• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Akhtar to retire after World Cup

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Shoaib Akhtar will retire from the international game at the end of Pakistan's World Cup, bringing to an end one of cricket's most compelling and mercurial careers.

Privately, over the last few months, Shoaib had been looking at the World Cup as a final hurrah for a body increasingly unable to cope with the rigours of the international game. The tournament itself has been a mixed one for him: he was outstanding through ten overs in Pakistan's win over Sri Lanka. But after an impressive opening spell against New Zealand he was taken for runs in his final over, bowling a succession of waist high full tosses at Ross Taylor as New Zealand changed the game.

He was dropped for the subsequent Zimbabwe game - having earlier been rested in the game against Canada - and it was as much for his performance as continuing concerns over his ability to be at optimum operation in his second and third spells.

World Cup 2011: Shoiab Akhtar to retire after World Cup | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

About time.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Shoaib Akhtar to retire after World Cup

And thus will end one of the most captivating and controversial careers of all time. More than any other Pakistani cricketer, I play the "what if" game with Shoaib ((Amir and Asif come close, but they hadn't yet achieved the lofty heights that Shoaib did when on song). You know, what if he wasn't such a ****, what could he have achieved?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol at the title of the archive article. "The agony, the ecstasy, the comedy." Such a good summary of his career :laugh:

WAG. Shoaib is never finished though. He'll probably come back. He's invincible.

salman85

International Debutant
The true cricketing Rock Star.

Shoaib scattering the stumps all over the place was one of the greatest sights in Cricket i saw.Sure there were better bowlers,but the pure badass stump clatter of a Shoaib Akhtar delivery at high speed was unmatched.He didn't fulfill his potential,but that vicious pace owned some of the best batsman the world has seen.Ponting,Dravid,Tendulkar,Kallis,Gilchrist to name a few.The attitude,the pace,the women,the showmanship,the drugs.

Like a blogger worte after the Srilanka match "The sight of Shoaib Akhtar uprooting the batsman's middle stump is better than a 1000 orgasms".I couldn't agree more.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Like a blogger worte after the Srilanka match "The sight of Shoaib Akhtar uprooting the batsman's middle stump is better than a 1000 orgasms".I couldn't agree more.
The blogger must be impotent or suffering from erectile dysfunction :ph34r:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I don't now about the rest of you but I will certainly miss Shoaib. Great character on the field and always gave his best. Shame that he could have been considered amongst greats such as Wasim, Waqar, Marshall, etc.

smash84

The Tiger King
As much as I hated his bad influence on the team and his antics off the field I really did love watching him bowl. A little more dedication and commitment from him would have taken him far.

Having said that I must say that he has been one of the best entertainers of the last two decades. He definitely will be missed.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
As much as I hated his bad influence on the team and his antics off the field I really did love watching him bowl. A little more dedication and commitment from him would have taken him far.

Having said that I must say that he has been one of the best entertainers of the last two decades. He definitely will be missed.
Yep, he certainly was a great entertainer.

angad

U19 12th Man
1st Michael Jackson my childhood hero, Now Akhtar retiring underachieved. His bowling action inspired me to imitate him, and it was kind of natural to me. And he is one of 3 cricketers that I like in Pakistan XI ATM. Depressing. :(