• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2 years time

slippy888

International Captain
It will be a sad time for international cricket fans when Sachin Tendulkar and Ricky Ponting retire, anyone else agree.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting might be gone in 2 weeks nevermind 2 years.

Players come and go, there are always new players to take a place in our hearts. They may not be quite as good but still deserve that place.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
in 12 hours Ponting might be gone. After 30 overs it could be something bad like Australia 120/5, all over for Punter, unless he is not out on 60 or something.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
It will be a sad time for international cricket fans when Sachin Tendulkar and Ricky Ponting retire, anyone else agree.
No more so than:
Lillee/Marsh/Chappell
Waqar/Wasim
the assortment of great Windies quicks
Murali/Warne
Haydos/Gilly/Langer

What I mean is that many fans actually focused on who was filling those huge shoes.

No doubt, two ATGs, SRT and Punter. Could add Kallis to that list and the current batch of classy Sri Lankans have claims too.

Australia will (hopefully) rebuild.

India will miss Sachin but there are millions of blokes who will be vying for the chance to fill those shoes, and there is so much talent in their current line-up that their overall performance may not suffer THAT much. Certainly his greatness should be celebrated - not a tinge of sadness for mine.

vcs

No more so than:
Lillee/Marsh/Chappell
Waqar/Wasim
the assortment of great Windies quicks
Murali/Warne
Haydos/Gilly/Langer

What I mean is that many fans actually focused on who was filling those huge shoes.

No doubt, two ATGs, SRT and Punter. Could add Kallis to that list and the current batch of classy Sri Lankans have claims too.

Australia will (hopefully) rebuild.

India will miss Sachin but there are millions of blokes who will be vying for the chance to fill those shoes, and there is so much talent in their current line-up that their overall performance may not suffer THAT much. Certainly his greatness should be celebrated - not a tinge of sadness for mine.
This.

Cricket >>> any individual.

robelinda

Yeah I agree with that, though I love Punter maybe his effectiveness isnt so great these days.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting is a tad different in a way though because he's the last link from a great great era of Australian cricket that has all but left us now.

robelinda

Ponting is a tad different in a way though because he's the last link from a great great era of Australian cricket that has all but left us now.
Indeed, thats why its a bit sad. When Border, Boon etc retired in the 90's, the quality of the youngsters coming through was insane- Ponting, Martyn, Langer, Hayden, Blewett, Law, Bevan, Elliott, Lehmann, it was incredible, and thats just the batsmen! Once MacGill had his good 96/97 season it was talent overkill, to even think of having two world class leggies was awesome. Then the fluke of McGrath's 95 WI tour when he wasnt even in the frame for any of the tests before McDermott and Fleming's injuries. It was looking pretty darn rosy even though test greats were retiring. Same cannot be said in 1984, even before the SA rebel tour.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
India will miss Tendulkar terribly - There's no two ways about it. Without him there's no way they'd be no.1 in Test Matches

robelinda

India will miss Tendulkar terribly - There's no two ways about it. Without him there's no way they'd be no.1 in Test Matches
Indeed, that SA tour earlier this year wouldve been a cakewalk for SA if no Sachin....guys like Sehwag are going backwards.

Burgey

Actually think Zaheer finally being able to back up his gobbing off with world class performances has had a lot more to do with India's ascension to number one than Tendulkar's resurgence these past few years, though there's no doubting he's going to be missed terribly when he's gone.

vcs

Sehwag + Gambhir opening partnership is the most important reason behind India's rise to No. 1 ranking in Tests, if you ask me.

For all his weaknesses in seaming/bouncing conditions, I would not swap Sehwag for any player in the world in Tests, and that includes your Steyns and Kallises. Objectively, I'd sooner get rid of Tendulkar or Zaheer before him.

Last edited:

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
Exactly, I never got to see Warne or Gilchrist or Hayden play apart from the IPL, I never got to see the classic Australian team, and Ponting was that one player left who was part of that era and I hope he can stay around for a bit longer,

he did say he had a good chance to play one more Ashes in the UK, I certainly hope so...