• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Bangladesh

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha wtf, how do you chase 270 and end up 60 runs short despite only losing 5 wickets? Have Bangladesh finally given up on cricket?

Redbacks

International Captain
Haha wtf, how do you chase 270 and end up 60 runs short despite only losing 5 wickets? Have Bangladesh finally given up on cricket?
This is the kind of scenarios that initiated the use of the bonus point. Unfortunately Sri Lanka were a serial offender at one stage of seeing a target of 270, getting wobbly after 15-20 overs and then boring the crowd on the way to 215 so the idea also was a fizzer.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke expressed plenty of surprise at his opponents' lack of ambition on an admittedly wearing surface. "To be honest I thought they played pretty well at the start of their innings, I was very surprised that they didn't have more of a go at the end of the game," he said. "I thought they might've played a few more shots, they still had wickets in hand, to me I'd rather lose the game with everybody getting out than only being five down and falling 70 runs short. So that surprised me more than anything else."
Says it all, really.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Disappointing game. When Iqbal fell in the 30th over the run rate was near 4 per over, it never improved dramatically from that point. Why fall 50 runs short and leave decent strikers like Shuvo and Mortaza unused?

Doherty is an honest bowler, but surely the Bangladesh domestic scene is filled with similar types of bowlers. Doherty should never have been allowed to settle on figures of 1/36 off 10.

If I was a Bangladesh fan I would be far more annoyed at my team over today’s performance than on any occasion when they are bowled out for < 100.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's the problem though. Had they been 130 all out they'd have faced more criticism, when this is in fact worse.

Spark

Global Moderator
You could see that they had both decided to go for it though in that over during Doherty. After that first six both Shakib and Tamim tried to smash him out of the park. Obviously without success but they shouldn't have stonewalled after that.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Regarding Doherty, what is everyone’s expectation of what he needs to achieve to lock the spinners spot as his own?

It should be a direct contest between Hauritz and Doherty as they are the superior OD spinners we have in this country. Doherty must be the stronger bowler if he is to retain his place, as Hauritz offers far more versatility in the field and is a better batsman.

It is going to be an interesting contest until Smith can prove himself as a first choice spinner, or O’Keefe learns to take wickets in the shorter format.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Heh sometimes I wonder Bangers. What an odd chase.

I can understand Tamim and Shakib doing the hard yards and getting out trying to up the pace. I can't understand why the last 10-15 overs wasn't all out aggression on their part.

Marmadoola looks like he went alright objectively, more of a decent anchor than the sort of role they really needed.

Flem274*

123/5
Mahmudullah is a gun player tbh. Worth so much more than the bits and pieces role they're trying to mould him into. I'd rate him the fourth or fifth best player in the side.

Never ceases to amuse me the gap in quality between Shakib, Tamim, Mortaza, Razzak, Rahim and Mahmuhdullah when compared with the rest.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Guys like Raqibul, Siddique and co. aren't all that much lower a standard though. (even Kayes but I hate him)

They just play rubbish.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Raqibul seems to be the king of playing awesome knocks against international bowling attacks in tour games and then failing in the Tests and ODIs. So frustrating.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Raqibul seems to be the king of playing awesome knocks against international bowling attacks in tour games and then failing in the Tests and ODIs. So frustrating.
I'm getting to the point where I think teams should be fined for not trying to win. If it was Pakistan doing this, the rumours would be rife and they might even be investigated over the dreaded 'f' word.

Tell me why any of the test playing nations or even the Associates should be able to get away with playing for their average and just refusing to compete in this way.

At the very least, the skipper should lose some of his match fee. Apparently they took this low road against Pakistan last year as well.

I'm just grumping I know it would be almost impossible to police.

Edit: Punter loafs these days when he runs, he was practically jogging when he got out. Or maybe he just can't run fast anymore.

Last edited:

TumTum

Banned
Guys like Raqibul, Siddique and co. aren't all that much lower a standard though. (even Kayes but I hate him)

They just play rubbish.
They are rubbish tbh. I feel BD are very overrated here. Don't really rate Shakib al Hasain that much either as a batsman, although he is a smart cricketer which is why he manages to keep a decent record. Tamim is really their only decent batsman, but unfortunately is too incautious in his stroke-play. The rest of their batsman have ugly techniques, especially Siddique.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon a big indication here is that White has just been given an extra bowling role whereas Smith's has diminished. Couple that with Smith batting low and it seems that they're giving White every opportunity to stay in the side but not extending the same courtesy to Smith.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Reckon a big indication here is that White has just been given an extra bowling role whereas Smith's has diminished. Couple that with Smith batting low and it seems that they're giving White every opportunity to stay in the side but not extending the same courtesy to Smith.
Yeah, as I said a couple of pages back I have a lot of time for Cam, good bloke, smart cricket brain and all that, but the decision to bowl him ahead of Smith was bewildering. Smith patently the better bowler and White looked like a bloke who hasn't bowled seriously for a couple of years too. Leg spin not the kind of thing that one can just dip in and out of either.

Either easing Smith towards the door or Clarke making sure he's got Victoria on side.

Blaze 18

Banned
Shakib Al Hasan: "We did not bowl well. You cannot chase 270 in this wicket. The ball was keeping low, it was hard to chase.

Kevin O'Brien : "When we were 111-5, I said to myself we could have just pottered around and got 220 off 50 overs for eight or nine and the game would have been pretty boring to watch. But I just chanced my arm and said I was going to be as positive as I can and got a few away and didn't look back."

Therein lies the difference.