• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZC cancel Bangladesh test series

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bangladesh tour is postponed - cricket - sport | Stuff.co.nz

So if we discount our tour to Zim, our next test series of any note is against Australia in november/december. That means in the 18 month span between our 2009/10 series against Australia and our 2011/12 series against the same side, we'll have played a grand total of 5 matches. :@

I suppose it's still better than the period from April 2006 to November 2007 when we played a grand total of 2 games against Sri Lanka and SFA else.

Still it is a little unsatisfying. Though I suppose given how we've repeatedly spurned opportunities to play test cricket in recent years (NZC cancelled matches against Pakistan and Australia to squish more ****ing T20's into the calendar, and would've done the same against India if the BCCI hadn't insisted on a 3rd match being played), we can hardly complain now that things have naturally dried up. And then there's the obvious fact of how awful we've been on the rare opportunities we'd had to actually pull on the whites. The very fact that we've come to view a test series against Bangladesh as an opportunity to watch New Zealand play competitive test cricket is just heart-breakingly hilarious.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
We are playing half as many games as it stands. A few years ago a full year almost passed without us pulling on the white clothing. How can you develop test match skills if you don't play test matches?

When does this whole test championship thing start. I would love to see an accurate rankings system when teams like West Indies, New Zealand and Bangladesh hardly play. There should be a fixed amount of games for each test status nation and NZC shouldn't be able to pull out of a test series like this. Wasn't this particular series already postponed? So we are postponing postponed test series now? WTF.

I understand that it is very hot in Bangladesh in the period that the games are scheduled but then why were they scheduled in this period in the first place? Now our next test match is in October against Zimbabwe!!

People like Kane Williamson will be lucky to play 50 test matches by the time he retires at this rate.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Clearly we are just too scared that we will lose.

NZC obviously hoping that our test team magically become world beaters and Bangladesh forget which end of the bat to hold between now and 2012.

pup11

International Coach
The way I look at it test cricket is in real trouble, among the 10 test nations, West Indies, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe hardly play any meaningful test cricket and its basically wishful thinking if anyone thinks that the future of test cricket can be bright if more teams aren't playing against each in a competitive manner.

There is real need for the ICC to not only look to improve the standards of test cricket among the existing test nations, but also look to bring in new nations into the scheme of things.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
So they reschedule this series only a few months ago to all of a sudden decide it's actually too hot to play cricket in Bangladesh during May. Brainboxes.