• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting steps down as Captain (Updated)

howardj

International Coach
With child number two on the way, I would not be surprised if he called it quits.

I hope he retires after the World Cup - you always look back on things in a better light (relationships, jobs etc) if you're the one who called time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Wouldn't be surprised if he did, but seeing as it's the Daily Fail I wouldn't be so sure about it.

If he fancies a spell in Birmingham I'm sure he'd be made welcome, think we still have a vacancy.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Love Mr Ponting, hope he goes out with a 201* to seal the WC away from India. You gotta hope high!

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Really hoping that Ricky doesn't retire. ODI cricket? Yes, I wouldn't have a huge issue if he choose to retire from ODI cricket.

I still firmly beleive that if Ponting steps down from the captaincy then we will see an improvement in his batting.

I hate CA.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What if his team wins the Cup ?
He might want to do the four-peat and call it quits. I don't know. If they did, perhaps he could resignt he cpataincy and just bat, but I don't know if that would be his way.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Love Mr Ponting, hope he goes out with a 201* to seal the WC away from India. You gotta hope high!
My life would be complete if this happened.

He might want to do the four-peat and call it quits. I don't know. If they did, perhaps he could resign the captaincy and just bat, but I don't know if that would be his way.
Crossing my fingers for this to happen tbh.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, whether he's pushed or he jumps, I really can't see him staying on after the Cup.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I still firmly beleive that if Ponting steps down from the captaincy then we will see an improvement in his batting.

I hate CA.
Why is it automatically CA's fault that they won't demote him from the captaincy but keep him in the team? Ricky has been an authority figure over most of these players for their entire international career, and I can see why it would be hard for players to play alongside him without him pulling the strings. In particular the captain in waiting. Ricky himself could want no part of it.

I think it's his time personally. He's been in average form for a long time, and in rubbish form for a substantial time too. Most importantly he just doesn't look like he's enjoying it anymore. I have alot of respect for the guy, and that respect would only grow if he detached himself from the team in an orderly fashion making things easier for the team to go on without him.

Still a shame, and I'll be sorry to see him go. He's been such a goliath for cricket in this country, there would be nothing better than to see him off with a WC win, with a classic Ponting ton in the final.

vcs

Can't see why he needs to hang on in ODI cricket after the WC, win or lose. Unless he has hopes of still being around when Australia host the next edition.

He still has atleast a couple of years to offer in Test cricket.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I think it's his time personally. He's been in average form for a long time, and in rubbish form for a substantial time too. Most importantly he just doesn't look like he's enjoying it anymore. I have alot of respect for the guy, and that respect would only grow if he detached himself from the team in an orderly fashion making things easier for the team to go on without him.
This.

He's been a wonderful servant of Australian cricket for a long time and he's obviously built up a lot of credit with the selectors over the years, but I think it's more or less run out. He's 36 and coming off a summer where he averaged about 20 in FC cricket with a single fifty and we lost the Ashes 3-1, if on top of that we bow out of the World Cup in the quarter finals without a significant contribution from him then his position, at least as captain, is pretty much untenable in my opinion.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
How insane is tomorrow night going to be....i'll be just a bit upset if its the last time I see Punter playing cricket. I almost feel like giving up watching cricket if he goes, I dont feel there's many players in the team who I truly hope do well- Hussey I like, Watson, the rest look average.

iamdavid

International Debutant
It'll certainly be the end of an era, he's the last remaining player from that great generation which allowed Australia to be so dominant from 1995-2007. McGrath, Warne, Waugh's, Gilchrist et al..Ponting is all that remains, and Lee I suppose but I'd be pretty suprised if he plays much beyond this tournament either.

vcs

It'll certainly be the end of an era, he's the last remaining player from that great generation which allowed Australia to be so dominant from 1995-2007. McGrath, Warne, Waugh's, Gilchrist et al..Ponting is all that remains, and Lee I suppose but I'd be pretty suprised if he plays much beyond this tournament either.
AWTA.

z

Bun

Banned
why not? the guy has been struggling for last three years. and his performance has rubbed off on others as well.