

State Regular
I did not watch the test match live till the 4th day.... but i manage to catch some of the pictures of the abuse that akhter gave adams. and then later at the Pakistani Tv News i saw a glimps of it...he bowled a yorker...adams moves away from the stumps trying to play/avoid ball hits his bat and pad.....no appeal was made...akhter doesn't even charges towards him...looks at adams....says....F word...may be twice...turns back towartds his mark(I am actually trying to upload pic's but some how i can't......)...Trust me this by akhter's standareds ....was nothing like a big deal.... i ahve never seen akhter having a go at the spinners.... fast bowlers Oh u bet!!!! but never against spinners.

i have seen spinners do wose than that.
I think SA were looking for a way to avoid akhter in second test match..and they got it...

when i heard that Richie was going to hear the appeal i was happy, coz i thought an aussie would understand more about how it goes in field when MEN PLAY FOR WIN...but the relsult of the hearing was kindaa disappointing. thats one reason i am posting this on an Aussie forum, i realy wanted to know what u realy thought of that.

...i have been visiting this forum for two Yrs now...but this matter has made me try to get ur opinion on it.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well welcome to the forums then

Reading that convinces me that Akhtar should have been banned, so kudos to the ICC on that matter...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
And if he smashes it for four (the more likely occurrance for a decent batsman), what then?
That is not the point.

I am talking about a bowler tieing a batsman down with good balls, then the loose one getting him out - he deserves the wicket for the work put in prior to the bad ball.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bouncer said:

...i have been visiting this forum for two Yrs now...but this matter has made me try to get ur opinion on it.
like they say, it's more fun to take part. Welcome to the finest cricket website of them all - where all contributions are welcome.

<quack> except Eddie's

just ignore the duck

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
That is not the point.

I am talking about a bowler tieing a batsman down with good balls, then the loose one getting him out - he deserves the wicket for the work put in prior to the bad ball.
And that is not the point.
I am talking about what is the difference between a spell of accurate bowling followed by a bad ball that gets a wicket and one that is (and this is normal circumstances) smashed for four.
There is none as far as the bowler's ability is concerned. Anyway, how do we know that the bad ball was deliberate? All we've got is the bowler's word, and we know full well that no-one will begrudge a player what he has against his name and no-one is ever going to complain about a wicket against their name. People will only ever joke about it.
Just putting in work bowling accurately does not mean you deserve wickets unless you earn them too. And you earn wickets by moving the ball around and pitching it in the right areas, not just one or the other.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard - did you ever see Ian Botham play?

He got a tremendous number of wickets with bad balls (he got a load with absolute belters too). Part of the reason is the 'surprise' element - something the batsman doesn't expect, his eyes light up at the wide half-volley, an easy four. Only, because the ball is a little wider and fuller (and the previous few were on the money), the batsman is 'set' - his feet don't quite make it to the pitch and he's caught.

Incidentally, total wickets in the game between Bangladesh and England so far, 21. Total number of batting mistakes? 20. Total number of 'unplayable' balls which got wickets? 1 (Rajin Saleh).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Richard - did you ever see Ian Botham play?

He got a tremendous number of wickets with bad balls (he got a load with absolute belters too). Part of the reason is the 'surprise' element - something the batsman doesn't expect, his eyes light up at the wide half-volley, an easy four. Only, because the ball is a little wider and fuller (and the previous few were on the money), the batsman is 'set' - his feet don't quite make it to the pitch and he's caught.

Incidentally, total wickets in the game between Bangladesh and England so far, 21. Total number of batting mistakes? 20. Total number of 'unplayable' balls which got wickets? 1 (Rajin Saleh).
Sadly I never saw the great man more than about 6 ot 7 times, playing a game that was being played at the time I was watching. Most of his time was before mine (his Test debut was over 8 years before I was born).
Everyone says the same about him. Who knows what it was about him (everyone said he got on opposition's nerves on the field). His first Test included a five-for in which Greg Chappell was dismissed by, in Bob Willis' words, "one of the worst deliveries ever bowled in Test-match-cricket". Perhaps "one of the worst shots Greg Chappell has ever played in Test-match-cricket" would be more accurate, it was a shocker from someone with an average of over 53.
People said the same thing about Dominic Cork - I can confirm, having watched all his career, that he gets an abnormal amount of wickets with less-than-brilliant deliveries (though rarely with what I'd call bad ones), though like Botham he sure bowls some crackers.
Some players just have a strange ability to get wickets with balls they don't deserve them with. Perhaps it makes them better bowlers? Perhaps the balls were better than anyone thought?
But these players are rare and it is far more common to see a bad ball following a sequence of well-directed ones to crash into the fence and break the shackles. Good batsmen simply wouldn't be good batsmen if a short accurate spell kept getting them out.