• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Bangladesh

Spark

Global Moderator
Would be fascinating TSTL if he kept his place as non-captain (which I am absolutely in favour of in all respects)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He'll probably be rested anyway. Can see them playing virtually a 2nd string team.
Yeah just send an A/futures team

Many of the guys in the WC squad need this tour like a hole in the head, plenty wont be around for the next WC and we're overdue for some rebuilding anyway

pup11

International Coach
Yeah just send an A/futures team

Many of the guys in the WC squad need this tour like a hole in the head, plenty wont be around for the next WC and we're overdue for some rebuilding anyway
AWTA

I personally would send this squad...

1.Finch
2.Wade
3.White
4.Ferguson
5.Dussey
6.Smith
7.Christian
8.O'Keffe/Krezja
9.Hastings
10.Pattinson
11.Mckay
12.Hughes
13.Butterworth
14.Starc

pup11

International Coach
:laugh: Butterworth? Classic pup.
The lad has taken the wickets this season and if we sending our 2nd/3rd string side then what's the big deal, if nothing it would atleast prove his domestic stats are misleading.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
The lad has taken the wickets this season and if we sending our 2nd/3rd string side then what's the big deal, if nothing it would atleast prove his domestic stats are misleading.
Haha, what?! Doesn't he have 7 wickets @ over 40 this season?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope Watson is rested, guy needs a break. Plays all formats and looks knackered and with his injury history you wonder if he might be pushed a bit too far.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Howards right but i think CA will send a 2nd;'s team and claim their resting players but it will really just be to let them goto the IPL early and keep the indians happy.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Howards right but i think CA will send a 2nd;'s team and claim their resting players but it will really just be to let them goto the IPL early and keep the indians happy.
Keep the Indian's happy? I'm sure the players will have few complaints when those IPL payments hit the bank account.

pup11

International Coach
Haha, what?! Doesn't he have 7 wickets @ over 40 this season?
I was talking about him being the leading wicket taker in Shield cricket this season, so if he can take that many wickets in the premier format of domestic cricket then what's the harm in him giving him a go.

Surely it can't be any worse than handing ODI caps to likes of Dorey, Lewis, Laughlin, Hardwood and Geeves who all btw had very strong stats backing their ODI selections.

As for this series I don't care about the IPL but would be very disappointed if we send our full-strength side to Bangladesh, its a pretty good opportunity to send every possible young talent and see how they do in such tough conditions, would now like to see Clarke lead the side now just to see how he manages with weakened resources.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
If Butterworth isn’t a success playing ODD for Tasmania, why is he going to be a success playing ODI’s for Australia?

Select the players who are suited to the format, otherwise we could have an ODI bowling attack comprising Butterworth, Copeland, O’Keefe and Siddle if basing this upon Shield cricket only.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I was talking about him being the leading wicket taker in Shield cricket this season, so if he can take that many wickets in the premier format of domestic cricket then what's the harm in him giving him a go.
Because he's a terrible One Day bowler.

EDIT: What Noble One said.

pup11

International Coach
Because he's a terrible One Day bowler.

EDIT: What Noble One said.
Mate, let me clear this I'm no Butterworth fan but what I'm saying is if you are good enough to top the wicket-taker list in Shield cricket which is suppossed to be the toughest format then obviously you are either a good bowler or the conditions you are bowling in FC cricket are tremendously in your favour.

Also I don't think that a bowler who can bowl well with the red ball can't do the same with the white ball, all one needs to do is work on a few change ups and he should be good to go.

That's why I think likes of Copeland, Hilfenhaus, Siddle can all be pretty good LO bowlers if they work on adding a few variations to their areasnal.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mate, let me clear this I'm no Butterworth fan but what I'm saying is if you are good enough to top the wicket-taker list in Shield cricket which is suppossed to be the toughest format then obviously you are either a good bowler or the conditions you are bowling in FC cricket are tremendously in your favour.

Also I don't think that a bowler who can bowl well with the red ball can't do the same with the white ball, all one needs to do is work on a few change ups and he should be good to go.

That's why I think likes of Copeland, Hilfenhaus, Siddle can all be pretty good LO bowlers if they work on adding a few variations to their areasnal.
Well that is extremely one-eyed. There are SO MANY bowlers in the the last thirty years who were good at one form of the game, but not another (or the other). That's cricket.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Unless he retires from ODIs I don't think it makes any sense to rest Ponting. He's only got another year or so left in him and he's just had a lengthy enforced rest with the finger injury. Plus he's finally starting to look that part with the bat again, to put him on the sidelines again straight away would be stupid, I'm sure he wants to go and I think he should.

The only logical reason to 'rest' him would be to avoid making the tough call on the captaincy until August, by which time CA will have completed their review and decided who should lead.

pup11

International Coach
Well that is extremely one-eyed. There are SO MANY bowlers in the the last thirty years who were good at one form of the game, but not another (or the other). That's cricket.
Well you can put it down to lack of work ethics or desire to learn, because if you can bowl well in the longer format of the game then there is no reason why you can't do that in the LO formats as well.

Some of the best bowlers in the history of the game were equally good with both white and red ball but that's not something that just happened naturally, they worked on their skills which I don't think many (if any ) Aussie fast bowler is doing atm.

I read an article from George Bailey the other day pointing out how bowler friendly conditions are driving Australian domestic fast bowlers into a false sense security, where they are getting truckloads of wickets by just bowling wicket to wicket medium pace without having to worry about developing any variations.

So its no wonder then that most Aussie quicks don't have a clue about how to reverse, bowl slower balls, cutters or yorkers.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I want Ponting to continue to play Test Cricket, but feel that the QF against India is the right time for him to retire from ODIs.

My squad for Bangladesh..

1 Shane Watson
2 Tim Paine
3 Aaron Finch
4 Michael Clarke c
5 Callum Ferguson
6 David Hussey
7 Steve Smith
8 Steve O'Keefe
9 John Hastings
10 James Pattinson
11 Brett Lee