• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Johnson for Anderson

Andre

International Regular
So Richard Johnson replaces James Anderson in Bangladesh. Fair enough selection, but I wounldn't have minded seeing some experimentation in Bangla. A bloke like Kirby probablydeserves a go (despite his ginger hair :P)

I still think Croft will get the call for SL though.

Cloete

International Captain
yeah maybe. but I hope Johnson does well because h has the ability to be a main-stay in the team. But Kirltey may have been a better option judging by age. Actually just out of interest. What does everyone actually think of Kirtley? I mean obviously has must have some natural talent. But I'd be intereste dto know from a nEnglishman what they think.

Fred Jr

Cricket Spectator
Jono is a great bloke and deserves his call up, it was criminal to see someone do so well on Test debut then be forgotten about.

Anderson needs his rest, with any luck he'll come back as the Jimmy A who roasted Pakistan in the ODIs this summer rather than the one who seemed to find it easier to find Graeme Smith's blade than not to in the first part of this summer's series.

Shame the selectors don't seem to be able to find a place for Kabir Ali though, I've always been a big fan of his - I think they seem to think he needs to sort out his fitness which is fair enough, because I didn't see anything he did wrong at Headingley which would have made them think twice about picking him again. 3-80 and 2-60 odd is a perfectly respectable return in any match let alone Test debut.

The thing Jono and Kabir both have going for them is that they can bat a bit as well, although I have always been against picking bowlers for their batting ability. Which also explains my extreme annoyance at the lack of Jason Brown in the squads instead of Ashley Giles the "all-rounder" as Mark Nicholas had the audacity to call him (maybe at county level but cetainly not Test - if he's an all-rounder then so are Johnson, Bicknell and Mark Butcher), but there you go.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I'm actually sorta glad johnson got a call up, i like him. but kirtley i think would have been just as good, if not a better choice. he has shown potential before, it can only get better.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Kirtley? I think he's a very fine bowler, been doing a great job for Sussex over the years, destroyed England when he was over in Zimbabwe playing for Mashonaland, took 6-34 in the 2nd innings to win the Test for England against SA's strong batting line-up on his Test Debut. I couldn't believe when he was left out of the touring squad in the 1st place. Shame he's injured.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fred Jr said:
Ashley Giles the "all-rounder" as Mark Nicholas had the audacity to call him (maybe at county level but cetainly not Test - if he's an all-rounder then so are Johnson, Bicknell and Mark Butcher), but there you go.
Hmm... Mark Butcher averages 35.59 with the bat compared to Giles' 17.48 and he averages 36.06 with the ball (SR 60) compared to Giles' 41.73 (SR 94.2)...

In light of the comment...
"if he's an all-rounder then so are Johnson, Bicknell and Mark Butcher"

Interesting....:)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr. Ponting said:
Oh. And we've just been raving about how he deserves a spot.:rolleyes:

Thank god for irony.
From what I gather, the injury is not serious at this stage and the English selectors just want to ensure that he's completely fit for the ODI's.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hmm... Mark Butcher averages 35.59 with the bat compared to Giles' 17.48 and he averages 36.06 with the ball (SR 60) compared to Giles' 41.73 (SR 94.2)...

In light of the comment...
"if he's an all-rounder then so are Johnson, Bicknell and Mark Butcher"

Interesting....:)
Butcher's bowling is so rare owing to the fact it is useful in only one condition, so he only tends to bowl when that condition is prevalent.

As for criticising Giles, his bowling on friendly surfaces (ie Asia) is actually pretty close to Warne, and his batting is definitely improving beyond recognition, so his selection for the sub-continent was a certain, and he's useful to have as a number 8 if we're playing a spinner.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Fred Jr said:
Shame the selectors don't seem to be able to find a place for Kabir Ali though, I've always been a big fan of his - I think they seem to think he needs to sort out his fitness which is fair enough, because I didn't see anything he did wrong at Headingley which would have made them think twice about picking him again. 3-80 and 2-60 odd is a perfectly respectable return in any match let alone Test debut.
I think Ali's goose was well and truly cooked when Vaughan ,ade it fairly obvious he didn't rate him by hardly bowling him even though 3 fifths of the attack were knackered.

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
Butcher's bowling is so rare owing to the fact it is useful in only one condition, so he only tends to bowl when that condition is prevalent.

As for criticising Giles, his bowling on friendly surfaces (ie Asia) is actually pretty close to Warne, and his batting is definitely improving beyond recognition, so his selection for the sub-continent was a certain, and he's useful to have as a number 8 if we're playing a spinner.
Don't take it too hard Marc. :P It wasn't a serious comment. In fact, the intent was to tick you off. :)

Fred Jr

Cricket Spectator
What rumours about Croft? That he's crap at Test level? All true :P decent county player though, but surely we can do better?

and also, i think you can substitute Michael Vaughan for Mark Butcher in my last post- I never realised Butch's bowling average was as low as that, I thought he was up in the 40s-50s! but then again that still wouldnt make him much worse than Giles....:P